Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs7 View Post
The competition for spots in med school is very stiff--I'm sure that there are some impressively bright students at just about every accredited med school.

my fiance was reading something that said the only way to get into med school is to apply to all of them and go where you get accepted. Spots are tight, waiting lists are long and these schools have their choice of the best students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,990,056 times
the Uof S has a 98% placement, which is unheard of. 2005, when I graduated, it had 100%

Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 PM

325 posts, read 806,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
my fiance was reading something that said the only way to get into med school is to apply to all of them and go where you get accepted. Spots are tight, waiting lists are long and these schools have their choice of the best students.

Yes, exactly. And keep in mind that while a good doctor has to be smart, that is not the only requirement. I'd rather have someone who had a 3.7 GPA and knows how to listen to his/her patients than someone who had a 4.0 GPA and pays no attention to what a patient is saying. The academic requirements are only one part of a long list of talents/skills that make a good doctor. (And I'm saying this as someone who has a *lot* of respect for academic talent and achievement!)

Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs7 View Post
Yes, exactly. And keep in mind that while a good doctor has to be smart, that is not the only requirement. I'd rather have someone who had a 3.7 GPA and knows how to listen to his/her patients than someone who had a 4.0 GPA and pays no attention to what a patient is saying.
That's right, most people do apply to a lot of schools. (Residency applications are an even crazier process from what I remember when my bro graduated.) And for some the ability to live at home, to stay near family, or to keep their current part-time job will outweigh a school's rep. Your average student there won't be the caliber of a Johns Hopkins student, but there will be some great doctors.

Looking for a pediatrician around here I'd say this area is already suffering a shortage of good docs. Getting the good ones to work here after school and residency may still be the real challenge...

Old 11-14-2008, 08:09 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,903 times
My favorite G.P. left the area to go to the Philly area to accept a teaching position. So perhaps this will attract good doctors to the area!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,236 times
I think putting it in the Steamtown Mall building is a great idea Go Phillies...would be a very wise move I think.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
I think the next school you may see in the scranton area is a dental school. A friend told me a few months ago that PSU went to the state asking if they could think about starting a dental school at near state college, the state said no because there aren't many patients out there that would support a dental school. But from what my friend told me, that state did tell PSU that if they wanted to go to the scranton area, they'd consider it. And this is because scranton has enough of a patient population to support a dental school.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
If I couldn't get into a recognized med school I would rather go to school in Grenada then Scranton.
I have thought of moving back to Scranton;but the resident's negativity and mindset are changing my mind!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I have thought of moving back to Scranton;but the resident's negativity and mindset are changing my mind!
I can assure you not everyone in Scranton is negative. The problem is that those who ARE content living in the city are apparently very lazy and don't care enough to defend their city's very sour external image. If you look at this forum nearly everyone I've known on here over the past three years who has "stood up" for the city's image has been a suburbanite. Just think about your experiences shopping/apartment-hunting/dining out. Don't you think people are much more likely to rant and rave about the negative experiences they've had in order to warn others to stay away than they are to sing the praises of something that they've had a good experience with? I noticed this in NoVA where EVERY complex I looked at online had very negative reviews. Obviously a few million people live in NoVA (and growing gang-busters each day), so not EVERYONE is living in a roach hotel.

Scranton is admittedly NOT without its faults. I wouldn't call weluvpa a "doomer"; he is just fed up after years of being shut-out by what many consider to be an efficient city government. The TRUE doomers are people like Les Spindler, Fay Franus, Bill Jackowitz, and most of the other council regulars who would be at the council podium to complain weekly if Mayor Doherty defecated $50 bills and vanilla ice cream on their front lawns because they should have been $100 bills and chocolate ice cream. Some of them even complain and blame the council/mayor for NATIONAL issues like the recession (isn't blaming Chris Doherty for an issue that affects 305,000,000 people giving him TOO much credit?)

Scranton's positives outweigh its negatives, but after experiencing life in a "Pleasantville" place like NoVA I now realize that Scranton's benefits don't far outweigh its negatives---it's more balanced in that respect.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-04-2009 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Typographical Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania