Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:52 AM

64 posts, read 251,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Boy, I sure am sorry that you had such a traumatic experience in the Jim Thorpe/Lehighton area. So bad, in fact, that you had to write (with bad grammar, I might add) in TWO different posts!

I happen to have grown up in that area, Nesquehoning to be exact. My father, who was a doctor, treated people from all over that area. I got to know many of them and, yes, they really do have teeth, they were extremely kind and respectful to my entire family, and are friendly and willing to help out when and where needed. Can you say the same of yourself?

I really take offense to how you have portrayed my hometown. Yes, I do admit that there's not a lot to do around there without getting in your car and driving - but that didn't seem to harm me at all; we made our own fun.
I never lived a lie about EVERYONE being friendly...there were those that were pretty darn sour. But Forest Drive, you seem to have found a place to live that happiness reigns supreme and no one is ever cross - correct?

I think not.

Just what happened there that has made you feel like the anti-Christ resides in Coal country?

But you can all think that these Towns are filled with Doctor's and Lawyers.....I think not....

The folks that travel and venture to other area know better.

Like I said the old and Wise know better.

Now my next stop is New England. Now that is beauty!!!!!yes that area of Pa has beauty in it also, however the folks have none..

Thank you all......

Enjoy your summer. I hope the rain stops... because before you know it... you will all be in your homes trapped by all the snow... Saying.... where is the sunshine????

Winter begins very early.....and also lingers for a very long time.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 28,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest drive View Post
But you can all think that these Towns are filled with Doctor's and Lawyers.....I think not....

Now my next stop is New England. Now that is beauty!!!!!yes that area of Pa has beauty in it also, however the folks have none..

Thank you all......

Enjoy your summer. I hope the rain stops... because before you know it... you will all be in your homes trapped by all the snow... Saying.... where is the sunshine????

Hmm....Let's see, last year, we did not get a significant snow storm until Valentine's day, then another one around St. Patty's day, then pretty much got warm the mid of April and it has been a great year weather wise so far in 2007.

Your generalizations leave a lot to be desired and with your attitude, I am glad you are no longer a Pennsylvanian...one less rude person to deal with.

Thanks and have fun in NE England, I have heard their Winters are a bit longer than ours (of course, that was before I dropped out of HS and lost 31 teeth ) with a bit more snowfall , but maybe I am the one that is wrong. We dunt no stuff 'round deez parts. :-P

Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest drive View Post

Thank you all......

Nowhere in my post did I mention that the region is overrun with doctors and lawyers; actually, it's quite the opposite. Factory workers are definitely the majority there. Many of my friends' parents worked long and hard at those jobs, and never were angry or bitter about their lot in life. We all lived side by side, with no animosity. As for "beauty," well, I guess we all have our definitions of it. Yours seems a bit loftier than me...

I "ventured" out of the area and experienced both good and bad in PA. The Commonwealth is certainly not perfect. But if you despite it, which is the impression by what you write, then by all means leave. Heaven forbid that we in PA should fill your heart and soul with such angst!

As for the weather, we in PA are very well aware of the change in the seasons; that's why I stay and many people come here to live. What, does precipitation make you melt?

You never mentioned why you detest the Commonwealth...yet you are still living here. Things that make me go "hmmmm....."

P.S. Older doesn't necessarily make one wiser...

Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 31,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well, I'm just reading reply after reply after reply from very negative people in several threads who have done nothing but slam Northeastern Pennsylvania, more specifically the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro. After seeing Scranton being referred to as an "armpit," I just felt I needed to say something. Sure, our area has its fair share of faults, but where else can you be within a two-hour commute to a six-figure career in Manhattan or Philly and come home to tree-lined streets, friendly neighbors, great schools, and beautiful mountain scenery for housing prices of only $120,000, on average? I'll likely be among the growing number of NEPA-NYC commuters myself after college, and to me this area is the best of both worlds---convenience to "The City That Never Sleeps" to further my career while still being able to come home to a "sleepy" town.
You have a great attitude .... don't lose it when your an old fart like me
Love your photo tours as well

Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
Like? I actually love living in NEPA - especially Wilkes-Barre.
Check out -> Wilkes-Barre Preservation Society
Also -> Home Click on the SesquiCentennial banner.

I find so much to do and wonderful events year round. Love to show out of town people - The Tubs, Huber Breaker, Forty Fort Meeting House, the Black Diamond bridge and the view from Prospect Rock - there's nothing like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania