Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 PM

128 posts, read 356,029 times

Advertisements

Allow me to turn my last question inside-out. What is one thing about Scranton (the city, not the gov't) that you wouldn't want to change?

I would say the character of the old buildings in the heart of downtown. Some of them are very cool to look at, and you just don't get that in a lot of places where they were torn down or left to crumble (yes I know Scranton has probably had its share of both of those too, but it still has a significant number of historic buildings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Excellent question.

The old world ethnicity of some of the neighborhoods, probably. Scranton has several predominantly Italian, Polish, German, Irish, Russian, Greek, and Jewish areas, and in those areas are churches/temples that have summertime festivals or other events that uniquely represents those heritages. From the Church of the Annunciation's Greek Festival to the Sacred Hearts picnic featuring haluski and pierogis to St Franci of Asissi's Polenta dinners, almost every neighborhood (even within the various sections) has a very distinct ethnic flavor.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:49 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Excellent question.

The old world ethnicity of some of the neighborhoods, probably. Scranton has several predominantly Italian, Polish, German, Irish, Russian, Greek, and Jewish areas, and in those areas are churches/temples that have summertime festivals or other events that uniquely represents those heritages. From the Church of the Annunciation's Greek Festival to the Sacred Hearts picnic featuring haluski and pierogis to St Franci of Asissi's Polenta dinners, almost every neighborhood (even within the various sections) has a very distinct ethnic flavor.
I must agree...the "feel" of Scranton always made me feel good...now that I am a part of here...I love it even more!

BTW...my son is so proud of being called a Polish prince...and was amazed at how many other Polish princes and princess there are here! I think he may of thought he was a real one! LOL

Last edited by bloominscranton; 04-04-2008 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: adding of comment

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'd likewise concur with the three of you. Our historic architecture needs to be preserved and nurtured---not torn down to make way for gawdy strip malls, drive-thru chain drug stores and fast-food restaurants, etc. (as they've done with decimating once-vibrant Downtown Pittston). Also, I think it's wonderful that Scranton is a "city of neighborhoods." Hyde Park has its own downtown area that while perhaps in dire need of a cosmetic facelift in the streetscape department is still quite full of vitality. Green Ridge and the Hill are replete with historic Victorians, Tudors, Greek Revivals, etc., including the mayor's rather ornate mansion. SouthSide is probably one of the more close-knit neighborhoods of the city that is now welcoming a growing Latin population. Center City could truly take off with the development of apartments, condos, lofts, etc. if we didn't have a bunch of idiots at the helm of downtown redevelopment initiatives. In a sense you could live in a medium-sized city of 70,000 while still feeling like you live in a small-town atmosphere of 10,000.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
I live in West Side, in Hyde Park, and definitely feel that I live in more of a small-town atmosphere with city conveniences nearby. I really like it here, and I would never want to live in a suburban McMansion development ever again. The only problem here is the political corruption, but that's not a problem exclusive to Scranton. The small town governments around here, as well as the county government, are probably as corrupt as Scranton.

As far as the ethnic flavor of individual neighborhoods, I haven't been quite able to figure out what the predominant ethnicity is of West Side yet since moving here. It seems to be a mix.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,990,056 times
West side has always been an Italian area, lots of slovaks and the Lebonese, syrian Maronite community.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM

203 posts, read 577,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I live in West Side, in Hyde Park, and definitely feel that I live in more of a small-town atmosphere with city conveniences nearby. I really like it here, and I would never want to live in a suburban McMansion development ever again. The only problem here is the political corruption, but that's not a problem exclusive to Scranton. The small town governments around here, as well as the county government, are probably as corrupt as Scranton.

As far as the ethnic flavor of individual neighborhoods, I haven't been quite able to figure out what the predominant ethnicity is of West Side yet since moving here. It seems to be a mix.

I agree with the "neighborhood" feel here in West Scranton. I'd lived in a very small town before coming here. I knew more of my neighbors in Scranton in the first month of moving in than in the 6 years I'd lived in the other town. That's the one thing I really like about where I live.
I don't feel weird asking one of my neighbors if I can "borrow a cup of sugar" and we all watch out for each other.
I do feel in the minority not being Catholic though, especially living near St Ann's.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonWest View Post

I do feel in the minority not being Catholic though, especially living near St Ann's.
That's pretty much all of NE PA....majority Catholic. Mainly because the predominant ethnic groups of the area: Irish, Italian, and Polish are mostly Catholic. Although in the minority, there are plenty of Protestants here as well....especially in West Side, where there seems to be a sizeable Welsh community.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM

203 posts, read 577,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
there are plenty of Protestants here as well....especially in West Side, where there seems to be a sizeable Welsh community.
Yep, I married one of them.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Yep. Me too! I'm guilty as charged. Protestant power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania