Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 04:25 PM

13 posts, read 30,151 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find an LGBT friendly environment. Then I came along this thread that someone posted about hands down they recommended overall in Honedale. But the responses are from 2006-2009.
Fast forward to 2014. Is the same true today or are other places more desirable in terms of value for your buck, tolerance, close to other towns and Delaware River. No fracking issues. Property which has great long distant views and houses with acreage not lots? What do you recommend. We have decided NYS is out. We are looking at Columbia, NJ or Stroubourg but the comments are across the board so I don't know whether we should be looking there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
Didn't we just spend time giving you guidance on this?
Yes. Yes, we did.
Where is it LGBT friendly and liberal in Pike County, PA

Was that not sufficient?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 30,151 times
Dear Gettingouttahere: You might be right but when I read the responses I felt yours was one of the best but you spoke mainly of Delaware Water Gap in Monroe County (Shawnee is within two miles of there) or Stroudburg. What concerned me about Stroudburg was when you said "gentrification". Somehow when I think of "rural or urban" sprawl I think of gentrification like what Bloomberg has done to NYC.
But nobody not even yourself seemed to dwell much on Wayne County. When I saw this response to someone else's question about Honedale, I thought - well this sounds out of the ordinary. I looked on the Zillow map and for some reason Honedale had seemed much farther than where we had originally been talking about along the Delaware River.
I understand where you are coming from and agree if Honedale is part of the overall landscpae then I shouldn't be asking this question. On the other hand I was surprised to find a posting which had so many positive responses that I thought "Hmm is this too good to be true? Are these responses mainly from Republican WASPs who think Democrates are merely "blueberries?" I think that was what I was trying to tack down. Thanks again about Monrie and Shawnee -it's on the list.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM

108 posts, read 255,085 times
I have been exploring the Poconos this summer. I plan to visit Honesdale, Hawley, and Milford next. So far I have seen Stroudsburg, Delaware Water Gap, and Shawnee. I have done a lot of research and gathered a large stack of brochures. The Pennsylvania Welcome Center at Delaware Water Gap is a great place to find brochures. Bushkill Falls also has a good selection of brochures. I did find a good brochure for Honesdale but nothing on Hawley or Milford.

The Insider's Guide to The Pocono Mountains by Janet Bregman-Taney and Kenneth R. Clark ISBN-10: 0762734582 is out-of-date but still useful.

Yesterday I visited Jim Thorpe which was the most charming town I have ever seen. It has been voted one of the most beautiful towns in America and I could see why. There is a branch of the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau in the Mauch Chunk Depot were you can find a wide selection of brochures, including state park maps. This place is open on weekends, unlike the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau in Stroudsburg.

I found a book on the Lehigh Gorge State Park trails at a bookstore in Jim Thorpe so there are definitely some additional resources which you may only find by visiting the area.

In regards to intolerance, I did find a book The Bottom of the Fox: A True Story of Love, Devotion & Cold-Blooded Murder by Shaun D. Mullen about the dark secrets of the Poconos.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
I
Yesterday I visited Jim Thorpe which was the most charming town I have ever seen. It has been voted one of the most beautiful towns in America and I could see why. There is a branch of the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau in the Mauch Chunk Depot were you can find a wide selection of brochures, including state park maps. This place is open on weekends, unlike the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau in Stroudsburg.

I found a book on the Lehigh Gorge State Park trails at a bookstore in Jim Thorpe so there are definitely some additional resources which you may only find by visiting the area.

In regards to intolerance, I did find a book The Bottom of the Fox: A True Story of Love, Devotion & Cold-Blooded Murder by Shaun D. Mullen about the dark secrets of the Poconos.

I live right outside of Jim Thorpe and agree the town is beautiful- the tourist area. You'll also see that many of the businesses fly the Pride Flag. I'm not sure how the "gay friendly" the town itself is but the businesses are.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
OK, thanks for the clarification, OP.
I can't remember; have you been to any of these places yet? You can see for yourself whether the reality matches our descriptions.

But I have to say -- in this day and age, it's going to depend more on your immediate neighbors than anything else. You could settle in the most gay-friendly place in the country, and if you have an intolerant neighbor, your life is gonna be affected more by that. There's no real way to guard against that, short of interviewing your neighbors before you move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania