Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 11:31 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times

Advertisements

anyone here in NEPA board also on Nextdoor?? Was contemplating joining that one as well if there are others from NEPA on it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 07:05 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I created a Nextdoor profile a few years ago. I just logged in now, possibly for the first time in years, and I rediscovered why I don't use it. The look & feel is too much like FB which I bailed on years ago. Too many ads, busy screen, and many of the "user posts" are just people selling used couches and stuff. But that's just my lived experience.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I created a Nextdoor profile a few years ago. I just logged in now, possibly for the first time in years, and I rediscovered why I don't use it. The look & feel is too much like FB which I bailed on years ago. Too many ads, busy screen, and many of the "user posts" are just people selling used couches and stuff. But that's just my lived experience.
many of the same reasons I deleted my account with Nextdoor this morning....I left FaceCrook many years ago when it was still in its infancy because of all the drama from not only friends but family as well....what I didn't like about Nextdoor was that everyone could see exactly where you live and you couldn't use an anonymous name like we can here....I thought it would've been a good alternative to CD and FaceCrook but not in its current form....the look & feel also felt like "90's" Windows 3.1 design to me....thanks for the feedback @jtab4994

Old 02-13-2023, 02:05 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
anyone here in NEPA board also on Nextdoor?? Was contemplating joining that one as well if there are others from NEPA on it....
NextDoor in my area of NEPA is very specific to your locale and while my area did not have one, a little over 2 miles down the road does. I was denied participation because my Zip did not match.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I was denied participation because my Zip did not match.
Now that to me is a dumb reason to get excluded from any board....

Old 02-13-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Now that to me is a dumb reason to get excluded from any board....
Indeed, and especially bc my dog went missing and that was the only reason I wanted to use the app. Like dude could have been 2 miles down the road cause you know dogs do this thing called running. :P Thankfully, a social media friend, with access to ND posted his missing info there for us.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Indeed, and especially bc my dog went missing and that was the only reason I wanted to use the app. Like dude could have been 2 miles down the road cause you know dogs do this thing called running. :P Thankfully, a social media friend, with access to ND posted his missing info there for us.
I would die of a heart attack if something like this happened to one of my 3 guys....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...st/ar-AA17oZ7S

Old 02-14-2023, 06:55 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Quote:
many of the same reasons I deleted my account with Nextdoor this morning....I left FaceCrook many years ago when it was still in its infancy because of all the drama from not only friends but family as well....what I didn't like about Nextdoor was that everyone could see exactly where you live and you couldn't use an anonymous name like we can here....I thought it would've been a good alternative to CD and FaceCrook but not in its current form....the look & feel also felt like "90's" Windows 3.1 design to me....thanks for the feedback @jtab4994
Nextdoor: My Nextdoor story is similar. I signed up about four years ago — late '18, early '19 era.

Soon thereafter, I felt as if I'd been victimized by bait and switch. It seemed as if Nextdoor itself had some shady solicitation methods — like turning over your neighbors' names and addresses so they'd make it appear that YOU were inviting them to join this invasive advertising coop... that unique local neighborhood group. (Yeah, right!)

Only after joining does it become apparent that, "Join your neighbors... (blah, blah, blah)," really means, "Become incessantly solicited by advertisers of questionable repute." Lots of people pushing junk, and many apparent scammers.

No thank you! I cancelled, removing my profile.

That said, I do use facebook. I find it valuable to connect with people of similar interests.
Couple of guidelines:
1) It's called facebook, not "in-your-face-book"! Promote the latter and I'll click "ignore".
2) Use an overlay program, a customized browser extension. I use fluff-busting purity. Removes a sizeable chunk of fb fluff.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I would die of a heart attack if something like this happened to one of my 3 guys....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...st/ar-AA17oZ7S
We never found our guy, he took off into the woods behind me- privately held lands that run into either the Lehigh Gorge or Hickory Run depending on which direction he ultimately went. Or if he ran straight he hit the Lehigh River 3 miles back. We did get an alleged sighting in Nesquehoning. Feasible but not likely him, he could have crossed via old railroad track in a couple of spots. We did spend 3 days scouring the area he was spotted, we were working with NEPA Hound Hunters so they laid traps and cameras, some locals laid their own traps and cameras as well. No one else saw him and the person who sighted him did not sound particularly credible but we were exhausting everything. It was the only lead we ever had.

We hired a company down in southern PA that runs commercial infared drones and even he couldn't really find anything in the thickness of the area.

Our three other dogs now wear sat-based GPS trackers when we step out the door. They have a 9-mile radius and when we tested them out - I went to the Lehigh Gorge and hiked in almost 2miles and walked in zig-zags for about an hour, my husband picked me up nearly instantaneously from bot his cell and the device the collars come with. The best part is even the cell app connects to a sat with a 30-second live refresh so you don't need to worry about cell service or Bluetooth connections like many other tracking devices.

It's been close to 2 years now and I absolutely cannot talk about him without crying. I've kept his microchip active with him marked "lost" so should he ever turn up and get scanned...

Old 02-14-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Our three other dogs now wear sat-based GPS trackers when we step out the door. They have a 9-mile radius and when we tested them out.
Could you please share the name of the company that makes and/sells them?? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania