Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well, Omaha has had 3, although Omaha also has 10 times the population, so hows the murder number for you metro?
Omaha only had 3 murders? That's amazing for a city that size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Omaha only had 3 murders? That's amazing for a city that size.
Not really. Go Ne got confused. Omaha isn't 10 times the size of our metropolitan population of 551,000 (meaning it would have well over 5,000,000 people). It is roughly ten times the size of the city of Wilkes-Barre, at a population of 425,000 as compared to Wilkes-Barre's 42,500 or so. Three murders per month (36 per year) for a city of 425,000 is probably just average. Then again at this rate Wilkes-Barre would expect 12 murders for a city of 42,500. That's NOT good.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Can someone explain to me how a community of 4,685 individuals could be in the news for violent crime bi-weekly? I work in Edwardsville, and I pay $52 for that "privilege" annually---the privilege of having to have had to contact our loss prevention official on numerous occasions. What do our dollars pay for? Obviously it's not for adequate police patrols or for community revitalization initiatives. I can recall in the past that one of our members, the brother of a borough councilman, slammed everyone who had one negative thing to say about Edwardsville, but I'm still awaiting an answer on as to how a borough of 4,685 people can be replete with so much violent crime. The closure of the murder-ridden Glass Bar (which then burned down in an arson to add insult to injury) was supposed to have "cleaned up" Edwardsville. Apparently that wasn't the case.

Edwardsville residents, what say you? What has happened to your town? Why did you let things get this badly? When do you plan to band together and take back your streets from your MASSIVE drug problem? (To be fair a small, seedy portion of generally highly-regarded Kingston is guilty of this as well). I never saw so many derelicts wandering the streets in my life as I did when I drove a friend home last year at about 2 AM (I suppose that's when the bars close?)

well, if its anything like 10 years ago when i met a few friends at curry donuts for coffee the cops are too busy chasing customers out of businesses as opposed to busting the guy selling drugs right outside .
We were there with half eaten donuts and still full coffee in front of us when the cop told us we were loitering and he should haul us off to jail. I didn't realize consuming food in an establishment that serves it was loitering. Now, one person in the group knew the cashier well, and she certainly didn't call. but naturally the group of older guys that were there all day weren't harassed. go figure. Its a big circle of chasing the wrong people, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

As for the glass bar closing, that doesn't really solve much of the problem. the bar was a mess because of the patrons that frequented the place. surely they didn't quit drinking, just moved on to the next location.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
well, if its anything like 10 years ago when i met a few friends at curry donuts for coffee the cops are too busy chasing customers out of businesses as opposed to busting the guy selling drugs right outside .
We were there with half eaten donuts and still full coffee in front of us when the cop told us we were loitering and he should haul us off to jail. I didn't realize consuming food in an establishment that serves it was loitering. Now, one person in the group knew the cashier well, and she certainly didn't call. but naturally the group of older guys that were there all day weren't harassed. go figure. Its a big circle of chasing the wrong people, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

As for the glass bar closing, that doesn't really solve much of the problem. the bar was a mess because of the patrons that frequented the place. surely they didn't quit drinking, just moved on to the next location.
i agree with you about the police in edwardsville---they are too busy ticketing cars that are not parked correctly within the lines in the LOEW'S parking lot---REALLY DANGEROUS WORK---CHASING OLD PEOPLE THAT CANNOT TELL WHERE THE SNOW COVERED LINES BEGIN AND END

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,688 times
I used to do a lot of home health visits in Edwardsville, and it was a bit scary at times!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM

87 posts, read 258,620 times
I told you people what to do a long time ago. Get some baseball bats, a few primed up dudes, and aim carefully. Start breaking heads. Protect your own neighborhoods. Works for me. I guarantee there will NEVER be any trouble on my street. NEVER! And if an out of town landlord buys a property and rents it to undesirables, he get's a message and if he doesn't adhere, his property becomes unlivable. End of story. Now I imagine that's hard to do with these skels in Edwardsvilles, but not impossible. And there are plenty of people who feel like most of you and I do. They just have to be motivated properly.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
i agree with you about the police in edwardsville---they are too busy ticketing cars that are not parked correctly within the lines in the LOEW'S parking lot---REALLY DANGEROUS WORK---CHASING OLD PEOPLE THAT CANNOT TELL WHERE THE SNOW COVERED LINES BEGIN AND END
The son of the Edwardsville police chief is employed by Lowe's. The borough officials seemed to view Lowe's as being the first step in "reviving" the town. It hasn't happened.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
When we were up there, we went to the Lowe's in Edwardsville for cemetary wreaths.

Edwardsville reminded me of some of the "ghetto" parts of West Palm Beach: slightly run down, "shady looking" people hanging out watching everything with darting eyes....it had a "claustrophobic" sense to me, but it could've been that the streets there seem so narrow too...

When we got out of the car in the Lowe's parking lot, this older guy came towards us muttering to himself & he had those "Marty Feldman" eyes (the ones that one eye looks at ya & one eye looks for ya....) & we thought "holy crap!! where did we land"!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
When we were up there, we went to the Lowe's in Edwardsville for cemetary wreaths.

Edwardsville reminded me of some of the "ghetto" parts of West Palm Beach: slightly run down, "shady looking" people hanging out watching everything with darting eyes....it had a "claustrophobic" sense to me, but it could've been that the streets there seem so narrow too...

When we got out of the car in the Lowe's parking lot, this older guy came towards us muttering to himself & he had those "Marty Feldman" eyes (the ones that one eye looks at ya & one eye looks for ya....) & we thought "holy crap!! where did we land"!!!
See, I don't get that feeling from Edwardsville at all....granted, I've only been to that small area where Lowes is, and a nightclub not far up the road. Maybe becuase I've seen areas like Newark and Paterson, NJ that Edwardsville just doesn't seem that bad? Maybe if I drove through the neighborhoods I'd get a different sense...

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
See, I don't get that feeling from Edwardsville at all....granted, I've only been to that small area where Lowes is, and a nightclub not far up the road. Maybe becuase I've seen areas like Newark and Paterson, NJ that Edwardsville just doesn't seem that bad? Maybe if I drove through the neighborhoods I'd get a different sense...
The GPS took us through a whole bunch of "side streets" & 1-way streets for some reason... When we left Lowe's, we took some "main drag" back to another "main drag" that went over the bridge to Wilkes Barre instead of the same round-about way we came...don't ask...I have no idea!!

So I can't tell you what "parts" of Edwardsville we saw, but what we did see gave me that feeling!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania