Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Does downtown Scranton need another bar across the street from three and around the corner from three more?

In that immediate area we have ....Traxx, The Side Car, Rocky's, Molly Branigans, Colesseum(sp?), Pj's 1910 Pub and now Kildare's...My pride is retsored....

The new slogan should be ...Come to Scranton, where you can get drunk enough to forget where you are!
Where the heck is "The Side Car?" Actually, Kildares would serve to fill the corner where Jefferson meets Lackawanna, and would complete that whole section, which should draw business. True enough, you're probably looking at the bar-hop crowd, but it's still business.

They are probably also hoping for traffic from the 500 project once it gets completed. I'll go there from time to time; I was in the Shoppes location once, I liked the menu and service but I'm never up there and I'm not going to have even a single beer and then drive all the way back home - too much traffic and young kids in parking lots in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvysmom View Post
You know who I almost feel badly for? The folks who paid 500K + for a home in Glenmaura near nature, skiing, a baseball field and close to the highway. Now it's also close to the corporate office parks, the movie theater, and the mall too....not really the same landscape it was 10 years ago.
The advantage of Glenmaura is primarily location. It's so close to the interstate, baseball, skiing, airport, movies, and it's centrally located between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, etc. So the recent building up of the mountain only adds to the list of reasons to live there. Seclusion was never one of them. And let me tell you, our property values certainly have not suffered because of it.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
I would think it would be a royal pain in the arse to live on that mountain and deal with the traffic in the summer, especially when there's a concert.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
And let me tell you, our property values certainly have not suffered because of it.
I'm sure you were making the mortgage payment, right?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
The advantage of Glenmaura is primarily location. It's so close to the interstate, baseball, skiing, airport, movies, and it's centrally located between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, etc. So the recent building up of the mountain only adds to the list of reasons to live there. Seclusion was never one of them. And let me tell you, our property values certainly have not suffered because of it.
Location is why homes in my hometown of Pittston Township sell so well. You can be in Downtown Scranton or Downtown Wilkes-Barre in fifteen minutes or less with I-81 being literally one-minute from my driveway. For dually-employed couples with one spouse working in each city, you really can't beat the commute, hence why we are growing so quickly now. I-81 is really the "lifeline" of our entire area. Whenever that shuts down, we all suffer.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
The side car is the little bar inside the Radisson but not in Traxx..Its still a bar.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,707 times
Quote:
The new slogan should be ...Come to Scranton, where you can get drunk enough to forget where you are!
Haha, points for your new slogan.

I still haven't been up to the "Shoppes". I pretty much detest the whole idea, from the sprawl-y location to the extra "p" & "e" in the damn name.

I really don't get putting a bar somewhere that everyone has to drive to, mostly via 10+ minutes on the interstate. That seems completely retarded.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM

109 posts, read 366,810 times
Quote:

While there are amenities, there are trade offs too. I would think it would be irritating... being stuck in a traffic jam that added 30 min to 1 hr to my commute home b/c of a game or concert traffic that is clogging up a poorly planned road (whats even more irritating is knowing that you are less than a mile from your house and yet you can't get there!!).

I don't know, I worked on Montage mountain for 12 years, and I have seen the changes it has gone through, good and bad. I am not insinuating that folks moved to Moosic of all places for seculsion, but it certainly wasn't the call center, shopping & entertainment mecca it is morphing into...that is all I am saying...it's a much different landscape.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,799 times
Quote:
The side car is the little bar inside the Radisson but not in Traxx..Its still a bar.
I still can't get over the number of bars up your way!!! Even when I go to Manhattan, it seems there's not even as many there!!

We had lunch at Krugel's Deli in WB & I was floored that they let you drink alchohol there!! Here in Florida, you can get wine & beer at any food store, drug store or deli, but you can't sit down & polish off any!! There was 1 guy at another table that gulped down 5 beers (may have been 6 or more, as he was there when we walked in...) in the time we were eating & then got behind the wheel of his pick-up.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,719 times
The bars in downtown Scranton coming and going is nothing new !! YEARS ago when I was young and single, my friends and I did happy hour almost every night. Then it was 'The Board Room' - 'Club C & C' then came 'Attilios' and so on !! Anyway, my point is we easily got board with going to the same haunt, so as soon as a new bar opened we frequented that happy hour. The downtown Scranton happy hour crowd were like ants -- as soon as the sugar was gone on one hill we moved in mass to the next hill !!!!!!!!!! Thank God those days are over !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania