Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,740 times

Advertisements

Hello! So my husband and I are considering moving to the Poconos. We currently live in Orange County, NY, and plan on commuting (he will be driving to Newburgh and I will be driving to Goshen, NY.) We both have been looking at property and have found many beautiful homes, but most appear to be in gated communities, which makes us a little hesitant. Could anyone suggest some places that aren't gated and still within commuting range of Orange (we figure we are looking to commute approximately an hour each way.) Also, are there any gated communities that you know of that won't charge an arm and leg for HOA fees and are still nice to live in? I'm finding all the different subdivisions a little confusing since I'm so unfamiliar with the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:01 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
Not sure what you're price range is and how long of a commute is ok? Pocono Woodland Lake Estates in the Milford area is still pretty low dues and decent prices. A bit more but nice is a subdivision called Oak Ridge Estates. Hickory Hills in Milford too....again, depends how far you're willing to drive, the farther you go the cheaper! My husband commutes an hour to NJ from Lake Wallenpaupack. Way worth it.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Thank you We are hoping to commute approximately an hour each way...and are looking to max out price-wise at about $200,000. (hopefully lower since we are just starting out and have no children...!)

Old 09-23-2007, 06:05 PM

any suggestions about Lords Valley, Gold Key, or Hemlock Farms? I keep finding a lot of houses there (although HOA fees appear to be really high in some)

Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Poconomama,
I live in Oak Ridge Crossing. House is for sale and only $200 for the road. No gates and back up to 90 acres of private woods, plenty of room on 1.5 acres.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Lady,
Sent you a private email, just let me know if you need something, ok?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times
When buying in a gated community with many amenities, just be sure that they are things that you will make use of. You really wouldn't want to pay for them if you don't plan to use them, i.e. swimming pools, tennis courts,handball courts, clubhouse, etc, etc. Also, be mindful of the fact that if the majority votes for an upgrade or addition to any amenities, each owner will be assessed an amount to cover it (in addition to your annual dues). IMHO, I do not want to pay for a new pool if I do not plan to use it. Also, realize that your annual dues are in addition to your taxes. We searched for a community with very low dues as my husband and I are older (50+) and really did not want any amenities to speak of. Our dues cover snow plowing of roads and garbage service. If you read through many of the posts, you will see varying opinions of gated communities. Some people do not like the idea of checking in at a gatehouse and also think that the "gated" feature offers a false sense of security. Just be sure to do your homework. Good luck to you!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 AM

470 posts, read 1,708,071 times
I sent you an e-mail.

Forgot to add, Goshen is a piece of cake commute from Milford, quick, painless, scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania