Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 PM

90 posts, read 381,495 times

Advertisements

Planning to move to Pa hopefully soon. Found a nice older home in South Sterling. Would like information on the area. Could not find out much on google search. Except a lot of B & B's. Is it a safe place to live. Is there work in or around the area...with out a long commute.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 08:38 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Hello there! South Sterling is up in my neck of the woods, about a 35 to 40 minute drive or so from Scranton via Route 191 North from town up to I-84West. As far as proximity to employment centers, commerce, shopping, dining, etc. is concerned, you're going to be in for a rude awakening, as South Sterling is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. LOL! You're about twenty minutes north of Mount Pocono, where there's gas stations, a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Perkins, Wendy's, and Bill's Shur-Save Supermarket, among a few other conveniences. There's also a hospital here, and the nearby Tobyhanna Army Depot would probably be the nearest major employer to South Sterling.

Crime is just about non-existent in South Sterling, and you're not far at all from Lake Wallenpaupack and Promised Land and Tobyhanna State Parks for some great outdoor recreation. It's a very serene, tranquil, beautiful part of the Poconos to call home, but it's remained this unspoiled paradise because it's FAR from everything! LOL!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times
I live in Greentown, which is one of the towns next to South Sterling. It is a very rural area, but there are grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, doctors, etc., all located within a few miles. Not sure if you are from the city, but hopefully you like driving, because it is part of life here. We are also very close (5-10 min.) from I-84, and then about a 25-minute drive to Dickson City, which is home to the Viewmont Mall and just about every restaurant and retail chain you can think of. Also, for about the same drive you could head to Scranton (a mall and downtown shopping area) or bypass Scranton and head to Montage Mtn Rd., where a large Cinemark theatre is located and there is also a new shopping area opening in March 07. The Mount Pocono area is about a 30-minute drive also, with a somewhat smaller variety of shopping/restaurants. I have lived in the area all my life (over 40 years), and some people think its terrible to have to drive so far, but we are used to it and certainly wouldn't trade it for the city. As far as employment, it would depend what you are looking for and how far you would want to travel. I worked at Tobyhanna years ago and it is about a 20-minute drive. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:51 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,611 times
Default Building in Greentown

Hello,
We'll be building in Greentown (Sugar Hill Estates) and are very excited. Glad to be distanced from shopping, malls, etc. We love the rural feel and spaciousness of the area. It truly seems unspoiled. If I can go grocery shopping, etc. 20 minutes away, I'm happy. What else can you tell me about Greentown? Closest Catholic Church? Thanks!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
Default Catholic Church...

The closest Catholic Church is right in Greentown, St. Anthony's. There is also, from what I have heard but have never been there, a beautiful old stone church, St. Veronica's in Tafton, not far away.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times
lfrancone: St. Anthony's Catholic church is in Newfoundland (Newfoundland/Greentown/South Sterling are all neighboring towns). Also, you won't have to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store, there's a nice one right in town. There is pretty much everything except a department store. We have a great elementary school (K-6) in Newfoundland with a nice public park right across the road. There are 4-H clubs, baseball and soccer leagues for the kids, and several civic clubs (Lion's, American Legion, Community Women) if you're into that. At the end of August there is the GDS Fair (located behind the school), which lasts a week and has lots of entertainment, etc. Other various events are held at the fairgrounds. Lake Wallenpaupack is just a few miles up Route 507. The area can be a bit crowded in the summer, but from after Labor Day till Memorial Day it is great.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,509 times
Looking for area in which people find it to far to travel to NY daily but not to far.we are retired looking quiet area for the summer.went to BUCK HILL FALLS loved the houses but the 8600 a year common charges was a little to much

Old 01-19-2007, 07:06 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,611 times
It would seem to me that any of the towns off I-84 would be a good choice. You're really too far from NYC to commute so the area has remained quite unspoiled. It still has a rural/small town feel to it. Your also not too far from a hospital (Wayne Memorial in Honesdale) or shopping. There are grocery stores within a few minutes drive (or so I'm told). Also, the taxes in Pike or Wayne county are lower than Monroe County. Best thing to do is visit the area to get a feel for it. That's what my husband and I did and now we're sold. Once you've lived on Long Island, Northeast PA seems like Shangri La!
We'll be building in Greentown and if I can give you any specific info, let me know. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania