Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times

Advertisements

I just received an email with this link.

Weakening economy threatens city's rebirth - Apr. 9, 2008

I thought some of you might have an interest in reading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Very interesting article, Rockyy. Thanks for posting it. This comes on the heels of Wilkes-Barre being blasted negatively by another major media outlet, so it's nice to finally see an article that is "fair and balanced." I think Downtown Wilkes-Barre certainly has tremendous potential and will be a much improved place in another 5-10 years. Are things perfect? Hell no! However, I wish the gripers would see that Mayor Leighton is the best thing to happen to Wilkes-Barre in quite some time. I used to think in the early-2000s that Leighton needed to take advice from Mayor Doherty in Scranton. Now I'm beginning to think the opposite is true.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
hmm, interesting thoughts.

I think it may hurt the developments mentioned a little, maybe just slow it down a bit.

BUT, i think wilkes-barre may fair well in this crisis. I think many people in w-b weren't so deep in a house they are losing it now, so that will be a big help. I also think the low cost of living, nice scenery, relatively low crime and close proximity to nearby major cities will help lure those nation wide who are losing their homes to move to w-b.

Then you have the exodus of young people, many of who may have fallen into the foreclosure mess nation wide. They would need a place to stay (IE family in the valley) and would probably have a sour taste of leaving the area again. They may end up staying in the area for good, helping to cure the "brain drain" of the area.

Hell, i think W-B is even more in a position to grow now then ever. Just need to lure some more employers in.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM

There are a plethora (as in MOST for that matter) of homes currently on the market in the Diamond City for under $100,000. Granted most of these homes need some "polishing" (perhaps new vinyl siding, a few new shrubs, etc.), but they have sturdy old bones and convenient locations. Wilkes-Barre's very affordable housing market is a boon, especially since, according to the article, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre housing market's average price is now around a more hefty $200,000.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM

There was also a video that corresponded to that article:

Free Video - Business and personal finance news from CNNMoney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania