Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm I can add coal to my soil .. Maybe thats what I need ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM

142 posts, read 362,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just wanted to say that our ten day forecast on the Weather Channel is showing lows of 24 and 29 degrees for Monday (the 26th) and Tuesday (27th). That could be cold enough to hurt some of our newly planted (unprotected) crops, flowers and bushes.
Will those cold temps kill all of the flowers on the trees that came out this week and the budding leaves?? If so that just sucks :-(

Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 PM

124 posts, read 194,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Hmmmm I can add coal to my soil .. Maybe thats what I need ..
lol hey i know it sounds weird but i worked in the garden center at kmart years ago during college and every old timer that came in would tell me all kinds of info about gardening. So, whether its true or not that is the info they passed on to me.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenReject View Post
lol hey i know it sounds weird but i worked in the garden center at kmart years ago during college and every old timer that came in would tell me all kinds of info about gardening. So, whether its true or not that is the info they passed on to me.

I'll try a little patch and compare it .. It cant hurt ...

Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM

124 posts, read 194,604 times
haha i don't think they actually add coal to the ground where they garden. where i live it is already in there either deep in the ground or the acid comes from rainwater runoff from places where it is/was mined. putting it right on top might be too much. but do give an update if you do

Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Will those cold temps kill all of the flowers on the trees that came out this week and the budding leaves?? If so that just sucks :-(
I worry about my fruit trees. If they would bloom before that one cold night coming up; I would probably have no fruit this year. Fortunately; my apple trees do not look close to flowering. My pear trees are pretty close to the point where the buds will open. A little rain might be all that is needed for the pear trees to open right before the coming cold snap.

I see that one of my neighbors has a flowering cherry tree in bloom. I don’t think that the cold snaps will affect the ornamental trees - but I really don’t know.

I do know that a early warm period and then a late freeze can affect the oaks and their acorn production. That can force our wildlife to look to our gardens to supplement their diets.

Even if we get past this cold snap on Monday or Tuesday; we can still have a later freeze in early April.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenReject View Post
haha i don't think they actually add coal to the ground where they garden. where i live it is already in there either deep in the ground or the acid comes from rainwater runoff from places where it is/was mined. putting it right on top might be too much. but do give an update if you do

I'll mix some coal powder in a small area and see if they do better then the others ,, I use Bat guano too .. I get that free and make a tea out of it ... The plants LOVE IT ,,

Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Riverside,

It looks like my lettuce survived the 20 degree temperature the other night. I just hope that it didn’t hurt the fruit trees. Fortunately; they were not in bloom.

Are you still thinking about doing any planting soon?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Riverside,

It looks like my lettuce survived the 20 degree temperature the other night. I just hope that it didn’t hurt the fruit trees. Fortunately; they were not in bloom.

Are you still thinking about doing any planting soon?
Im going to be starting soon,, But inside ,,, Im glad your lettuce made it ... ..

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,354,665 times
I how do you guys keep the deer away from your crops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania