Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious!

http://godhungry.org/wp-content/images/trainwreck.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
*Snickers*
That's exactly why I didn't dignify that post with a response....it spoke for itself ::giggle::

Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Why should your child inconvenience me? If he's not able to act appropriately in a public environment, then he shouldn't be there, period. You as the parent are responsible for setting an example, and I would think that would be teaching them not to act up in public...or are you one of those parents who think children should be able to "express themselves" in any way they please anywhere they please :::eyeroll:::. No, I certainly wasn't an angel when I was a child, but you know what? My mother didn't allow me to sit there and ruin everyone else's dinner because I felt like being a brat. My parents disciplined me, and took other people into consideration when bringing me places. I bet you're one of those parents that totes your toddler around to rated R movies at 10pm on Friday nights "because you can".
You may find this surprising, but as a mother of four, I completely agree with you Enya. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking children out to dinner, shopping, etc., as long as they are taught the correct way to behave. As a parent, you have to learn to schedule your outings around your infant/toddler's schedule so that they don't start screaming or whining halfway through dinner. And when they do, then one of the parents should be responsible enough to take the child out to the lobby until they quiet down so that every other person in the room doesn't have to listen to it. As kids become older, you start taking them to family-friendly places so that they can learn how to behave and what is expected of them. We have always taken our kids out, and many times we have seen people cringe when they saw a large family w/little kids get seated near them. But we have often had older couples come up to us and compliment us on how well behaved the kids are. It's always challenging with kids, but not impossible if you plan ahead. And if your kids truly can't sit through a meal without throwing a tantrum, then find a babysitter or stay home.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM

202 posts, read 568,167 times
Default I am just getting in at the end of this but in my case

if my kid ever acted up in a restaurant or any place for that matter, we left, I just feel that it is not fair to ruin someone elses evening when my child had a tantrum . That's just me though.. you can't blame a kid for being tired and acting crabby it is not his fault but you can leave and let everyone else enjoy themselves.

Now if he is just being bold I would pull him aside tell him to behave and if that did not work I would leave and talk to him again.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
You may find this surprising, but as a mother of four, I completely agree with you Enya. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking children out to dinner, shopping, etc., as long as they are taught the correct way to behave. As a parent, you have to learn to schedule your outings around your infant/toddler's schedule so that they don't start screaming or whining halfway through dinner. And when they do, then one of the parents should be responsible enough to take the child out to the lobby until they quiet down so that every other person in the room doesn't have to listen to it. As kids become older, you start taking them to family-friendly places so that they can learn how to behave and what is expected of them. We have always taken our kids out, and many times we have seen people cringe when they saw a large family w/little kids get seated near them. But we have often had older couples come up to us and compliment us on how well behaved the kids are. It's always challenging with kids, but not impossible if you plan ahead. And if your kids truly can't sit through a meal without throwing a tantrum, then find a babysitter or stay home.
Exactly. I have a feeling most parents feel this way, but you know the saying, "there's one in every crowd".

Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
You said that perfectly Greentown. Whether you have children or not you should respect others. And namecalling is something that children learn from their parents, you all should be mindful of that.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I love getting parenting advice from people who either don't have kids or are a kid themself. That's like getting medical advice from the paperboy.
No one is telling you how to raise your children. We're only telling you how to be considerate to other people in public places. And while I may not have children of my own, I'm far more authoritative than you on how *my* family handles these situations. No amount of creative personal attacks (and in weluvpa's case, creatively spelled personal attacks) changes that fact. Stop pointing out how everyone else is disqualified from having an opinion when your conduct affects everyone.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
All I have to say is that when I was a kid, I was either strapped in a
stroller or a high chair at all times when in public. And I mean strapped
in. I probably could have survived 4Gs the way I was secured in those
things.

Today parents let their children run all over the place. While some may
see nothing wrong with this, it is a safety issue. On a recent dining
experience, I watched as a toddler left his table and proceeded to take
off and loop around into the kitchen area of the restaurant. The father
did not even hurry to chase after him. What if he had run smack into a
fryer or a griddle? Kids can be FAST and you are a fool if you think you
can make up a good 10 or 15 foot lead.

Kids babble, and that's expected. But if you're any kind of place above
a McDonalds and they have a melt down, you need to take them outside
until they regain composure. Why would you subject others to that?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Sheesh! Since I relocated all you people seem to do is bicker amongst yourselves anymore. Don't make me come up there and force I LOVE PA and Summering to start singing "Cumbaya!" What's with y'all lately? Has all of the rain put a "damper" on your moods?

It used to be that just CHS89, NYRangers 2008, weluvpa, myself, go phillies, and The Commish would all go at it about Scranton politics, but now it seems like HALF THE NEPA SUB-FORUM is smacking one another upside the head! Perhaps Reston, VA has turned me into more of a hippie beatnik now, but I expect to see one hell of a great big group hug NOW!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Geez! What's going on here?!

More infractions available! Please stay on topic - Something about restaurants?

Terms of service, "Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments."

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania