Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times

Advertisements

Yes, they did.

Why did the family decide to take the money and not put up a fight? It was the Kennedey's for God's sake. What could they possibly achieve by going up against that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I understood completely what you were saying, others didn't.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree. The thread is losing it's intelligence, that's why I left.

First break down in communication is attacking others' intelligence.....

Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
maybe they thought it was just a terrible accident and chose to forgive rather than fight. maybe they didn;t want their daughter's name dragged through the mud as part of the process. Remember she was having an affair and people can be cruel. there is nothing wrong with what i said.

I agree. Plus this was 1968. Affairs and sex before marriage was still horrifically looked down upon. I can see old school parents (as the Kopechnes were) accepting a payout to keep quiet and keep their daughter's rep intact.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,010,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
And remember no cell phones back then so he would have had to leave to get help.
I don't think anyone would have faulted him at ALL if he had left the scene of the accident to FIND A FREAKING PHONE AND CALL FOR HELP, not go back to his hotel room.

He wasn't in politics because he CARED about anyone but himself...he was a narcissist (as demonstrated by his behavior w/ Mary Jo - he was concerned for himself, not her as she lay in the bottom of the lake.) He cared about the POWER and the PRESTIGE.

If the majority of his voting public in MA were pro-life, ultra conservative, republicans, I guarantee he'd have been singing a different tune about abortion and spending...etc.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
He wasn't in politics because he CARED about anyone but himself...he was a narcissist (as demonstrated by his behavior w/ Mary Jo - he was concerned for himself, not her as she lay in the bottom of the lake.) He cared about the POWER and the PRESTIGE.
I think up until Bobby died - yes, you are right. But many of his colleagues, acquaintances, etc detected a huge change in TK's demeanor after Bobby's death. I have read that he was like a man possessed.

I don't know. I tend to believe that a rich man doesn't need to be in the Senate. A rich man doesn't need that to have power and prestige - already has it. IMO, he was atoning for MJK, RFK and JFK's deaths and carrying on his brothers' legacies via his legislation and public service.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
If the majority of his voting public in MA were pro-life, ultra conservative, republicans, I guarantee he'd have been singing a different tune about abortion and spending...etc.

Sorry but I will have to disagree again. He came from a Liberal Irish family...Catholic, but alot of Catholics are Liberal believe it or not. I think it was in his blood to be Liberal from the beginning.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,010,570 times
We can agree to disagree. I have a much different opinion on politicians than you.

I've watched politicians who are staunchly one way or another switch to the "other side" when it was advantageous to do so. The majority of people in MA are liberal just like the Kennedy's. If they were in a different location, such as the deep south, I maintain that they would have a different stand.

Like Al Gore - when he was a senator in Tennessee he was an ardent supporter of the pro life cause. Until...it became more convenient for him to become pro-choice.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
To point out the hypocrisy of the Ted Kennedy fans here, I would be willing to bet that if George W. Bush got drunk drove off a bridge and saved himself while leaving a woman to die in the car and didn't notify anyone until the next day when he sobered up...you people would be slamming him and calling for his head.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Sorry but I will have to disagree again. He came from a Liberal Irish family...Catholic, but alot of Catholics are Liberal believe it or not. I think it was in his blood to be Liberal from the beginning.
True Catholics cannot be liberals, well social liberals anyways. It can be argued that Catholicism is compatible with fiscal liberalism, helping the poor, etc...but social liberalism as in pro-abortion, gay marriage, sexual promiscuity..no way. The "Catholics" that are OK with those things are Catholics in name only...they were born into the Church but don't really follow its teachings.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 PM

947 posts, read 1,644,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
True Catholics cannot be liberals, well social liberals anyways. It can be argued that Catholicism is compatible with fiscal liberalism, helping the poor, etc...but social liberalism as in pro-abortion, gay marriage, sexual promiscuity..no way. The "Catholics" that are OK with those things are Catholics in name only...they were born into the Church but don't really follow its teachings.
Says who? The Catholic Church can't even make up it's mind. On one hand it says follow the teachings of Jesus (he who is without sin cast the first stone, Do unto others...) and on the other hand is all hellfire and brimstone. They condemn gays, etc and yet protect pedifiles. Then they have ordained priests who are considered religious scholars by the church who claim the following: Mary was not stoned for being pregant out of wedlock because sex before marriage was considered to be okay as long as you were betrothed, Sodom was not destroyed because of homosexuality but because the Sodomites were not neighborly, and so on.

Jesus passed judgement on no one. If you recall the first to enter into heaven with him were criminals, Mary Magdeline was a prostitute. So again bringing it back to topic, if you are without any sin then go ahead cast the first stone at Edward Kennedy and the Kopechne family, if not then let them rest in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania