Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has NEPA Cornered the Market on Terrible Drivers?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 12 44.44%
Blinker? What's That? 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:27 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
anyone who drives slower than me is a hazard, anyone who drives faster than me is a moron
That quote would make an excellent bumper sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
I have driven all over the states, most of canada and in europe. PA drivers are great. The worst drivers are Ma drivers.

I live on Long Island and the drivers here seem ok ; maybe after 20 years I am used to them. I love driving in PA. But take me to Boston ; wow, they are seriously in need of help.

Sorry about our mum ; hope she recovers asap.

dorothy

Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
There IS a difference, though - back in NY, it's pure aggression. Here in NEPA, it's pure stupidity.

I'll take aggression over stupidity any day.
So true. Not a day goes by where I don't encounter some form of stupid driving up here. Like Paul stated, the lack of signal use is amazing to me. How hard is it to flip the signal switch in the desired direction you want to go in? And there's the people who ride their brakes down a little hill like they're going down Mount Everest. I used to drive in NY a lot and it is harder to drive down there. More traffic and a larger population of people. It does seem like they drive more crazy down there and more aggressively, like SifuPhil pointed out, but up here in NEPA the overall drivers tend to do more silly things and are less skilled drivers. I think it has something to do with the drivers test. My parents have stated it's a lot harder to get a license in NY than it is to get one in PA. Maybe if PennDOt started making it a little harder to get a license, we would start seeing a better crop of drivers here in NEPA.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:48 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Maybe if PennDOt started making it a little harder to get a license, we would start seeing a better crop of drivers here in NEPA.
Heh - I've always believed there should be an intelligence test for driving AND parenting.

Guess that would kill the auto and childcare industries, though.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
There IS a difference, though - back in NY, it's pure aggression. Here in NEPA, it's pure stupidity.

I'll take aggression over stupidity any day.

But really....being agressive with your vehicle boils down to pure stupidity.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
One thing I have noticed about Pa drivers...nobody MERGES into an intersection when waiting to make a turn...they wait just where you would wait if the light is red. You should be pulled up enough so that your is right where you are turning and you can just turn your steering wheel and go.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
ScranBarre, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Please convince her to go to the doctors, even if she feels ok. I still have problems with my neck because I thought I was fine after being rearended by a drunk, without a license, driving a stolen car! I waited a few days until I was getting numbness in my fingers, then I went to the Dr. So, convince her to go, just to hear the Doc say she's going to be fine.

Driving to Massachusetts yesterday, I'm beginning to think that CT drivers are the worst. Almost got hit twice, and I was doing 10 over the limit in the right lane! We have a theory here, if there is CT plates and the driver is wearing a hat, STAY AWAY. Something about that combo seems to guarantee the driver will do something stupid.

NYC driving is an entirely different style of driving than anywhere else but perhaps California. It's all aggression all the time! It's my least favorite place to drive and probably has the worst drivers in the world!

Overall though, I think anyone on the phone, hands free or not, is a bad driver. I think that's the cause of a lot of accidents. Holding the phone is not the distraction, the conversation is.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:27 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I have driven all over the states, most of canada and in europe. PA drivers are great. The worst drivers are Ma drivers.
MA drivers are pretty darn bad. I once drove outside Boston during an ice storm, and they all still stayed about 3 feet behind each other's bumpers. Of course I saw 3-4 accidents per mile on that trip.

But, at least you know what they're going to do-- you can anticipate that they'll do whatever is most likely to get them into an accident, so you can drive defensively.

Here in PA, I have no idea what people are going to do. The aforementioned lack of turn signals is a huge pain (as a driver and as a pedestrian.)

When people have the right of way, some keep going as they should, some stop to let you go (and cause worse traffic tie-ups), and some just slow down and wonder what you're going to do. (And then the car behind them catches up and you still can't go.

The other thing that really gets me is nobody goes around people turning left. The person turning left usually stays 10 ft from the double-yellow line, so there isn't room to go around them anyway. But even when there is, people just line up behind them.

Sorry to hear about your mom, ScranB. Hope she's ok..

Old 09-20-2008, 06:10 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Hope your moms okay ScranBarre, though the new car must be nice..............

But all of this sounds terrible, I dont even remember the last time one of my family members was in a Crash, cousins and all. And the last time I saw an accident was.................... errr.............. 3, 4 weeks ago?

On a brighter note, my birthdays tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Hope your moms okay ScranBarre, though the new car must be nice..............

But all of this sounds terrible, I dont even remember the last time one of my family members was in a Crash, cousins and all. And the last time I saw an accident was.................... errr.............. 3, 4 weeks ago?

On a brighter note, my birthdays tomorrow.
Happy 12th birthday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania