Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 PM

10 posts, read 33,453 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm Rob, and I just graduated from St. John's University in Queens, NY. I'm going to be doing a pharmacy practice residency at Wilkes University as an adjunct professor starting July 2. My time will be split between about equally between the University, Mercy Hospital in Scranton and Allied Rehab in Scranton.

So I'm essentially looking for a place comfortably between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. I have briefly searched the forum, found some great help, and noticed that SWB has a lot of knowledge of the area (I hope he talkes a look over here!). I enjoyed his photo tour of Garden Village/West Pittston very much!

Since this is probably a temporary re-location for me, I was just looking at apartment complexes and the like, though other arrangements are not out of the question. Unfortunately, there's not too much information online that's readily available about the area (until I found this forum!). My director pointed me towards East Mountain Apartments in particular. Their website makes it look relatively attractive, and I think the amenities made available are worth the extra rent. It is also close to the highway, so I can just head up to the hospitals relatively quickly (I'm used to Long Island/NYC traffic).

I will be taking a road trip into the area tomorrow, so any recommendations put my way in the meantime (or even after then) are very much welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
Kuzin Rob, my neice graduated from St. Johns last spring, also in the Pharmacy Dept. I'm sure Scranton/WilkesBarre will give you some great ideas. I moved here to Pa, 25 miles outside of Scranton 13 yrs ago from Long Island.
Just want to wish you the best of luck on your move here!!
And by the way.... you will NEVER see traffic like the traffic on L.I. in this area. You will laugh at what is referred to as traffic here!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzinRob View Post
Hi all,

I'm Rob, and I just graduated from St. John's University in Queens, NY. I'm going to be doing a pharmacy practice residency at Wilkes University as an adjunct professor starting July 2. My time will be split between about equally between the University, Mercy Hospital in Scranton and Allied Rehab in Scranton.

So I'm essentially looking for a place comfortably between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. I have briefly searched the forum, found some great help, and noticed that SWB has a lot of knowledge of the area (I hope he talkes a look over here!). I enjoyed his photo tour of Garden Village/West Pittston very much!

Since this is probably a temporary re-location for me, I was just looking at apartment complexes and the like, though other arrangements are not out of the question. Unfortunately, there's not too much information online that's readily available about the area (until I found this forum!). My director pointed me towards East Mountain Apartments in particular. Their website makes it look relatively attractive, and I think the amenities made available are worth the extra rent. It is also close to the highway, so I can just head up to the hospitals relatively quickly (I'm used to Long Island/NYC traffic).

I will be taking a road trip into the area tomorrow, so any recommendations put my way in the meantime (or even after then) are very much welcome. Thanks!

First of all, thanks very much for the compliments! I currently attend King's College, the arch-rival of your future school, but I do have plenty of friends who can't say enough great things about Wilkes University, so you're headed for a great institution.

As far as apartment communities are concerned, I'd probably steer you somewhere around my neck of the woods---Greater Pittston. We're just 15 minutes or so from either Wilkes-Barre or Scranton, giving us the best of both worlds while still having that "small-town charm." My particular hometown of Pittston Township is exploding rapidly in growth in all sectors, which has been a blessing for the community's tax base but a burden in the way of traffic congestion along Highway 315.

I can't really think of very many apartment complexes in my particular area though, as it's mostly suburban-ish with a lot of single-family detached homes and duplexes. There's a small apartment complex along Everhart Street in Dupont that I run by during my workouts, and it seems to be rather well-kept. However, it doesn't have a web site, and I don't think there's any units available at this time. If you have your heart set on renting as opposed to an inexpensive single-family home purchase or townhome purchase and want to live equidistant to both Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, you'll have to probably settle for a larger home that has been subdivided into a two-unit or three-unit property, as complexes are scarce here.

East Mountain seems to be rather well-kept and is in a great location. East Mountain Drive, which runs in front of the property, is a pothole-ridden mess around Geisinger Hospital, so I'll caution you to be quite careful if you should happen to scope that place out tomorrow. My grandmother is currently in that hospital, so we've been driving past East Mountain on a daily basis now, and it seems to be a quiet area (other than the ambulances that drive by of course).

Another popular complex is the "Lofts @ The Mill" in Scranton's trendy "Hill Section." Normandy Holdings LLC Real Estate in NEPA Northeast PA Real Estate Marywood University This is an old silk mill that has been converted into NYC-style loft apartments, but I believe the waiting list to get in there is very long, which is why there are so many loft apartment projects on Scranton's horizon in the upcoming years. I have a friend who has a unit there, and I was quite impressed with it.

Finally, there is a large townhome community in Laflin called "Oakwood Park" that is also quite popular with commuters. On rare occasion, a unit will become available for rental (most are owned). There's also a brand new townhome community in Pittston Township called "Horizon Estates," although rentals here are scarce as well.

Somewhere in the Pittston/West Pittston/Dupont/Avoca area would probably be your best bet to be near both cities. Then again, also realize that I-81 is a much different beast than the L.I.E. Here, 15 miles on I-81 would take roughly 20 minutes. That would probably take more like an hour on the L.I.E.

Best of luck, and welcome in advance to NEPA!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Kuzin Rob, my neice graduated from St. Johns last spring, also in the Pharmacy Dept. I'm sure Scranton/WilkesBarre will give you some great ideas. I moved here to Pa, 25 miles outside of Scranton 13 yrs ago from Long Island.
Just want to wish you the best of luck on your move here!!
And by the way.... you will NEVER see traffic like the traffic on L.I. in this area. You will laugh at what is referred to as traffic here!
Thank you! Happy to hear the traffic report, haha What's your niece's first name, I might know her.

Last edited by KuzinRob; 05-30-2007 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Quoting

Old 05-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
First of all, thanks very much for the compliments! I currently attend King's College, the arch-rival of your future school, but I do have plenty of friends who can't say enough great things about Wilkes University, so you're headed for a great institution.

As far as apartment communities are concerned, I'd probably steer you somewhere around my neck of the woods---Greater Pittston. We're just 15 minutes or so from either Wilkes-Barre or Scranton, giving us the best of both worlds while still having that "small-town charm." My particular hometown of Pittston Township is exploding rapidly in growth in all sectors, which has been a blessing for the community's tax base but a burden in the way of traffic congestion along Highway 315.

I can't really think of very many apartment complexes in my particular area though, as it's mostly suburban-ish with a lot of single-family detached homes and duplexes. There's a small apartment complex along Everhart Street in Dupont that I run by during my workouts, and it seems to be rather well-kept. However, it doesn't have a web site, and I don't think there's any units available at this time. If you have your heart set on renting as opposed to an inexpensive single-family home purchase or townhome purchase and want to live equidistant to both Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, you'll have to probably settle for a larger home that has been subdivided into a two-unit or three-unit property, as complexes are scarce here.

East Mountain seems to be rather well-kept and is in a great location. East Mountain Drive, which runs in front of the property, is a pothole-ridden mess around Geisinger Hospital, so I'll caution you to be quite careful if you should happen to scope that place out tomorrow. My grandmother is currently in that hospital, so we've been driving past East Mountain on a daily basis now, and it seems to be a quiet area (other than the ambulances that drive by of course).

Another popular complex is the "Lofts @ The Mill" in Scranton's trendy "Hill Section." Normandy Holdings LLC Real Estate in NEPA Northeast PA Real Estate Marywood University This is an old silk mill that has been converted into NYC-style loft apartments, but I believe the waiting list to get in there is very long, which is why there are so many loft apartment projects on Scranton's horizon in the upcoming years. I have a friend who has a unit there, and I was quite impressed with it.

Finally, there is a large townhome community in Laflin called "Oakwood Park" that is also quite popular with commuters. On rare occasion, a unit will become available for rental (most are owned). There's also a brand new townhome community in Pittston Township called "Horizon Estates," although rentals here are scarce as well.

Somewhere in the Pittston/West Pittston/Dupont/Avoca area would probably be your best bet to be near both cities. Then again, also realize that I-81 is a much different beast than the L.I.E. Here, 15 miles on I-81 would take roughly 20 minutes. That would probably take more like an hour on the L.I.E.

Best of luck, and welcome in advance to NEPA!
Thank you, sir, you made my day tomorrow much easier! I'll be checking out the Pittston tomorrow, then. This might be a taboo question, but any places you would avoid?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzinRob View Post
Thank you, sir, you made my day tomorrow much easier! I'll be checking out the Pittston tomorrow, then. This might be a taboo question, but any places you would avoid?
Not really. Crime is unheard of around Greater Pittston with the exception of petty teenage stuff like vandalism, underage drinking, or graffiti. You'll probably want to vomit incessantly when you pull into the downtown area of Pittston, as it has been horribly ravaged by urban blight over the years to the point where its Main Street is largely vacant with tumbleweed rolling by (I hope to soon do a powerful photo tour of it to show the nay-sayers just how much urban sprawl does kill smaller downtowns). Nevertheless, all of the surrounding suburbs are nice, tranquil, and affordable. West Pittston is probably the most sought-after community in the Greater Pittston area for its tree-lined streets and Victorian architecture (as you saw in my Garden Village Photo Tour thread). Pittston Township is blossoming in population due to its convenient location for dually-employed couples where the husband works in Wilkes-Barre and the wife in Scranton or vice-versa, as we're the home for the exits for I-81 and I-476.

Basically, the city of Pittston itself will be your best bet for finding a rental property, but it's also the least attractive area aesthetically with a lot of urban blight issues. Avoca is a nice quiet town as well with a Main Street area that is still largely vibrant. Ditto for Dupont, even though its downtown lacks the charm that Avoca's has. In both Avoca and Dupont, be leery of the railroad tracks, as we live a full half-mile from them and still hear the train whistles blowing loudly in the middle of the night from our hilltop location.

I'll see if I can find any relevant listings for you, which I'll post on here in a reply within the hour. Good luck! P.S. I'd meet you tomorrow to help show you around town, but I'll be pulling a rather lengthy shift at work tomorrow and probably won't have the time. Sorry!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM

Wow, I really appreciate your help, SWB!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Classified Listings

Here are some classified listings I found for the area in the local newspapers (Times-Leader, Citizens' Voice, Scranton Times-Tribune):

Unfurnished Apartments

PITTSTON TWP. 2 bedroom, 1 bath, basement, washer/ dryer hookup, water & sewer included, $420 + utilities & security. 570-654-4540 after 3 p.m.

AVOCA 1st floor,1 bedroom, carpeted refrigerator. stove water sewer garbage included. $375 month + utilities, security, references, no pets. 570-328-4646

WEST PITTSTON Available June 1st, 1 bedroom, living room, dining room, wall to wall carpeting, washer/ dryer, refrigerator & stove. Modern kitchen & bath, 2nd floor. $495 month heat sewer & water included. 1 month security with 1 year lease. References required. No pets. Call 570-446-7682 or 693-2372

WEST PITTSTON Luzerne Ave. 1 bedroom, 2nd floor apartment. Convenient location. $475 + utilities + security. No pets. 570-885-0495

PITTSTON 98 William Street 1 or 2 bedroom, modern, includes appliances, off street parking $500 month plus utilities No pets. Call 570-655-9771

PITTSTON Tompkin St. Don't Miss this one Excellent 4 rooms, very clean. $425 Includes Heat Refrigerator, stove, carpeting, ceiling fans, blinds, huge closet space. washer & dryer hookup. Lease, No pets, 570-288-5343

PITTSTON 2 bedrooms, sewer & garbage included. $400 + utilities & security. References. 570-883-7322

PITTSTON Modern 1 to 2 bedroom. Refrigerator, stove, washer, dryer, water, sewer & carport included. Nice neighborhood, no pets. Non smoker. Credit check & lease. $500 - $525 month + utilities. 570-451-0529

PITTSTON 3 rooms, 1 bedroom, 2nd floor, all appliances, off street parking, nice location. $325/ month + utilities. 570-562-7949

PITTSTON 4 rooms & bath, 2nd floor, No pets. Non smokers. Some utilities included. $500 + security & references. 570-655-2567

WEST PITTSTON 2 bedrooms. Modern Kitchen. Washer/dryer hookup. Private deck 570-430-3095 or 570-655-4111

WEST PITTSTON 917 Wyoming Ave. 2nd floor, 1 bedroom. Stove, refrigerator new carpeting. Heat, water & sewer included. No pets. $550 month. 570-825-0666

AVOCA 3 rooms, modern, appliances, washer & dryer hookup, off street parking, security, no pets. $410 month. 570-655-1606

PITTSTON 2 room efficiency. wall to wall carpeting, appliances, Security. No pets. $300 month + utilities. 570-655-1606

WEST PITTSTON Luzerne Ave. 2nd floor, 1 bedroom, Eat in kitchen, hardwood floors, Heat included. $475 + security, No pets. Call 9 -5 Monday - Sunday. 570-654-3384

DURYEA 3 bedroom, 1st floor, off street parking, rent includes heat, water sewer, $600 month plus security. No dogs. Available 7/1. 570-817-4669

Furnished Apartments

PITTSTON 1 bedroom furnished apartment. Remodeled. Includes AC washer, dryer, side by side refrigerator with ice & water dispenser, glass top range, microwave, trash compactor & garage disposal. New bathroom with shower, new wall to wall carpeting, living room & bedrooms set. Plenty of closet space with mirror doors, patio, off street parking. $575 + security includes heat, hot water, water, sanitation & refuge. Call 570-883-7458 0r 202-425-7388

House Rentals

PITTSTON Lease with option to buy. Completely remodeled 3 bedroom home, with modern kitchen and bath, large rooms, oil heat, large yard, Off street parking, Lease/ buy this home for $695 / month with $1000 down. 30 years. 6% $109,900 570- 817-2500 570-654-1490

Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
KuzinRob, my neice hails from Elmont too! My husband was born and raised there. My neice's first name is Blaine. She is a sweatheart, we love her to death.
I'm glad Scranton/WilkesBarre is coming through for you, I knew he would! I bet those rents are a lot cheaper than on L.I. too. When you see how much cheaper everything is, you might not want to go back! And you won't miss the big LIE. I know I don't! My kids, who are 19 and 15 usually fall asleep while we travel to L.I., but wake up when the traffic starts, and they get a kick out of it, they hardly ever see it!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Wow, small world! I actually used to work with Blaine for a short time. We would have been in the same class, but I started pharmacy school a year after graduating from high school.

The rent certainly is a lot cheaper than here. One of my friends is paying like $1200 for his 1-BR. It's quite a challenge to live here.

SWB, thanks so much for the listings. Looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania