Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM

15 posts, read 87,608 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend of mine who said there may be something like this at the state or county level. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any or where I can find any info on them?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,190,047 times
Most credit repair are a scam. The only way to repair your credit is to pay your bills on time and keep debt low.
If you have a bankruptcy, discharges or repossessions all you can do is wait until they drop off your report.

If you pay your bills on time, your credit will repair itself.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,384,351 times
Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Northeastern Pennsylvania

Good luck cheaperthandirt!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM

889 posts, read 2,581,810 times
I think fatwallet.com is a safer bet than anything you'll ever find in a so-called class. And especially beware of anyone or anything that offers to help you for a fee.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,780,565 times
On average, how long would it take to repair one's credit score from the low end of "Fair" to the higher end of "Good" or even the entry-level of "Excellent" if they are able to pay all their bills on time and keep low balances on their credit accounts? Could one realistically reach this goal within 2-4 years? I had some financial burdens hit me rather harshly from when I was in (and moving out of) Northern Virginia, and I've now begun the long road of repairing my credit on my own while working 60-hour work-weeks. At what point can I actually apply for a mortgage without most banks laughing in my face?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,183,625 times
Bad entries stay for 7 years, good ones stay for 10 years. A free way of improving credit is to use credit cards for everything and pay them in full every month. But that requires self control and knowing how much you have before you make any purchases.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,966,545 times
My Mom gave me the best credit advice, while it may not be in line with the experts it worked for me, my ex-husband (after our divorce) and my sisters. She said, start with the lowest bill ( not the lowest interest, I know, you may pay more, but we need to see accomplishments as people) when that is paid off, take what you were paying on that and add it to the next lowest bill, pay that off and send those payments to the next, and so on. Beleive it or not, before you know it, you will have them all paid off in rapid sucession. After they are paid off, DO NOT CLOSE THEM, cut them up, freeze them, put in a safety deposit box, but closing them does not look good on your credit report. Keep on for emergencies, and do not use them. Buy a pre-loaded charge card, and pay cash...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,154,504 times
Cut up the cards ..

pay off the amount you owe ..

Problem solved

Advice is FREE ..

Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,384,351 times
Yeah it's just that easy folks! @@

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
oooh man im still laughing from a buddy who tried one of these bone headed repair scams.

the idea was to keep applying for as many credt cards as you can and each time change something slightly. maybe transpose your address, an old address etc .

the idea was that while the reporting agency data base is very good at finding you based on your info even if you screw up and reporting your poor history its not perfect.

the idea is to hit upon a combo of info that comes back no credit history.

now you open a bank account with that data , eventually take a passbook loan and start to fill up a new credit history file. then you apply for new credit cards with that info.

well all the creditors that stopped hounding him once he moved to florida now got his new address and phone number. all the collection agencys started calling him again .. to funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania