Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 6,766 times

Advertisements

I am retired and purchased a house in the Pocono area. I allowed my niece and her family to move in with me and I also place her name on the deed at settlement of the house.
It was understood at the beginning that her husband would help me with the maintenance and repairs of the house. He has done very little after 14 months compared to what I have done and none of his money was used for any needed repairs.
This is because he and my niece work as contractors and they lose too much time between jobs.
All that I required was for them to pay for all utilities and HOA Fees and to help me with maintenance and repairs.
Now they have fallen behind in their utility payments and HOA Fees. They refuse to quit their contracting jobs and get regular employment. So for the last 14 months, I been the main support.

So finally I had enough and see no way out but to move out and notify the mortgage company that I will not be making any more payments. All I have left is enough money to pay a moving company and cost of rental fees for another house.
I know my high credit rating will be affected and I may face financial demands after I move.

So the question is: what other problems will I be facing after I move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
I would seek legal advice; it's your name on the papers and not their name. Have you asked the mortgage company what they think? Have you considered evicting your nice and her family?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Is your name also on the deed? If so, you are responsible for the mortgage. I imagine utilities and HOA will also be after you to pay. If you don't have a written agreement with your niece, you're pretty much out of luck.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Sorry, OP, you might as well stay where you are. You are on the hook for the mortgage. You may have put your niece's name on the deed but if she isn't on the mortgage, she has no financial liability. A lawyer would be a good idea.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 AM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
yep . if she gets sued she loses the house and you are stuck paying for it . this is a bad idea . divorce can be another issue as her husband can claim a piece or worse she passes away god forbid and he is your partner .

never add anyone to a deed who is not on the mortgage .

Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 AM

Thanks everyone,
I also look to the future. I am still healthy at age 79 and may reach 90 years of age. So when I pass away, my niece and her husband will not be able to afford the mortgage even if the mortgage company allows them to assume the mortgage. If they are having trouble now in keeping up with their responsibilities, then a foreclosure is in their future. So why should I still stay and waste all the years of mortgage payments, taxes and insurance? If I am not mistaken, no one can seize my pension or social security to pay off debts. Also I do not have anything in writing from my niece and her husband as to their responsibilities. So I believe my best move is find another house and rent it and not let the free loading relatives to live on the cheap with me.
Also the house and land is to big for me to maintain by myself and I cannot force my niece and her family out if her name is on the deed.

Last edited by rjlocal22; 11-16-2018 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlocal22 View Post
Thanks everyone,
I also look to the future. I am still healthy at age 79 and may reach 90 years of age. So when I pass away, my niece and her husband will not be able to afford the mortgage even if the mortgage company allows them to assume the mortgage. If they are having trouble now in keeping up with their responsibilities, then a foreclosure is in their future. So why should I still stay and waste all the years of mortgage payments, taxes and insurance? If I am not mistaken, no one can seize my pension or social security to pay off debts. Also I do not have anything in writing from my niece and her husband as to their responsibilities. So I believe my best move is find another house and rent it and not let the free loading relatives to live on the cheap with me.
I still think that you should seek legal advice first. If you walk away from a mortgage I do not think that will help your credit rating if you want to buy another house. I think you might be doubling your financial obligation and you are walking away from your problems instead of addressing them (evicting your niece and family). Relatives do not take advantage of relatives and they are walking over you like a door mat. They need a little tough love right now and it is long overdue for them to pay their dues. As it is, cold weather evictions take longer in PA (another reason to seek legal advice).

If you are successful in an eviction; do you have your home set up for privacy between your personal space and theirs? If you do; you might try renting after a through background check. That way you would end up with help paying your bills instead of being stuck. But you did mention HOA and maybe they have regulations against tenants? Possible they would let you rent out the whole house if that was the case. I have the name of a pretty reasonable lawyer if you want me to send you his name; just ask.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:07 PM

I intend to rent another house. I do not have the money for a lawyer. I have just enough to pay for moving expenses plus rental fees. .

Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I intend to rent another house. I do not have the money for a lawyer. I have just enough to pay for moving expenses plus rental fees. .
Unfortunately I do not think that will solve your problems. Are you afraid to tell them that you're going to evict them? They will never grow up as long as they have you. The mortgage company will tell them to leave just as soon as you pull out. I am just afraid that you're making a mistake.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:50 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:

This is a situation in which I always remember the advice my uncle gave me back in the 70's when I was around 15 or so: "Never do business with family because they are the first ones to steal from and backstab you!!" To this day I pay for what people do for me even if they are family. Because when its free, especially with family, it always ends up costing you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: