Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times

Advertisements

I'll break out the REAL camera (not the cell phone ) for some decent pictures next time lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I need to get down there. As I mentioned in another thread, we had a wedding this past weekend (it was a lot of fun!) but since we live so close we will be going to see the new digs very soon!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Took a walk down there today....very nice.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Scranton has been talking about something like this along the Lackawanna River for ages...hopefully its something that will become reality at some point. Although the problem with the river near downtown Scranton is that its now home to homeless camps...not exactly the best area for a leisurely stroll.....its relatively secluded along the Lackawanna in Scranton.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Scranton has been talking about something like this along the Lackawanna River for ages...hopefully its something that will become reality at some point. Although the problem with the river near downtown Scranton is that its now home to homeless camps...not exactly the best area for a leisurely stroll.....its relatively secluded along the Lackawanna in Scranton.
The riverfront and underneath the Market st bridge used to also be where all the homeless in Wilkes-Barre lived and camped. My wife even joked that "now the homeless will just have a beautiful, multi million dollar place to get drunk and sleep", or the contrary, I believe this new project chased out all the homeless (they now camp and sleep by the railroad tracks). With this new multi-million dollar investment, they will not allow it to go back to "hobo central". There are cameras, security guards ect. There is too much invested and at stake here to allow it to be viewed as unsafe, and filled with homeless drunks. Even the bozo's that run the county, have this much figured out.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM

I saw that the park closes at sunset.. does that mean they're not going to allow people to hang out there @ night.. that would be pretty lame.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I saw that the park closes at sunset.. does that mean they're not going to allow people to hang out there @ night.. that would be pretty lame.
I think its good...keeps the riffraff out. This isn't supposed to be another place for teenagers to hang around and smoke and litter and whatnot. Anyways, most public parks close at sunset.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I think its good...keeps the riffraff out. This isn't supposed to be another place for teenagers to hang around and smoke and litter and whatnot. Anyways, most public parks close at sunset.
I can agree, to a degree... it would be better to post a police officer in the park at night.

I used to love going to hang out by the river at night.. it was a beautiful picture.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I can agree, to a degree... it would be better to post a police officer in the park at night.

I used to love going to hang out by the river at night.. it was a beautiful picture.
I think The Guardian Angels should act as security. They are already in the city, why not utilize them? Free security!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Quote:
I agree, it's a shame you'd hardly even know the river was there. Weird when the leaves clear and the river (and homeless tents) come into view from the bridges. I bet the more it gets used, the less homeless people will want to live there.

Seems like some progress is being made towards using the river with the River Walk / Lackawanna Heritage Trail, but we're many years behind WB in really re-incorporating the river back into city life. And, it'll be a different beast being a much smaller river, but that has it's own plusses. (I like weluv's idea for promoting kayaking..)

Hopefully Quint's won't get leveled, the train station will get rehabed, and something good will come of the intermodal transit hub, giving that end of downtown some life. More of a park tied to it would be nice too.. (Throw in a stadium paid for by the team, and then we're really talking.

Sounds like WB got lots of funding for it as part of flood prevention which is fortunate--good funds always help. Great to see a good plan like this come out of it. Hope to make a visit down there one of these warm summer days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania