Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 44,075 times

Advertisements

After reading a lot of commentary throughout some recent threads about what people don't like about NEPA, I thought it might be nice to have a thread devoted to what each of you likes about living in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,969,450 times
small town living with city amenities as well as lots of nature/scenery/outdoor recreation, overall friendly people, close enough to bigger cities without having to live in them, beaches within a few hours' drive, low cost of living: you couldn't buy a shed in most other places for what I paid for my Scranton house.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
Family, friends, neighbors (most of them), job, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, history, potential, location, security.

Too big of a list, really

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
I love the mountains the state parks.......lakes and rivers.
The friendly Pennsylvania people.
The fact that we can be in the City in a short amount of time and get to all those Broadway Plays........plus everything else that is wonderful there.
(Radio City, Bryant Park, all the TV show tapings, Museums)
That we are not so far from the ocean. In a few hours we can be at an ocean town swimming.
Our home lots are way more spacious then in most places.
Great spots for boating.......and lakes for swimming.
It tends to be peaceful and quiet, comforting.........The mountains hug you from all sides, no matter where you go.
Taxes are cheaper then in states around, and some home areas are so less costly too.
Great shopping places like the Lehigh Mall or the Dickson City area shops.....hummm Montage Mt. now also.
Two great airports, so we don't have to go to the biggies and be in that mess.
Plus, I am close to all the family members who are short distances away.
Oh don't we have it all.............we sure do

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

98 posts, read 378,584 times
- Family values
- tradition (various ethnic and religous traditions)
- mountains, lakes, creeks (topography)
- slower pace in general

DISLIKES
- economically depressed (and always will be)
- roads SUCK
- closed-minded-ness of the people in general

Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM

43 posts, read 112,425 times
Default the mountains

I live in hunington mills PA.. and right outside my back door is the mountains.. I love each and every day of looking at the beauty of everything. I have to move due to my husband job, so i will be moving to the big city.. but i will always have a special place for places where i grew up such as red rock mountain. I grew up in an old farm house right in the great outdoors.. ricketts glen was only a few minuets from my house!

also jamison city and benton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM

937 posts, read 2,890,091 times
Clean fresh air
views galore
nice people
small town feel
close to two major cities
friends
family
peace
quiet

Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,773 times
For me in a word..it has been what I think of when I say HOME. Now I have been in Virginia longer that I have been in PA, but it will always be home to me. Family is also another word that comes to mind. I have a large extended family and they still live in the valley. The food is also wonderful. It is great to eat at independent places and avoid the chain restaurants. Fun is another reason to love the area....fishing, hiking, tourning the small towns, and kayaking on the Lackawanna are a lot of fun.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 AM

641 posts, read 2,371,041 times
The only thing I ever liked about this area was the weather. It wasn't sunny ALL the time, and there were actually a few decent snowfalls.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 17,000 times
I have come to love living in NEPA. I didn't care for it at first when I moved here back in 1995 from Downingtown in Chester County (wife is from Forty Fort). But the cost of living is so much better. The air (for the most part) is cleaner, and I love the mountains. I now live in Laurelbrook Estates in Bear Creek Twp. and can't imagine living anywhere else.

I will agree that the area is loaded with closed minded individuals. That is one downside. But to me, the pros outweigh the cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania