Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 30,002 times

Advertisements

My husband and I looked at a house in the development Lake in the Clouds. it's in Canadensis. The house is exactly what we are looking for - commute is a little far for us - but my husband says he doesn't like the weather. There was snow on the ground, about an inch or two. It was pretty icy too. Thing is - you drive 5 minutes down the mountain and it's clear - no slow. Is it always like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriann642 View Post
but my husband says he doesn't like the weather.
Well if you are going to live there he will have to get used to it.. There's lots of trees that come down in the summer time & winter. Takes PP&L sometimes a couple days to get power back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriann642 View Post

There was snow on the ground, about an inch or two. It was pretty icy too. Thing is - you drive 5 minutes down the mountain and it's clear - no slow. Is it always like this?
Winter time up there is pretty bad. Rt447 is a mess when ever it snows. Theres lots of turns on that road as im sure you already have seen. And only 1 way to go. So if theres a crash.... You will be tied up for a bit. Also school busses will slow you down all the time. They stop at every single house to let just 1 kid off.. So It might take you a bit to get home if you get stuck behind one.

The first lake in the clouds going up the hill from Greentown, isnt that bad but the roads suck, and still lots of snow. The next one on the right Main, Gets even more snow because its up higher and more trees in that one to fall down and cut power. I been in both many many times in the winter.

Good luck!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 28,311 times
If you don't like driving in the snow, then this is not the place for you. I lived very close to there (Panther) for years and it gets BAD in the winter. PP&L ignores RT. 447 above the red light in Canadensis for some reason. Many times I drove up 447 from Stroudsburg and the roads were untouched for hours after the snow storm had ended. Also power outages are frequent, so a home generator is almost a must so you can run your well and other essentials. It is a pretty remote area. If this is what you are lookng for, then don't be afraid of driving in the snow. It comes with the territory. Just make sure your 4x4 is working!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM

65 posts, read 206,208 times
We have lived in Canadensis for a lil over 2 yrs. I have to say we havent lost power and were a bit surprised with everyone telling us it would happen.. We do get the winds but nothing like Mt. Pocono, Route 447 can be a bit messy but we dont get Colorado snows so its manageable. We live in a nice community south of the light on 447, check it out The Hamlet. So far no major complaints....I wouldnt call it remote, we have gas stations, stores, cvs, diners, etc.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 35,894 times
Lamessino, my family and I are about to move to the Hamlet in about 1 month. It would be nice to meet new people and hopefully meet new friends. We have two boys, do you guys have any kids?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
My sister lives in The Hamlet and I would definitely call it remote. It's beautiful and peaceful but 447 can be bad. You can expect a lot of snow days and 2 hour delays for the schools. Not as bad when you have older kids but it was difficult when the kids were small because she couldn't leave them home alone and go to work.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 35,894 times
Is route 447 the only way to get to the Hamlet?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,071 times
My fiance and I are moving to Canadensis, PA in abt a month, The Hamlet, what are the winters like there? Approximately how much snow in the winter, and when does it usually start snowing there....moving from Southern NJ.....just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania