Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
CHS89, why do you continue to believe there was no wrong doing here.
There's a big difference between a poorly excecuted policy and wrongdoing. I might be willing to concede that the policy as it exists may not be the most sound, but not being a doctor, that's really not my call to make. Do I think there was negligence to the extent claimed in the lawsuit? No I do not. It is my opinion that the events in the suit simply did not happen as portrayed.
Quote:
This lawsuit needed to be filed against any potential wrong doing in the future.
That's not really what lawsuits are designed to do.
Quote:
And don't believe everything...(Munchak and Cordaro) say. They have been proven to be less than credible.
I will trust the credibility of two lawyers over that of a woman who manufactures and distributes crack cocaine. You wouldn't. We're at an impasse.
Quote:
And from Dan's horror story about his friend, I def. question the way this prison handles people medical wise.
If that's what you want to do, based on anecdotal evidence, then by all means question away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre
Saying "she got what she deserved" is fine for the mother, but did you ever stop to consider what MIGHT have happened to the innocent baby? I didn't think so.
If you're accusing me of saying that, kindly point out where I used that phrase in this thread?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
One can only hope that the lawsuit filed against the county results in a HUGE settlement that will force a major tax increase onto city residents.
Easily said by a Luzerne County resident.
Quote:
the fact that he's trying to say that things are being blown out of proportion only further reduces his credibility.
But Staten's credibility is so sterling that her account is being accepted in its entirety, without question?
Quote:
What if that was his mother giving birth to him in a sterile prison cell?
If his mother was a prisoner, then so be it.
Quote:
...did NOT deserve to be brought into this world in such a risky, despicable fashion.
WHAT HAS BEEN PROVEN BEYOND DOUBT TO BE SO DAMN RISKY?? This is about the fourth time I've asked this question, and no one can answer it, because NOTHING HAS BEEN PROVEN! It's the County's word against a prisoners word.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
If you're accusing me of saying that, kindly point out where I used that phrase in this thread?
Well, that exact quote wasn't taken word for word by any means. Perhaps I read into the comments below a little bit too much about the way you basically don't view her as a human being and the fact that she has "forfeited many rights, credibility, and respect" before going on to compare her to being beneath an animal. Was proper childbirth among the "rights" she forfeited by being sent to prison?

Quote:
As a former and likely future convict, and a current prisoner, she has forfeited many rights, don't forget that. And she's also forfeited a truckload of credibility and respect, too. Finally this woman couldn't obey basic laws of society. At least animals obey laws of the pack.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Well, that exact quote wasn't taken word for word by any means. Perhaps I read into the comments below a little bit too much about the way you basically don't view her as a human being and the fact that she has "forfeited many rights, credibility, and respect" before going on to compare her to being beneath an animal. Was proper childbirth among the "rights" she forfeited by being sent to prison?
You read too much into my comments, and I didn't compared her to being beneath an animal. The animal comment was in response to an earlier comment about "that's what seperates us..."

The respect she forfeited was the respect that her statement and account of anything would be taken at face value. That's what's being done in this thread. She said that the baby dropped to the floor and that the umbilical cord was cut with fingernails. Nothing other than her account of the events that night supports this, and yet I'm the only one expressing any doubt.

Fifth time...what was "improper" about a federal prisoner giving birth in prison while in custody? If she didn't manufacture and attempt to distribute crack cocaine (hell, even if she did but wasn't caught doing so), then she could have delivered the girl anywhere she wanted. Unfortunately for her, she was caught committing a crime and was being housed in a place where we send criminals, and that's where she wound up giving birth.

Listen, if her account does turn out to be 100% true and accurate, not only will I come back and post an apology in this thread, but I might even be moved to send her letter of apology wherever she is incarcerated.

If and until that time comes, however, I reserve the right to have my doubts about the validity of her claims.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
I will trust the credibility of two lawyers over that of a woman who manufactures and distributes crack cocaine. You wouldn't. We're at an impasse.
I wouldn't trust most lawyers to scoop my cat's litter box. And I definitely don't trust Cordaro (lawyer) and Munchak (an accountant) as far as I can throw them.

And this is coming from someone who voted for those 2 stooges the first time. I was happy to be rid of Corcoran....but these clowns were no improvement.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
... She said that the baby dropped to the floor and that the umbilical cord was cut with fingernails....
Again, just a reminder...if the child dropped, it would NOT be well and it is hard enough to cut the umbilical cord with the scissors made for the purpose, let alone fingernails. I am surprised she wasn't sent back to CMC.....

Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Actually Mary the guard is the one that indicated she cut the cord with a nail. Her water broke and she gave birth on the floor alone. That is from a guard directly. No one was paying attention and there were no proper medical staff or supplies to be found. The call to 911 took so long because no one was watching the monitor, they were not their post.........

Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Actually Mary the guard is the one that indicated she cut the cord with a nail. Her water broke and she gave birth on the floor alone. That is from a guard directly.
Do you have a cite for this? Everything I've seen has been from Staten, her grandmother, or her lawyer. I don't recall seeing anything relating to her four or so hours of labor that was directly attributed to any of the guards or staff on duty. Something about "federal medical privacy law".

Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Do you have a cite for this? Everything I've seen has been from Staten, her grandmother, or her lawyer. I don't recall seeing anything relating to her four or so hours of labor that was directly attributed to any of the guards or staff on duty. Something about "federal medical privacy law".

I was a bit skeptical as well until the conclusion of yesterday's city council meeting, at which point Daniel made it clear to me that he knew of an "insider" at the prison who said that the ordeal was actually much more hellish and traumatizing than even the "rag" of the Scranton Times-Tribune is reporting. If it's true that this woman's pleas for help were ignored because the guards were asleep at the helm, then I hope Lackawanna County gets what it rightfully deserves in this lawsuit. You people elect people who oversee the prison in some capacity, yet they are too busy making themselves look good to all of our Manhattan tourists who come to PNC Field to actually take random prison tours to get a true glimpse of what is occurring there. What's so "Lackawanna Wonderful" about this terrible situation?

Dan and I may have gotten off to a bumpy start when he first joined this forum (he thought I was Doherty's sidekick, and I thought he was a malcontent), but I now give him much, much more credit where credit is due for thoroughly-researching such topics. If he says he has insider information about this incident, then I'll believe him 100%. Lackawanna County taxpayers better just hope that they won't see another major hit in the wallet if this settlement comes through.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
...Daniel made it clear to me that he knew of an "insider" at the prison who said that the ordeal was actually much more hellish and traumatizing than even the "rag" of the Scranton Times-Tribune is reporting.
...If he says he has insider information about this incident, then I'll believe him 100%.
I'm a bit more skeptical, Paul. His word is worth as much to me as mine is to him. Until it's publicly documented and verifiable, his alleged third-hand "insider" information is worthless and Dan knows it. His "insider" could be a triple murderer for all I know. How do I know it's a guard? Just because Dan says so? Please...

If he can prove what he says, great. Then I'll believe him. Until then, pass the salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania