Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times

Advertisements

For every Honesdale example you can provide I can provide TWO Pittston examples. Tomato Town was a hip and thriving place with movie theaters, a JCPenney, Woolworth's, and 21,000 people in its heyday. Now it has 7,000 people, largely abandoned buildings, crappy homes, and is now merely a "bedroom community" of both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. What caused this? The proliferation of new shopping centers and chains along Route 11 in Pittston Twp. in the 1960s-1970s. Today that "old sprawl" will now be threatened by the "new sprawl" along Route 315. It's just a colossal waste of open space to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:34 AM

947 posts, read 1,644,259 times
It is quite possible that the citizens of Honesdale prefer to shop locally and not frequent the WalMart. That Walmart could be largely fed by people who do not live in Honesdale. None of us knows for sure.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Soak it up while you can. The land around my parents' home is being graded and cleared as we speak for a major new shopping complex that will house a large new Wal-Mart Supercenter. The former "intimate" Wal-Mart in Pittston will be history (potentially a new Home Depot from what I've heard). Viva la sprawl!
Right on 315, right Paul? I heard that Wal-Mart wants all of it's stores to be super centers from now on. Hence the one in Tunkhannock too. So we'll have the one in Dickson, Taylor, Pittson and WB all within a 20 mile radius. WM really likes to extend itself, doesn't it?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
It is quite possible that the citizens of Honesdale prefer to shop locally and not frequent the WalMart. That Walmart could be largely fed by people who do not live in Honesdale. None of us knows for sure.
That WM does get a lot of people from the surrounding upstate New York area like Callicoon and Narrowsburg in nearby Sullivan county. They also get a lot of weekend shoppers from NY and NJ who have second homes in Wayne county. But I know a lot of people who shop in WM, which is actually in Indian Orchard, and downtown Honesdale and those stores never got affected by WM and these people live in Honesdale.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but like gophillies said, do you really think that WM is going to pay someone $15 or $20 an hour to stock shelves or work the cash register. That would be nice, but it's not going to happen. I still don't see how they destroy small towns, but that's another issue. You're right also when you say that WM is not the same company it was when Sam was alive, he believed in customer first and treated his employees well and sometimes it doesn't always feel that way in certain WM's. I also agree that people should live without govt. assistance. The more we depend on the govt., the worse this country is going to get. But at the end of the day, if I need to get a great deal and no one else has what I'm looking for, I'm going to shop at WM. And I never said that you or a family member worked there, I was just wondering why there is such an anti-Wal-Mart sentiment from some people.

I don't think $15 or $20 an hour. I'm thinking between $10 and $12. You can live on that. IMO, by my shopping at WM, I would be consenting to their practices and I simply cannot do that. Even if it would save me money.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think $15 or $20 an hour. I'm thinking between $10 and $12. You can live on that. IMO, by my shopping at WM, I would be consenting to their practices and I simply cannot do that. Even if it would save me money.
It's still pretty hard to live on $12 an hour, unless it's supplemental income or if you have a husband or wife making much more than that. You would be living bare bones and not have much spending money.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It's still pretty hard to live on $12 an hour, unless it's supplemental income or if you have a husband or wife making much more than that. You would be living bare bones and not have much spending money.

Well...it is what it is. I'm not going to sit here and say companies should pay employees to live high on the hog. Jobs are paid according to skill level and the available people in the employment pool. Conversely, I do believe companies should pay so people can live and eat on their paychecks.

$12 an hour is about $360 take home. Is it alot of money? No, of course not. But I don't think people should expect to get rich (or even middle class) while working as a cashier.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well...it is what it is. I'm not going to sit here and say companies should pay employees to live high on the hog. Jobs are paid according to skill level and the available people in the employment pool. Conversely, I do believe companies should pay so people can live and eat on their paychecks.

$12 an hour is about $360 take home. Is it alot of money? No, of course not. But I don't think people should expect to get rich (or even middle class) while working as a cashier.
I agree with everything you are saying, but most companies do not care what they pay, they only worry about the bottom line. I wish there were more jobs around her paying $15 an hour, but they are few and far between, so people can live and put food on their tables.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
For every Honesdale example you can provide I can provide TWO Pittston examples. Tomato Town was a hip and thriving place with movie theaters, a JCPenney, Woolworth's, and 21,000 people in its heyday. Now it has 7,000 people, largely abandoned buildings, crappy homes, and is now merely a "bedroom community" of both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. What caused this? The proliferation of new shopping centers and chains along Route 11 in Pittston Twp. in the 1960s-1970s. Today that "old sprawl" will now be threatened by the "new sprawl" along Route 315. It's just a colossal waste of open space to me.
Pittston was dying out long before Wal-Mart came to town. Wal-Mart hasn't even been in Pittston that long....maybe 10 years? Adn even with Scranton, downtown was dead long before Commerce Blvd and Viewmont Dr even existed....actually for how dead downtown Scranton is now, it was even worse before the area around the Viewmont Mall really built up. Until about the mid-90's, the area where all the stores are behind and around the mall was all woods.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
News flash...Wal-Mart isn't the only place that pays low wages for retail work....pick any store, from chains like Target, K-Mart, Penney's, Sears to local mom-and-pops, they all pay low wages. Actually Rite Aid is one chain that pays horrible...they pay minimum wage....WM at least starts at a dollar or so above minimum. I worked for Sam's Club (part of Wal-Mart) years ago when I was in college, and it really wasn't that bad for a part-time job...I was treated just fine, and the pay wasn't bad for the time....I worked there 2 years in the mid-90's, started at $6.50 an hour, and made $8.50 an hour when I left 2 years later. And this was almost 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania