Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 AM

12 posts, read 32,159 times

Advertisements

wow mr. martin, so you're going to market saw creek as a "4-season vacation/resort community"? and we are Airbnb friendly? I guess this means youre not doing anything to stop the tidal wave of party houses, 1000s of visitors who destroy our amenities, create overall havoc and keep our property prices down? and for all of this, the homeowners get their dues raised every year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 AM

you are lucky! wish that could happen here in saw creek!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:01 AM

agree the residents, amenities, and maintenance are wonderful here. management has their head in the sand about short term rentals. security is debatable, sometimes they don't enforce. but the amenities are for the use of homeowners and their invited guests, not the constant stream of party house renters, who stuff over 20 people into a house with 2 bathrooms and then take showers at the TOP indoor showers. we also love it here, which is why we are concerned that this community is being slowly turned into a renters paradise at the expense of dues paying homeowners.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 19,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleboy View Post
Dear Amanda you got lucky! If you bought in sewer Creek, you would have to deal with the ongoing short term rental nightmares. Management dies NOTHING to enforce noise rules and weekend party houses are the norm, not the exception. And here's the proof: the general manager responded to you that Saw Creek is Air B and B friendly!!!! Air B and B, Home Away, etc., are vacation rental websites, and investors who bought homes in Saw Creek advertise for rentals on those websites. If they really cared about homeowners, they would stop the short term rentals, period! Party house destroy our amenities and property values!
I agree 100% Littleboy. As I was searching for information on Sawcreek, I came across a Facebook page called Take back Sawcreek they also have a webpage www.takebacksawcreek.org They found the comment made by Mr. Martin and posted this to their facebook page. They are fighting the exact same thing that you are mentioning here.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 19,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBestOfBothWorlds View Post
Regarding Saw Creek Estates...
My wife and I originated from a little beach town on LI and wanted the best of both worlds (beach and mountains).
We searched hi and low, NY and PA, for almost a year. Saw Creek Estates had more to offer than all the rest; between both the indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, indoor and outdoor tennis and basketball courts, ski lift and hills, sledding, fishing, boating, and more. We bought a home in 2015 and couldn't be happier.
Besides Saw Creek Estates' desirable amenities, it has the best management team, security professionals and maintenance crew.
Also, every resident we have met in our two years here have been very friendly and welcoming.
Best decision we've made.
Wait until you have issues with YOUR neighbors or a party house, or even an issue with, well, anything. Unless you are one of Management's trolls, we all know they have many that do this all day. When you have an issue, they will call you a malcontent. Also be aware that Mr. Martin has stated in the past "I know what's best for the home owners, they don't know much. Yeah, that means you. Sure the home owners are welcoming, but go to a board meeting, you will be told to sit down and shut up.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM

you must be one of the lucky few who still have deer to see after saw creek BOD and management authorized to kill over 400 deer, just so a few of their cronies could grow non-native plants or have lawns that the deer wouldn't eat. we also love it here and appreciate and honor the diversity. what we don't like is the GM saying this is 4-season vacation/resort community and Airbnb friendly. the amenities are for the use of the homeowners and their guests, not weekend party houses. and this community is a HOMEOWNER association, not Disneyland. we hope you never experience all the problems the rest of us have had to endure.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
you must be one of the lucky few who still have deer to see after saw creek BOD and management authorized to kill over 400 deer, just so a few of their cronies could grow non-native plants or have lawns that the deer wouldn't eat. we also love it here and appreciate and honor the diversity. what we don't like is the GM saying this is 4-season vacation/resort community and Airbnb friendly. the amenities are for the use of the homeowners and their guests, not weekend party houses. and this community is a HOMEOWNER association, not Disneyland. we hope you never experience all the problems the rest of us have had to endure.
Actually our deer also like native food like laurel and rhododendron. They don't care for English Boxwood or Japanese Andromeda.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually our deer also like native food like laurel and rhododendron. They don't care for English Boxwood or Japanese Andromeda.
Agree.

Spirea, cat mint, Russian sage, and some ornamental grasses have worked well here, and daffodils and bleeding hearts in spring.

We use mostly Milorganite as fertilizer (it smells and deer dont like it) and also Bobbex spray a few times a year. Oh and we scream wildly while we shoot BBs at them.

(But when the winter is rough, over populated deer may eat your porch railing... )

It's sad to hear the kind of people problems you folks have at your communities.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM

but do you want to kill the deer just so you can grow flowers in your yard? our governing documents refer to our community as a "natural woodland setting". first people decide to move to the country to be surrounded by nature and get away from noise, and then they decide to turn us into suburbia. and then complain when the deer eat the stuff they planted. saw creek killed the deer with no thought about what would happen for future generations. they set up 17 bait stations on saw creek property that bordered the PA game lands. do you think those bait stations only attracted saw creek deer? read this article and notice saw creek's involvement: Pennsylvania communities must try hunting before getting deer-cull permits - Outdoornews

Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
but do you want to kill the deer just so you can grow flowers in your yard? our governing documents refer to our community as a "natural woodland setting". first people decide to move to the country to be surrounded by nature and get away from noise, and then they decide to turn us into suburbia. and then complain when the deer eat the stuff they planted. saw creek killed the deer with no thought about what would happen for future generations. they set up 17 bait stations on saw creek property that bordered the PA game lands. do you think those bait stations only attracted saw creek deer? read this article and notice saw creek's involvement: Pennsylvania communities must try hunting before getting deer-cull permits - Outdoornews
You are not looking at the big picture. Twenty or twenty five years ago I was talking to the head of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and I asked him what PA would do if chronic wasting disease was ever found in our PA deer. Without hesitation he said then we (the GC) will have to cull the herds. That was then and this is now: Chronic Wasting Disease. It has been found in our herds and as far as I know; it is almost impossible to rehabilitate the land after it has been infected from chronic wasting disease.

In the 1950's and 1960's I could count 100 deer across the street from our house in an orchard. I grew up with deer every place. Even twenty and twenty five years ago I could count 50 plus deer close to my house. Then the coyotes moved in at the same time as our Game Commission combined seasons and made other changes in the game laws to allow hunters more time in the woods. As a truck driver I always liked to watch the deer as I drove over our PA roads. Then, almost overnight (just a few years), our deer disappeared - that was about 10 to 15 years ago.

My feeling is that our Game Commission is doing what it can to keep the herds down to slow the advance of the wasting disease. If it gets too bad; they will cull all of the deer.

As far as your point about flowers; it is simply a very small piece of the picture. Farmers, loggers, insurance companies, drivers, ecologist and others have fought to keep the herds down - deer do not have many friends (other than hunters and the hunting industry). The wasting disease could be the last we see of them other than in a zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania