Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post

If you can afford a $500 rent, then you can afford a $500 mortgage payment. And with a fixed loan, that payment will stay at $500 for the next 30 years, whereas your rent will keep going up. In the long run, buying a house is more affordable than renting. There are plenty of homes in Scranton/WB in the $50-$75K range that will result in a $500 or less monthly payment, even after taxes and insurance are added to it.

I agree .. 100% Renting is throwing money away ..

Ive seen houses for $40k Hell even buy a trailer and a small parcel of land ... You can get a trailer for a song and dance ,, some are even free if you move em,,,

If it was me I would just stay there .. put up camera's get a ballistic vest and chase them out .. Fight fire with fire ... Dont be stupid though and bring a knife to a gunfight ..

Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Most of the "slum" type of housing is NOT section 8, which has certain minimal standards of habitability - for example the number of occupants is limited, the plumbing has to work, no peeling paint, hygienic conditions etc. Also it takes years of waiting on a list to get, and there are thorough mandatory background checks. I'm pretty sure that any drug dealing convictions result in eviction IF someone makes a formal complaint to the landlord.

Section 8 is generally speaking a good and worthy program, meant mostly for the disabled, handicapped, and single moms. The single parents are probably the biggest problem because of their boyfriends and teen children, but ultimately those kids have to be raised somewhere.

Most of the slummy stuff is privately owned and rented, no subsidies, largely because they wouldn't be able to pass the sec 8 inspections. Probably the house across the street rents privately even if the inhabitants are getting welfare of some other kind.
I agree that the section 8 program was designed to help people out that are disabled or have other issues where the income is very low. However, I can tell you from experience, that PCP became filled with section 8 housing and the people in those homes were trash. The women would come from NY slums and get the housing and welfare benefits and any other freebies available. Then the boyfriends would follow, with drugs, Lincoln SUV's, bad mouths, attitude, pit bulls, threatening behavior, etc. I would see the women on line at the local stores with 6 kids, paying with food stamps while they are dressed to the nines with tons of gold jewelry and see them get into brand new SUV's to go back to the section 8 house in PCP. These houses were dumps, not maintained and eyesores. I don't think the follow up on section 8 housing by the agency is very reliable.
I know a few people that are truly disabled here on LI that have section 8 and they are deserving and upstanding citizens.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I agree that the section 8 program was designed to help people out that are disabled or have other issues where the income is very low. However, I can tell you from experience, that PCP became filled with section 8 housing and the people in those homes were trash. The women would come from NY slums and get the housing and welfare benefits and any other freebies available. Then the boyfriends would follow, with drugs, Lincoln SUV's, bad mouths, attitude, pit bulls, threatening behavior, etc. I would see the women on line at the local stores with 6 kids, paying with food stamps while they are dressed to the nines with tons of gold jewelry and see them get into brand new SUV's to go back to the section 8 house in PCP. These houses were dumps, not maintained and eyesores. I don't think the follow up on section 8 housing by the agency is very reliable.
I know a few people that are truly disabled here on LI that have section 8 and they are deserving and upstanding citizens.

But again, where does the fault lie in allowing these types of people into our neighborhood? It isn't the Section 8 program renting to them. It's the landlords.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 AM

Certainly it's the landlords. I don't agree that the section 8 agency does the proper follow ups.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Certainly it's the landlords. I don't agree that the section 8 agency does the proper follow ups.
What follow ups do you think Section 8 should do? (I'm genuinely curious - no snark)

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What follow ups do you think Section 8 should do? (I'm genuinely curious - no snark)
Uh, house visits, unannounced, perhaps as a start? Speaking to neighbors to see what really goes on. How many people truly live there? Are they a problem in the neighborhood? What type of vehicles do they drive? If they are brand new top of the line SUV's, then perhaps there is some illegal activity going on. Just thoughts as I know the agency probably does not have the man power to do this. However, at least some of this should be done on a regular basis.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Uh, house visits, unannounced, perhaps as a start? Speaking to neighbors to see what really goes on. How many people truly live there? Are they a problem in the neighborhood? What type of vehicles do they drive? If they are brand new top of the line SUV's, then perhaps there is some illegal activity going on. Just thoughts as I know the agency probably does not have the man power to do this. However, at least some of this should be done on a regular basis.
Do you believe that those on assistance are not afforded the same right to the fourth amendment as the rest of us are?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Wow. Could this thread please try to stay on some type of course related to the OP's situation?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you believe that those on assistance are not afforded the same right to the fourth amendment as the rest of us are?
If you accept the assistance, then you accept the conditions under which the assistance is provided. If one of the conditions includes unannounced visits, there is no violation of the fourth amendment.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you accept the assistance, then you accept the conditions under which the assistance is provided. If one of the conditions includes unannounced visits, there is no violation of the fourth amendment.
Exactly. Even if you're not on assistance and just renting, the landlord can set conditions for the tenants, and show up unannounced any time they feel like it, as it is their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania