Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,697,470 times

Advertisements

We are originally from Long Island NY, currently we are living in Henderson Nevada. We were wondering how well New Yorkers are accepted in NEPA?

We were researching Lancaster County Pa for awhile but many friends said that its tough for New Yorkers to be accepted there. Is that the same for the Scranton Suburbs?

Can you recommend any nice, suburban areas to live within 20-30 mins of Scranton?

we are hoping to find good schools, low crime area and an area with housing in the 240-315,000 range.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
You might experience of few small remarks or looks but I think the area is pretty tolerant. I know quite a few migrants from New York and Philly. Having lived in Philly myself as well as New Jersey I can say that most of us blend right in. When locals find out I am not a native of the area they don't act fazed one bit.

The one thing I have read on this site is to try not to say "you don't have" or other similar put down remarks or you will be summarily dismissed as an arrogant New Yorker.

I love the nature here and most people are down to earth and nice. Try Clarks Summit to be close to Scranton or for slighty farther I like Tunkhannock.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:47 PM

620 posts, read 2,056,236 times
Clarks Summit is a good suggestion. I also recommend Honesdale. I live about 8 miles north of Honesdale. Being originally from Long Island or Queens is VERY common around Honesdale. When I first moved here, I'd say more than half of the people I met in the first month relocated here from somewhere in the NY metro area.

It is more like 40 minutes to Scranton, depending on where you live, but a beautiful drive on Rt 6.

It is a quiet place with a nice downtown that is busier than most other downtowns in the area. Surrounded by farm land and beautiful countryside. I'd be happy to talk more about it if you want, or send me a message.

Peace
Michael

Old 03-15-2008, 04:27 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we feel like we never left new york

Old 03-15-2008, 04:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
NEPA is indeed becoming the Seventh Borough of New York City, so you have nothing to be apprehensive about. Just Thursday I helped a customer at work who had just moved to Forty Fort, near Wilkes-Barre, from New York City, and was apparently rather happy with her decision. NY and NJ license plates are seen very frequently in our area; I myself am friends with quite a large number of them. You truly have nothing to fear. You might get one or two sour grapes types of attitudes from folks who think the influx of new residents from NYC/NJ is destroying our quality-of-life, but by and large that's just a bunch of hysteria.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Default school districts & more in NEPA

Thanks for the info! What school districts are know as some of the best out there in NEPA? We would like to be 30 mins or less away from Scranton. Safety is an issue. But at the same time our max for a house is 300,000, hoping to pay less.

We have no idea of the town names to search under realtor sites. Please recommend a few nice towns to raise a family with good schools.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
NEPA is indeed becoming the Seventh Borough of New York City, so you have nothing to be apprehensive about. Just Thursday I helped a customer at work who had just moved to Forty Fort, near Wilkes-Barre, from New York City, and was apparently rather happy with her decision. NY and NJ license plates are seen very frequently in our area; I myself am friends with quite a large number of them. You truly have nothing to fear. You might get one or two sour grapes types of attitudes from folks who think the influx of new residents from NYC/NJ is destroying our quality-of-life, but by and large that's just a bunch of hysteria.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thanks for the info! What school districts are know as some of the best out there in NEPA? We would like to be 30 mins or less away from Scranton. Safety is an issue. But at the same time our max for a house is 300,000, hoping to pay less.

We have no idea of the town names to search under realtor sites. Please recommend a few nice towns to raise a family with good schools.

Thanks!
What setting are you specifically searching for? Are you looking for newer suburban housing subdivisions? Stable yet older in-town neighborhoods? A little bit of acreage with a wooded backdrop?

Two of the most highly-acclaimed school districts in Lackawanna County are North Pocono and Abington Heights. North Pocono is located along I-380 and is the "buffer zone" between Scranton and the Pocono Mountains. Its "hub" is the small town of Moscow, which is a blend of older homes with character and luxury homes in the Harmony Hills community. From Moscow you'll be about 15 minutes south of Scranton via I-380 and about 45 minutes away from the NJ border at the Delaware Water Gap on I-80. This is indeed a nice area to call home, but it is also, in my personal opinion, the MOST sprawl-threatened area in our region. Adjacent Monroe County and the Pocono Mountain School District have been bursting at the seams with new growth, and that is inevitably going to spill over into Lackawanna County and the North Pocono area in particular. If you should happen to purchase a lot here in a newer subdivision like Windsor Hill, Mack Estates, Beechwood Hill, etc., then be very careful about zoning of adjacent property or else your wooded backdrop could become a Wal-Mart or fast-food store in 5-10 years. Our parents found this out the hard way here in the rapidly growing Pittston area, where in 1996 one could hear a pin drop on Highway 315. Now, trees all around us will soon be coming down as our subdivision is literally surrounded by a new shopping center and commerce park. Academics wise, North Pocono has 7 advanced placement courses at its high school, which is above-average for the region.

Abington Heights is anchored around the upper-middle-class town of Clarks Summit. It is a very peaceful, desirable area in which to raise a family, but it comes at a price, as I don't think you'll be able to find many "decent" homes there any more for under $200,000 (which is steep for our area). Routes 6 & 11 (Northern Blvd.) through the village of Chinchilla is home to all sorts of businesses ranging from Krispy Kreme to Bennigan's to Sheetz to Damon's and everything in between. Clarks Summit itself is a nice borough home to annual festivals like the Festival of Ice (which was photographed by our moderator, coartist88), and its downtown is yuppie-oriented with an organics market, kitchen store, upscale bistro, galleries, etc.

The Lakeland and Lackawanna Trail School Districts are both near Clarks Summit but have slightly lower housing prices and property taxes because they aren't as rapidly growing as Abington Heights.

You'll want to go to Greater Scranton Board of Realtors, Inc. - Home and search for homes by school district. This is MUCH easier than using Realtor.com, which often confuses towns.

If we can be of any further help, please let us know. Welcome in advance to Pennsylvania!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Most people have no problem accepting Nyers. My only complaint is that a small minority of people here make generalizations that we ( NYers, NJites) have brought the drug problem to NEPA. These folks tend to have an "old school" mind set.

I do get some side way looks on occasion since my outgoing personality seems to not be the norm, but heck...I use to get on Long Island too! LOl

Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
We are originally from Long Island NY, currently we are living in Henderson Nevada. We were wondering how well New Yorkers are accepted in NEPA?

We were researching Lancaster County Pa for awhile but many friends said that its tough for New Yorkers to be accepted there. Is that the same for the Scranton Suburbs?

Can you recommend any nice, suburban areas to live within 20-30 mins of Scranton?

we are hoping to find good schools, low crime area and an area with housing in the 240-315,000 range.

Thanks
Hello Positiveone,The nice suburban area outside of Scranton I recomend is clarks summit.I am also from NY and have a home there and love it. Scranton is approx. 6 miles away,You can get a very nice house with land for 200-300
taxes approx. 2k to 4k, It is a very safe friendy area.I can speak from personal experience the people I have met and dealt with in NEPA are friendly, wonderful people.When we came out we were accepted with open arms and have made friends out here also.Feel free to ask for more info, the people of this NEPA are very helpful.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 AM

24 posts, read 77,665 times
Default Lakeview Estates is NY friendly

Hi There...There are only a few really New York friendly communities in the Poconos. Gouldsboro is around 20minutes south of Scranton and maybe 15 minutes north of route 80 where a lot of the skiing can be found. Check out lakeviewestates.com. I own here and cant say enough good things about it. The homes are gorgeous, the lake is beautiful, the people are really nice too. You could buy a home or buy land and build your own home which may be more cost-effective too. Craigslist.com usually has lots for sale if you go through the "pennsylvania/poconos/realestate for sale" links on the craigslist site and search in Gouldsboro. Someone has an acre for sale in the development right now. Homes are posted on occasion too. Hope this helps!

Beautiful Views in Lakeview Estates (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania