Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:07 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Thankyou,
Harrisburg was nice within this imaginary concrete circle.
The river homes are gorgeous. As I traveled North I
ran into some seedy areas. Very surprised and upset
to see such an instantaneous rather than gradual change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 AM

106,682 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we live in queens and had a 2nd home in the pocono's . we were going to retire there but once it came down to it compared to queens pa lacked so much that would eventually be important to us.

sold the house and retired in queens

Old 06-23-2018, 04:41 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Maybe some of the suburban Philly towns - Willow Grove, New Hope, Abington, Jenkintown
Going to be tough to find.

Check out Willow Grove - that was the first one that came to mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow...,_Pennsylvania

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 06-23-2018 at 04:57 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Check out Pottsville: much lower cost of living, row homes like Queens and no state tax on pensions. Basically friendly people especially if you are buying at the local tavern. Lotsa hills though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN3rQ1mdd-o

Old 06-25-2018, 04:50 AM

Thanks Mathjak107

I love Queens N.Y. . I just don't like the taxes. I have noticed in the short few years being retired the doubling of prices in
your basic shopping needs let alone all the others mentioned. I finally and truly begin to understand why so many older folks
end up leaving. I always thought it was just the want of an warmer climate for some old bones. Realized that only paints a small
portion of the picture. Seniors are monetarily forced out. Been on the books for over 40 years. Paid my dues and now just trying to
ride out the tide in comfort. Oh, I can hunker down and pull the belt around my waste a little tighter down the road if need be;
but why? I didn't work all these years just to get by in the end. So here I am exploring my options. If N.Y. wants to kick seniors to
the curb so be it. In the mean time I am committed to my continued research.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:56 AM

Thankyou Wells 5

Pottsville looks interesting.
I had a few friends wanting to visit the beer factory.
Nice aerial views. I like that the town has friendly folks.
I'll look into that also.
Any other suggestions?

Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Thankyou for such detail.

I had my eye on Lititz especially the surrounding towns and Lancaster.
Not sure on Allentown and Philly. Need to research the crime stats.
In Queens crime varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.
Shopping strips ,cemeteries,highways,parklands and other physical structures contains
crime or lack of crime between each.

Is this the same in the PA locations you mentioned ?
Or does crime follow or increase along the interstate and its exits?

You looked at the aerial pictures of Pottsville; don't forget that Google 'Earth' is a very useful tool. That Earth program also tells you exact elevation. That way you might have a better idea of how snowy and cold the specific towns average that you're looking at. You can also measure distances with the program as well as checking out if you might have flooding problems.

You can get the crime states off several different sites including CD. Just keep in mind that it only takes one bad neighbor to spoil your move. Don't buy sight unseen because of any real estate agent. Many of us suggest renting in any area, where you eventually want to buy, first (if you have that option). That way you can take a good, long, look at the properties on the market. You can talk to the police station, Post Office, neighbors, as well as you will be getting a feel for the neighborhood. With the younger, still working generation from the city; I always suggest doing the commute from here before they buy. What sounds great on paper might not be a cup of tea for those that believe the grass is greener.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 AM

106,682 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Check out Pottsville: much lower cost of living, row homes like Queens and no state tax on pensions. Basically friendly people especially if you are buying at the local tavern. Lotsa hills though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN3rQ1mdd-o
pottsville is really depressed . it is no where near queens . queens is a city . there is no comparison at all

Old 06-26-2018, 10:19 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
In essence, it sounds like people are telling the OP there ain't no place like that place in this place.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:18 AM

Thank you all.
I understand completely that great sacrifices would be made in leaving N.Y.
There is no city in the world like it. This is all about affordability.
Trying to find some place in PA that resembles Queens N.Y. with minimal
sacrifices including all amenities,low crime table as possible, affordability,and a sense of
neighborhood bounded by religious values and a strong sense of neighborhood are key.

I appreciate all input and will evaluate all. I research,travel and this does take time,which I now have.
Any more suggestions from N.Y. transplants and long time PA residents.
Love to hear your stories.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania