Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 PM

65 posts, read 159,104 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to PA. We are currently in southern NJ. My family consists of me, my husband and 3 young kids. We prob wont make a move for another year or two but really want to plan it out. I am currently on unemployment and going to be doing job training thru the state and my husband is currently on disability due to a back injury. Our goal is to finish that all out and then save as much as possible to put down on a house. We are going to have to start fresh..new jobs, new house, etc. this recession has hit us hard. Unfort. i am still debating career training between surgical technicican and massage therapist (if anyone has any advice on that)

We are looking for a safe area, good schools...you know the norm. We of course would like a lower cost of living ..compared to where we are now. We do live in a great area, our family is close but we just cannot seem to make a life for ourselves here and afford a decent house.

We are looking in the range at a max of $150k..is this possible. (here that might get us a 2 bedroom condo!!) any suggestions would be great! thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
In Northeast Pa. I'd suggest West Pittston, Forty Fort, Kingston, parts of Wilkes-Barre (if you'd rather live in the city). If you want something more rural, check out Mountaintop, Bear Creek, Back Mountain ect.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
The one choice, Message Therapist, in my opinion will limit your job prospects to the more populated and prosperous regions of PA. If you look at a map of PA, and draw a semi-circle from Allentown to Reading to Harrisburg and to York, the area south and east of that boundary is your best bet. It's the more prosperous, populated and economically stable area of the state.

Surgical technician will probably get you in the door for more job prospects in smaller areas (and with the exception of 2 areas outside that boundary, everything else is small-town or just plain rural). If you moved there (outisde the boundary), and got the surgical certifications, you'd be effectively staking your future on employment at one or two possible employers. Hopsitals are one per every 30 miles, and many of the smaller ones refer more complicated procedures to the bigger hospitals.

Maybe someone else can add some town names to this.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
You should look in the valley....in the immediate Wilkes-Barre and Scranton areas. You won't find a decent house for under $150k in the Back Mountain, Mountaintop, or the Abingtons. If you want to stay near the cities but not in them, I'd suggest the Mid-Valley (Jessup, Archbald, Blakely, Peckville, Olyphant, Throop, Dickson City), or in the W-B area Kingston, Forty Fort, Swoyersville, West Pittston, Plains...avoid Edwardsville and Plymouth.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
The one choice, Message Therapist, in my opinion will limit your job prospects to the more populated and prosperous regions of PA. If you look at a map of PA, and draw a semi-circle from Allentown to Reading to Harrisburg and to York, the area south and east of that boundary is your best bet. It's the more prosperous, populated and economically stable area of the state.

Surgical technician will probably get you in the door for more job prospects in smaller areas (and with the exception of 2 areas outside that boundary, everything else is small-town or just plain rural). If you moved there (outisde the boundary), and got the surgical certifications, you'd be effectively staking your future on employment at one or two possible employers. Hopsitals are one per every 30 miles, and many of the smaller ones refer more complicated procedures to the bigger hospitals.

Maybe someone else can add some town names to this.
Here's your boundary: Maps // Blue Mountain - Kittatinny Ridge Conservation Project // Pennsylvania Audubon (http://pa.audubon.org/kittatinny/maps.html - broken link)

There's actually 3 good size urban areas in PA beyond the boundary: Pittsburgh, Erie, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. But sadly notwithstanding these I think it's true that the more economically stable/growing area is south/east of Kittatinny Ridge. (Which is especially unfortunate for me since as a small town boy I very much prefer the outer areas. )

Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Here's your boundary: Maps // Blue Mountain - Kittatinny Ridge Conservation Project // Pennsylvania Audubon (http://pa.audubon.org/kittatinny/maps.html - broken link)

There's actually 3 good size urban areas in PA beyond the boundary: Pittsburgh, Erie, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. But sadly notwithstanding these I think it's true that the more economically stable/growing area is south/east of Kittatinny Ridge. (Which is especially unfortunate for me since as a small town boy I very much prefer the outer areas. )
Good map, yes, that's it.

I was referring to Pittsburgh and the Wyoming Valley (Wilkes Barre and Scranton) as the two areas beyond the boundary. I've read that if you include Erie you'd want to include State College, because they are similar for this comparisons. And sometimes Erie includes itself with Buffalo and western NY for these comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
...But sadly notwithstanding these I think it's true that the more economically stable/growing area is south/east of Kittatinny Ridge. (Which is especially unfortunate for me since as a small town boy I very much prefer the outer areas. )
I'm surprised there's not more discussion on here on that very point. I also like those areas and also grew up there. But living in other states, and in the southeast, it's very clear that the jobs, and opportunities are to the south and east of that delineation.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
State College is only as big as Erie six days a year.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM

936 posts, read 2,397,650 times
If I was you I would check out the hospital websites in the area your planning to live. You can find out what jobs are more in demand. The job that always sticks in my mind is a Medical Technologist. I am not referring to a Medical assistant. A Medical Technologist works primarily in the lab doing testing. I know that its a ba degree. If you have college credits towards this it will take you less time. Its a great job and its something that I wish I had done. There are always ads for this. I am an xray tech and cannot find a job in NEPA. In Philly and other areas there is demand for an xray tech. Of course I didnt realize that I would be living in Pa. when I went to school, lol.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
I think that between Wilkes Barre and Scranton with the surrounding areas she should be ok. There are plenty of hospitals in those areas and a huge, huge, VA hospital in Wilkes.
Look on the outskirts of those towns for bargains. Taxes are lower in those town locations also.
You should be able to find a job in the medical fields and a home of a reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania