Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times

Advertisements

Freedom OF Religion means worship whomever you want, if you want to at all. Its secular in that believing in a god is not a requirement for citizenship. The founding fathers did not require anyone to be religious in any way, meaning that the country is secular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I challenge you to find the words "separation of church and state" in the constitution.
And I challenge you to find the word "God" in that same document.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM

79 posts, read 150,176 times
Quote:
I challenge you to find the words "separation of church and state" in the constitution.
Well, that's quite literal-minded, isn't it?

The "separation of church and state" is a legal principle embodied in the First Amendment; it's an interpretation of what the First Amendment means. I could say to you, "I challenge you find the words 'individual right to gun ownership' in the 2nd Amendment." You would not be able to find those words, yet that's how the conservative Roberts Court interpreted that amendment. I somehow find it difficult to believe you would disagree with that.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
And I challenge you to find the word "God" in that same document.
The Constitution says, in words just above George Washington's signature, that the proceedings were "done ... in the Year of our Lord..."

And He's mentioned throughout the Declaration of Independence.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

That's how the date was commonly written at the time, and was not used in a religious sense at all. Nice reach though. Now how about finding the word "God" in the U.S. Constitution, like I asked. Surely an easy task for such an important document written by such deeply religious men.

ETA: I found one use of the word God in the Declaration. Hardly "throughout" as you mentioned. What did I miss? "He", as you're reading it, would be King George III, by the way. Learned that in like third grade or something.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin' Scrannin' View Post
Well, that's quite literal-minded, isn't it?

The "separation of church and state" is a legal principle embodied in the First Amendment; it's an interpretation of what the First Amendment means. I could say to you, "I challenge you find the words 'individual right to gun ownership' in the 2nd Amendment." You would not be able to find those words, yet that's how the conservative Roberts Court interpreted that amendment. I somehow find it difficult to believe you would disagree with that.
You mean to say, "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and their own State, or the United States, or for the purpose of killing game; and no law shall be passed for disarming the people or any of them, unless for crimes committed, or real danger of public injury from individuals...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:

All that is prohibited is a state-run religion as in the Church of England.
Well, if the Christian faith prohibits gay marriage & the Christian religion then fights against government recognition of this, then isn't America then a "state-run religion"??

Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM

79 posts, read 150,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You mean to say, "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and their own State, or the United States, or for the purpose of killing game; and no law shall be passed for disarming the people or any of them, unless for crimes committed, or real danger of public injury from individuals...
That isn't the 2nd Amendment.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Well, if the Christian faith prohibits gay marriage & the Christian religion then fights against government recognition of this, then isn't America then a "state-run religion"??
So our laws are to have not even a hint of anything resembling Judeo-Christian beliefs? I guess we should get rid of laws against murder and robbery? Remember "thou shalt not steal" and "thou shalt not kill."

Well, I guess the government already breaks the laws against stealing on a daily basis...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post

ETA: I found one use of the word God in the Declaration. Hardly "throughout" as you mentioned. What did I miss? "He", as you're reading it, would be King George III, by the way. Learned that in like third grade or something.
"Creator" is another word used for God. "Endowed by our Creator...." And it's Creator with a capital C, referring to God.

Directly from the Declaration of Independence:

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania