Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 47,166 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what they are doing in the old Southside bank building at the corner of South Main and Ross Streets(across from the Post Office). I went by there a few days ago and I saw lights on inside and a few weeks ago I saw people appling stucco to the back of the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
I think it is gonna be college apartments on the top floors and a restaraunt/bar on the ground floor. They started that project years ago, then it stalled out, and now it looks like they are back to work fixing it up again. I believe the bar was to be named "The Wilkes-Bar". I don't know if the plans have changed, but that was the original plan. Whatever they do there, it'll be much better then what used to be there. That corner used to be hooker/drug dealer central a few years ago. I'll take a college bar and apartments any day over that.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM

331 posts, read 639,732 times
Drug dealers and hookers vs drug users and promiscuous coeds. Haha

Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 47,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I think it is gonna be college apartments on the top floors and a restaraunt/bar on the ground floor. They started that project years ago, then it stalled out, and now it looks like they are back to work fixing it up again. I believe the bar was to be named "The Wilkes-Bar". I don't know if the plans have changed, but that was the original plan. Whatever they do there, it'll be much better then what used to be there. That corner used to be hooker/drug dealer central a few years ago. I'll take a college bar and apartments any day over that.
Hooker/Drug dealer-that describes pretty much all of South Main Street past Northampton Street.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B My Kind of Town View Post
Hooker/Drug dealer-that describes pretty much all of South Main Street past Northampton Street.
Believe me, South Main street is ten thousand times better then it used to be. I used to drive night shift taxi in Wilkes-Barre, and from midnight on there would be open prostitution and drug dealing, and shady looking people all up and down South Main street. It was just just crawling with bad people. The only traffic at night would be john's, and junkies driving around. It was scary, and normal people avioded it like the plague, and for good reason. The police have been doing an outstanding job patroling S. Main st and downtown in general, ever since the construction of the movie theater, and University Corners. The difference is night and day. I see none of the drug dealers, and hookers now. I don't know if they went a few blocks over or what, but I see alot more college kids, and security guards at night now, compared to the homeless, junkie's, dealers, hookers, john's, and mental people that used to rule South main street after dark.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM

It looks like "Gage" restaraunt/bar on North Main st by Kings is opened, or is opening shortly. The Gateway Project is nearly complete at North and North main sts., and the Intermodal Transportation Center is also nearing completion. Bottleneck's pub is also going to be opening a location in downtown W-B in the near future. The downtown has seen alot of progress and new buisnesses open up in the last year. It's all good news for the city. I hope it all continues.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Me too WBP! Do you live near downtown? We do and I have to say I think we picked a very good time to move there....

Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
It looks like "Gage" restaraunt/bar on North Main st by Kings is opened, or is opening shortly. The Gateway Project is nearly complete at North and North main sts., and the Intermodal Transportation Center is also nearing completion. Bottleneck's pub is also going to be opening a location in downtown W-B in the near future. The downtown has seen alot of progress and new buisnesses open up in the last year. It's all good news for the city. I hope it all continues.
Unfortunately, it seems NEPA's idea of "progress" and "revitalization" is opening more bars. Aren't there enough bars in this area already? Wilkes-Barre is doing the same thing Scranton did....open more bars and then brag about all the "progress." We see how that's playing out in Scranton...a couple of years from now, you will see the same thing happen in W-B.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Believe me, South Main street is ten thousand times better then it used to be. I used to drive night shift taxi in Wilkes-Barre, and from midnight on there would be open prostitution and drug dealing, and shady looking people all up and down South Main street. It was just just crawling with bad people. The only traffic at night would be john's, and junkies driving around. It was scary, and normal people avioded it like the plague, and for good reason. The police have been doing an outstanding job patroling S. Main st and downtown in general, ever since the construction of the movie theater, and University Corners. The difference is night and day. I see none of the drug dealers, and hookers now. I don't know if they went a few blocks over or what, but I see alot more college kids, and security guards at night now, compared to the homeless, junkie's, dealers, hookers, john's, and mental people that used to rule South main street after dark.
I still see a lot of shady people hanging around Carmen's and the pawn shop on South Main during daylight hours.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Unfortunately, it seems NEPA's idea of "progress" and "revitalization" is opening more bars. Aren't there enough bars in this area already? Wilkes-Barre is doing the same thing Scranton did....open more bars and then brag about all the "progress." We see how that's playing out in Scranton...a couple of years from now, you will see the same thing happen in W-B.
I disagree. We have a lot more opening here than just bars. We also have a beautiful new riverfront tying the whole downtown together. Hopefully something will be done with Masonic temple.

And honestly? We don't have that many bars in the downtown area...at least not any more than any other city our size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania