Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times

Advertisements

The way people are talking about Scranton & Wilkes-Barre, I'm wondering if we should wear our bullet-proof vests & carry semi-automatic rifles when we come up in December & not venture out of the hotel!!!!

(and get our chihuahua a bandolier!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
PA, gotta love it!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:12 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'll wager you an entire shiny new penny!
created from recycled plumbing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
PA, gotta love it!
its nation wide, happening here in arizona as well

Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
created from recycled plumbing??
lmao!!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Whats the matter...Reality starting to set in? I have been saying for over a year now that the cuts in police and lack of public safety were going to catch up with the city......There have been many assaults in the city that NEVER make the paper..Ask HighHat about the amount of attacks at Da U.

The only difference is that it is now reaching a level that the city and the Times can no longer hide.
'Da U' is the one covering up their crime rates, not the Times - all universities have to report their crime stats, and poor stats mean less students and less money. And again, police presence can do NOTHING when it comes to really off the wall violent crimes. Ask HighHat about THAT.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
'Da U' is the one covering up their crime rates, not the Times - all universities have to report their crime stats, and poor stats mean less students and less money. And again, police presence can do NOTHING when it comes to really off the wall violent crimes. Ask HighHat about THAT.
I know this a sore spot for many especially the Scranton residents and believe me if I was a resident I would feel the same way. I can tell you that I never see a police presence from the University Police. They drive around. I say, whether it is the city/university get these folks on foot beats. Walking the beat and getting to talk to people is how you collect information. Personally when there is a large enough presence both with foot patrol/bikes/cars undercover it has a tendency to deter the crime. Right now it is a free-for-all attitude and I can tell you I do not feel comfortable walking to my car. However, this is just my opinion. If the people in charge keep burying their heads in the sand it will just get worse.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,613 times
You have to agree though that all the police you can get will still not deter really crazy violent crime, brought on by mental instability, drug abuse, etc. Police presence only works on those who care about the potential outcome of illegal activity.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post

I'm so sorry to hear about the theft. It's a shame things have gotten so bad that people have to steal PIPES to feed whatever need they have.
The pipe thieves aren't people with a legitimate need (food, heat, children, etc)....its typically drug addict scum.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Scranton WAS incredibly safe up until these past six months or so, at which point all hell has now broken loose. I see that at 3 AM this morning a woman walking in Hyde Park was attacked by a man on a bicycle. On the plus side our dedicated police have caught those inner-city punks responsible for that violent home invasion along Mulberry Street in the Hill Section last month. Now where is the vengeance for that poor elderly man who recently died after having his throat slit randomly in broad daylight?

Scranton has NEVER seen such an intensely concentrated string of violent crimes in what I'd guess would be about a decade. I'd wager anyone a bet that Scranton's violent crime rate will surpass that of Wilkes-Barre in 2008 for the first year in many.
Maybe people will wake up and vote Doherty out next year.....his slashing of public safety is finally showing its results......

Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
You have to agree though that all the police you can get will still not deter really crazy violent crime, brought on by mental instability, drug abuse, etc. Police presence only works on those who care about the potential outcome of illegal activity.
Police usually shows up AFTER the crime has been committed. I will be first thing in the morning in the sheriff's office to apply for my concealed carry permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania