Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

So our headlines today in the News is about the riot up in Mt Pocono.
One policeman having to call for backup, after threats, defiance, blocking traffic, cursing with aggressive posture...........
I'm sad.......
This is a carnival of 40 years.........
A place to go with your children and have an enjoyable time.
The bloggers of the Pocono Record are not in the least happy that
there was a brazen disrespect of authority.
And now, a carnival, always a fun time to look forward to........is crashed by a group of thugs........
Oh Dear Pocono, what has happened to you?
What do we have to do now to stop all this muckrake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
So our headlines today in the News is about the riot up in Mt Pocono.
One policeman having to call for backup, after threats, defiance, blocking traffic, cursing with aggressive posture...........
I'm sad.......
This is a carnival of 40 years.........
A place to go with your children and have an enjoyable time.
The bloggers of the Pocono Record are not in the least happy that
there was a brazen disrespect of authority.
And now, a carnival, always a fun time to look forward to........is crashed by a group of thugs........
Oh Dear Pocono, what has happened to you?
What do we have to do now to stop all this muckrake?
This is a first for Mt. Pocono, isn't it?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
This is terrible news...

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 07-24-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
This is a first for Mt. Pocono, isn't it?
As far as a riot goes.........you may just be totally correct.
Fights, fueding, but.........a riot........
Mt Pocono was a happy place.....this is not good.
First there was a fight at the carnival then 20 to 25 people gathered across from the carnival.......leading to this. The poor single policeman who had to call for backup. Outnumbered..........(I'd of crawled under a rock) Yes, he used his taser......just like any of us would do in that situation.
The Poconos wasn't meant for things like this.......its not a city......
Its a town with fun and frolic.
It really is sad............because what can we do?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
As far as a riot goes.........you may just be totally correct.
Fights, fueding, but.........a riot........
Mt Pocono was a happy place.....this is not good.
First there was a fight at the carnival then 20 to 25 people gathered across from the carnival.......leading to this. The poor single policeman who had to call for backup. Outnumbered..........(I'd of crawled under a rock) Yes, he used his taser......just like any of us would do in that situation.
The Poconos wasn't meant for things like this.......its not a city......
Its a town with fun and frolic.
It really is sad............because what can we do?
A very sad state of affairs. I think everyone needs to take an interest on what is going on the the community. If people work together and band in numbers - is it possible that this type of behavior and attitude would not be tolerated. If some just turn their heads and look away, it is a welcome invitation that bedlam rules.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
Summering, I've been reading about this incident for the last two days online. I didn't check it yet today.

If we, as a society, could do something to check this behavior at an early age, perhaps things might change.

I strongly feel that it begins in our public schools. We have students, in alarming numbers, who exhibit this sort of total disregard and respect for authority. The parents are worse. Thus, the first place where this behavior could be addressed is intimidated by threats and legal action. The courts and our system allows it to go unchecked to a much greater degree than is realized. School districts bend and fold to the parents because they don't want lengthy and costly court battles. All children are entitled to a free education...mandated to have an education...and the parents know it. The courts back them.

I could rant on and on about how the system has allowed itself to be abused. In the end it's the kids and society that suffers via this learned/reinforced behavior. An example is what I've been reading about this incident at the Mt. Pocono Carnival. If a cop says move, ya move!!!!!!!!!!!! NO bs and back talk. Ya just move.

I know I'm not expressing myself very well, and I'm ranting. It's a complicated issue. It frustrates the ba-geeshers outta me.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM

No, you did very well Rocky..........I know that Bill Cosby in his 2004 speech in Washington DC made some of the same points.
His book........"Come on People": on the path from Victims to Victors, is a good start for families to read. To stop embracing victimization ,and violence, and dispair.......and wallowing in all past misfortune........
He said it like it is, and he got some flack for it, but so be it.............."

Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Not to be a nay sayer but as the cost of living(fuel, electric, taxes, etc.) continues to soar in NJ and NY the exodus of those will continue. They will bring their urban attitudes and their urban mentality to a country setting and there you go. They have more freedom(less police presence) here to do as they see fit in any manner they so choose.

This is a terrible thing to happen at a family event but unfortunately I think its a sign of the times for the pocono region and eastern PA in general.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Not to be a nay sayer but as the cost of living(fuel, electric, taxes, etc.) continues to soar in NJ and NY the exodus of those will continue. They will bring their urban attitudes and their urban mentality to a country setting and there you go. They have more freedom(less police presence) here to do as they see fit in any manner they so choose.

This is a terrible thing to happen at a family event but unfortunately I think its a sign of the times for the pocono region and eastern PA in general.
So crime is skyrocketing in the Poconos while just a half-hour northwestward Mayor Doherty licks his chops at the prospect of being able to slash public safety budgets in order to balance his own master plan budget? What's wrong with this picture?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

Well I will just sit down on a tractor and cry.......if this happens at the West End Fair......
I just can't even stand the thought of that happening.........
For a bit I think we are safe from it, but who knows when........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania