Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post
Wading into this only because we're seriously considering moving to NEPA. And I don't mean to start a political argument about left vs. right vs. whatever, but....

What is the general feel of political sentiment in the area? We are very liberal Democrats (don't attack me - I have not the slightest interest in attacking anyone with the opposite sentiment), and have long lived in liberal communities; NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles. Currently we live in a very blue town set within in a very red congressional district set in a blue state... so it's a bit of mix but our day-to-day environment is quite politically liberal.

Would we feel surrounded by very conservative points-of-view, isolated as liberal Dems in NEPA?

I wouldn't say this is the most important factor in deciding where to live --I appreciate people with different perspectives-- but would we find enough like-minds to at least not feel all alone?
I am on the other political side. But, as you can see from our poll results the last election; your side did well: Monroe County PA Election Results.

Monroe County is very diverse. Possibly the western side of the County could lean a little more conservative. But you would not have to worry about that in my area or on the eastern side. I am in the group that is the minority; at least currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM

231 posts, read 239,924 times
Thanks, fisheye, for the data. I just looked at Pike Co. results. It seems to skew much more conservative than Monroe.

Dumb question from a west coaster:
What's the difference between a borough and township with the same name? (That isn't something we have out here.)

Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Thanks, fisheye, for the data. I just looked at Pike Co. results. It seems to skew much more conservative than Monroe.

What's the difference between a borough and township with the same name? (That isn't something we have out here.)
I had to look that one up even though I am going to dinner tonight with a township officer: https://whyy.org/articles/explainer-...ies-clarified/. I hope that explains it for you. Of course, to complicate this, is that there are two 'classes' of townships (first and second class): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Township_(Pennsylvania).

PS No question is dumb except for the ones not asked!

Old 01-04-2019, 02:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
What is the general feel of political sentiment in the area?

This area has always been dominated by Democrats in the past however I wouldn't categorize it as liberal Democrats. Obama for example did very well in Luzerne County however Trump turned that completely around. There is very strong shift towards Republicans that has been ongoing and will likely continue to occur. While middle of the road Democrats have had success in the past and may have success in the future very liberal ones will not fare well.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Thanks for your added perspective. "Liberal Dem" is a relative term, I guess. I used it thinking that relative to (purple state?) PA Dems I might be considered very liberal. Compared to Dems in my very lefty town, I am decidedly moderate.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Typically a borough is going to be smaller community in land size that may only be a few square miles with tightly grouped housing. Townships historically are typically semi-rural and rural and will have many square miles.

FYI here in NEPA towns, boroughs etc typically border each other where nothing is separating them other than the street. You can drive from small city called Nanticoke to a town called Carbondale which is about a 45 mile drive. You will have driven through perhaps 30 different boroughs, towns etc,

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-04-2019 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
Thanks for your added perspective. "Liberal Dem" is a relative term, I guess. I used it thinking that relative to (purple state?) PA Dems I might be considered very liberal. Compared to Dems in my very lefty town, I am decidedly moderate.
trump has appealed to the previously hidden racists,less educated here in nepa plus those who admire reality TV people and con men.

Plz check area's general level of those who are more educated and independent,read the local papers,check for nearby college or higher education availability .

Am offering these suggestions as someone who was raised here,moved away,came back many years later to find out many of friends,famly stagnated and/or developed severe medical issues due to less progressive medical care.

Look for a diverse area both politically and populace and best of luck as I am sure you can find this

Old 01-04-2019, 02:49 PM

Okay, thanks Fisheye and Coalman, I think I'm getting the hang of this borough vs. township thing. Very interesting, and completely different from anything I've encountered in western states!

Old 01-04-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
trump has appealed to the previously hidden racists,

All those people who voted for Obama over McCain and Romney are now suddenly racists. This makes sense to you?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
[quote=thecoalman;54057694]All those people who voted for Obama over McCain and Romney are now suddenly racists. This makes sense to you?[/Q

where did I say anything about Obama ? diversion from my

comment on trump fans?????

my comment relates to trumps appeal to those that are hostile inwardly to other races,cultures,and women----hence his wall mantra

pray tell what comments may have swayed others to him-----his anti hillary,benghazi ones,or his kissing up to russia----both evident during his campaign

really above is mote point as I was well aware of his craziness before he ran as was a lot of his fellow palm Beach contacts
]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania