Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
My buddy and I had to land the cessna 210 we were flying back to scranton in the airport in Stuart due to hydraulic problems I liked that area. I have a friend there with a yacht brokerage company called Rolling Stone Yachts, delivered a couple boats for him to the bahamas as well, thats a nice area George your definitely lucky. I'm just a sea dog trapped inland I guess but this is home and my family likes me home not away for months at a time on boats. Like I said before life does not always turn out exactly like you would want, you have to live for your responsiblities not the fun sometimes. Run out a get me some wahoo and ship it would ya.......HMMMMMMMMM love those fish
Yes Daniel I am very blessed in life, but there IS such a thing as living your life for responsibilities AND fun! My dad was buried on my 18th birthday & left my mom & I with no income & lots of bills. I went off into management straightaway & have taken care of my mom since. (no brothers or sisters). I just turned 50 & am NOW starting my own life! BUT I managed to have some fun in between all the responsibility.

Stuart is DEFINITELY one of the nicest areas in Florida!! I looked up Rolling Stone Yachts in the phone book & there's no listing, so I don't know if your friend's still here...

I'm a vegetarian so I can't say either way on wahoo...there is a market off the island where the fishermen bring in their morning catch & you can't get it any fresher!!!

I think I'm hearing part of your frustration with Scranton coming out in the fact you're a "fish out of water" (pardon the pun) by the word "trapped". If that's the case, it might be a good idea for you to reassess where you are in life. Landscaping's a BIG thing down here... I've got a condo on the market here CHEAP too!!!

Anyways I wish you all the luck in solving Scranton's problems & MORE importantly, taking care of yourself & your family!!
Have a great weekend!!
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
Ummmm.....George, how cheap is this condo? Details?

One thing I think needs to be remembered with all this 'citified talk'.....SWB is younger than most of us. (Assumption? Yes.) That isn't a bad thing at all. From the time I started reading here a couple of months ago, I was extremely impressed with his intelligence, ability to communicate his observations, and talents. This kid is off the charts!! He reperesents the best of both youth and aged wisdom. I tend to be one of those laid back PAites. Still, I wanted to meet this guy in person. I did. Poor kid...hunted him down at work.

I strongly believe that we can teach most things. One thing we can't teach is passion. Certainly some of his passion comes with youth. We all tend to lose some of that when life gives us a kick or two. The older we are, the more kicks we have experienced. It's not about how many times we are kicked but *how* we get back up. Over and over. Positive, passionate people rise faster and more consistently.

Paul, (sorry to 'talk' as if you aren't listening) you will always get back up. You are one of those people. Yes. You will probably get knocked down more that others. You will learn tolerance and build personal strength. You will change your mind about many things as your life progresses. You will learn to be adaptable, and it's a wonderful survival skill. Let your sense of humor be your crutch. Always hang on to that humor. It will save your sanity.

I admire your passion. It makes me remember how I felt at your age. Maybe, if I read more of your posts, I can find some of it again.

Last edited by rockky; 05-04-2007 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-04-2007, 11:36 AM

142 posts, read 537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Whiticar is in a waterfront subdivision called Mariner Cay & is not far from me. In fact, if I could drive over water it'd be about a mile away! Since we have to drive around all the waterways it's actually about 4 miles away!

Do you know someone that lives there? My cousins have a waterfront home in there on Centerboard Lane.
I was looking at property (online) in that area and spotted a picture of a female realtor that works for Century 21 that used to live up the street from me in Clifton, NJ. I Googled the name and found she lives in Stuart at 4349 SE Whiticar. We went to the same grade and high school. Small world on the internet!

Mariner Cay looks like a nice area to purchase a second home! The problem may be in the purchasing of home insurance. I heard many insurance companies do not want to write policies after they took a beating a few years back and that premiums have tripled.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Ummmm.....George, how cheap is this condo? Details?

One think I think needs to be remembered with all this 'citified talk'.....SWB is younger than most of us. (Assumption? Yes.) That isn't a bad thing at all. From the time I started reading here a couple of months ago, I was extremely impressed with his intelligence, ability to communicate his observations, and talents. This kid is off the charts!! He reperesents the best of both youth and aged wisdom. I tend to be one of those laid back PAites. Still, I wanted to meet this guy in person. I did. Poor kid...hunted him down at work.

I strongly believe that we can teach most things. One thing we can't teach is passion. Certainly some of his passion comes with youth. We all tend to lose some of that when life gives us a kick or two. The older we are, the more kicks we have experienced. It's not about how many times we are kicked but *how* we get back up. Over and over. Positive, passionate people rise faster and more consistently.

Paul, (sorry to 'talk' as if you aren't listening) you will always get back up. You are one of those people. Yes. You will probably get knocked down more that others. You will learn tolerance and build personal strength. You will change your mind about many things as your life progresses. You will learn to be adaptable, and it's a wonderful survival skill. Let your sense of humor be your crutch. Always hang on to that humor. It will save your sanity.

I admire your passion. It makes me remember how I felt at your age. Maybe, if I read more of your posts, I can find some of it again.

Well the condo is in a 55+ community ( it was my aunt's & she left it to me when she passed on). If you want info I can Private Message you...I don't want to clog threads & I think it's not kosher to transact selling info on forums unless they're specifically for that purpose.

As to Paul, I think he's quite mature for his age & his enthusiasm is infectious!! He's going to go a long way if (as you say) he can keep his sense of humor & keep a balance in his life. (sorry Paul, I also don't mean to sound like I'm talking behind your back! You're definitely going in the right direction!)

Now as to sanity....I've learned that's percieved!!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
Yeah, George. Sanity is a perception...individual to each of us. Normal is a setting on my washing machine, and I can still screw that up.

Gonna PM you now.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
I was looking at property (online) in that area and spotted a picture of a female realtor that works for Century 21 that used to live up the street from me in Clifton, NJ. I Googled the name and found she lives in Stuart at 4349 SE Whiticar. We went to the same grade and high school. Small world on the internet!

Mariner Cay looks like a nice area to purchase a second home! The problem may be in the purchasing of home insurance. I heard many insurance companies do not want to write policies after they took a beating a few years back and that premiums have tripled.

Most definitely a small world!!! Always fun when Serendipity steps in!!

Mariner Cay is a bit pricey but nice. As to insurance, yes the industry took a hit with the 3 major ones we got direct-hit with, but the dust has settled & now more companies are writing policies due to state backing. In fact I'm changing insurance companies next Friday & my rate is down $1000.00 & that's now including flood insurance which I don't need, but rather safe (my friends in NY got flooded 3 weeks ago & they NEVER had any water problems in that house for 70+ years...it was her grandmother's) than sorry!

If you have any questions about the area, feel free to Private Message me...maybe I could help.
Have a great weekend!!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 55,174 times
I'm a little late for this party here, but I'm still pro-NEPA, even though I reserve the right like many of us here to criticize our home town from time to time. Even if I ever were to move away, (I do prefer a warmer climate which is one thing about a place that no one can change) I still would call this place home since my roots are here.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJinPA View Post
I'm a little late for this party here, but I'm still pro-NEPA, even though I reserve the right like many of us here to criticize our home town from time to time. Even if I ever were to move away, (I do prefer a warmer climate which is one thing about a place that no one can change) I still would call this place home since my roots are here.
Not to late to join in LJ. Many of us agree with you. You can be happy anywhere. You can be happier in other places, too, but geography alone won't completely change anyone's attitude. I've learned this first hand. I'm very happy... while living in a city that is among my least favorites. We choose where we are, but I do know what you mean. Left W-B 35-yrs ago, but it's still my answer to "Where are you from?"

Can't wait to return this year... VV

Old 05-11-2007, 08:50 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I haven't read any of Ruiz's books, but will definitely check them out when I get back into reading! After caregiving for my mom I have to re-learn how to relax & re-learn what having fun is...

Positive energy is the ultimate! That's why I can't deal long with such negative people as always dwell on the bad & put forth such. It just snowballs & drags them down more along with everyone around them. If there's a problem to fix...find a way to fix it or move on before it drowns you!!

I must confess ...the place I live is called Rocky Point & is an island mainly during our rainy season (due to Manatee Pocket Creek on the south side). During the dry season we change to a peninsula also! (and now we're in the middle of a severe drought so peninsula it is for now!)

The moon was magnificent here too!! The neighbors don't like it when I run through the streets howling though...

As I said, you're welcome anytime but yes, DO pack sunscreen!!

Have a great weekend!!
George
I agree...nice neighborhood George!
Just moved back up to PA over the weekend. Have some drama now, and it looks like, we are moving back down to either FL or NC (That all depends on my husband!!! )
Well, in the meantime I am enjoying my life here in Hazelton, between the murders, muggers and shootings wehich all just happened in the past 2 weeks....GREAT!!!!
It always seems like, where ever I go, ALL HELL BREAKS LOSE!!!!! I've been saying that now on this board for the longest time...
That's it...I am going to the Woodlands now for some "pick me up" (my mood that is...lol)

Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I agree...nice neighborhood George!
Just moved back up to PA over the weekend. Have some drama now, and it looks like, we are moving back down to either FL or NC (That all depends on my husband!!! )
Well, in the meantime I am enjoying my life here in Hazelton, between the murders, muggers and shootings wehich all just happened in the past 2 weeks....GREAT!!!!
It always seems like, where ever I go, ALL HELL BREAKS LOSE!!!!! I've been saying that now on this board for the longest time...
That's it...I am going to the Woodlands now for some "pick me up" (my mood that is...lol)
Unfortunately, moving to Hazleton at this point was like moving to Baghdad! For a city of 24,000 or so residents, the crime rate has gotten out of control; it seems like there's some sort of violent shooting or stabbing every week! The surrounding communities are nicer though; Butler Township (Drums) is the fastest-growing municipality in the county, and the Sugarloaf/Conyngham area is also quite nice.

I'm sorry to hear that you're moving out of the area again after such a short tenure here; Hazleton just wasn't exactly the best idea for relocation with the crime/illegal immgration issues right now. Best of luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania