Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 AM

16 posts, read 73,969 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some advice, I have a walkthrough scheduled any tips??

Also behind my home its is a uneven? should they fill in the empty space?

Its with LTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Check the details. It's easy to see if something is obviously crooked or cracked, but be sure to check cabinet doors - make sure they hang evenly and have no gaps or one door is a bit higher than the other where they meet. Check any molding to be sure the mitered corners meet. Check windowsills, make sure windows work well and screens are installed properly. Tug on the closet fixtures (bars, shelves, etc.) to be sure they won't fall off the wall when you hang up your clothes (this happened to a friend of ours). Check grout in any tile, check for wrinkles in any carpeting. Check all light switches and outlets (take a small lamp or something along to plug in). I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Take each room individually, one at a time, and concentrate on small areas at a time. If you try to see the big picture you might miss some detail. Go through with a pad and pencil to mark down anything you note that isn't right. Make a copy for your contractor and keep the original so you can go back later to make sure things are corrected.

If the unevenness behind the home is a landscaping issue and that was to be included then by all means have them level it out. A bumpy yard is no fun if you're running and playing and step in a ditch or your foot hits a little bump. (This from experience!)

This an exciting time for you, and it should all be right before you move in and pay the final invoice(s). Good luck!!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 AM

I forgot to mention its a new built home, should I take a home inspector?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
If you want to pay an inspector go for it.

I just did mine, and being that i'm in the industry i can pick out issues fairly well.

the above of test everything is a great point. Also as soon as you walk in turn on all the faucets and let them run the entire walk through. This way you can spot any leaks in the drains.

Basically, if your unhappy with something tell them about it. The guy i walked through with really surprised me. He picked out a ton of items i didn't notice. His crews must have hated him

Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stxbuyer View Post
When you say it is uneven,do you mean sloped? A home inspector is a couple
of hundred,Is there any type of warranty on the home?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
When we bought our home it was already built but never lived in. Yes of course we got an inspector. There really wasnt much at all that had to be done ; jsut two outlets were malfunctioning.

Take your time with the walk thru. If it takes 2 hours, so what ; its your money.

Good luck and enjoy it. Its a wonderful thing.

dorothy

Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some advice, I have a walkthrough scheduled any tips??

Also behind my home its is a uneven? should they fill in the empty space?

Its with LTS

I'd really like to see a picture of that uneven/empty space.

More than likely it may be where they buried your holding tank for your septic, in which case they would have to fill that in. If it is along side the foundation, the ground is sloped so water runs away from your house.
With todays building codes, you shouldn't have any problems with your house. I'd like to see a picture, though. I'm just speculating.

Make sure to check all the window screens. Often they get damaged. Also open and close all of the windows and doors, to see if they need to be adjusted.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Quote:

Has your home gone through the final inspection yet? New home construction in our area is inspected through Guardian, and they are
top notch. You can take your own inspector if you want, but I trust
that Guardian will do a thourough inpsection for code issues.

The thing you want to do, is make sure you got what you paid for, and that everything is in working order. Take note of damage to anything, appliances, walls, tubs, screens, windows, cabinetry, fireplace inserts, etc. Make sure pocket doors & sliders open properly - or anything on tracks.

Let us know how it all turns out. By the face, I assume you aren't having any fun yet.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
When you say it is uneven,do you mean sloped? A home inspector is a couple
of hundred,Is there any type of warranty on the home?
yes its a slope area. The backyard is adjacent to the woods and there is a huge fall from one corner of the property...

Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Something I forgot to mention - TASTE THE WATER! Letting it run to look for leaks is a fantastic idea, but don't forget to make sure it tastes okay! I'm not sure what can be done if it tastes or smells like sulfur or something else (iron, rust, etc.). You would probalby have to install a treatment of some type at your own expense because the builder wouldn't be liable for that, but at least you'd know and they could take care of it for you before they move on.

If at all possible, run the dishwasher and any other included appliances through a cycle while you're walking through the rest of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania