Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM

70 posts, read 123,154 times

Advertisements

Ok, since I'm moving to the Pocono's I have a question. I have heard so many different things so I would like to hear from people on here that may have experienced it. If your taking a walk and a bear approaches you, what do you do. Do you make noise? Do you stay quiet? Do you run?

Another question? Are there many snakes there? If so what kind? Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Don't run! Running will actually incite the bear to give chase.The odds of a bear actually approaching you are slim unless they feel you've endangered their young. A bear's nose is stronger than a deer's so they know if a human is around. Another thing, don't leave food out whether purposely or not! Since they do have a strong nose, they will come in and eat. A good way to tell if a bear is getting pissed is if it locks eyes with you. A few years back I was hunting and while walking through the woods I noticed a bear only 15 yards away. After watching the bear for about a minute it locked it's eyes on me, then I noticed the cub climbing down a tree nearby, once I saw the cub I left, but didn't run, just walked away without incident. One summer my mom was in her back on the swing reading a book and bear walked within ten feet of her and just kept walking. As I stated earlier bears are very protective of their young. If you see a cub the mother is close, this when they can be dangerous. Sometimes though, as in my case the cub is up a tree and not visible. While there are certain things you should and shouldn't do, you don't have to live in fear of bears. If you have any more questions just ask me.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Thank you. So your saying just keep walking then like you don't see him?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Recently a bear walked across the road in front of me. i stoppedl kept the windows closed and off he went. He did give me a good look, but just kept going then.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 AM

202 posts, read 568,167 times
Default heres on in our garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncRSHn2NRkI

Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Awwww, that was adorable.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
They never really bothered us. If they got frightened they would run off. I didn't bump into any with cubs though. They meander around.......There were plenty in Penn Estates. No one ever got hurt.
All of us were out walking.......Sometimes someone would say to not walk up "that way" because a bear was there.
Snakes, I have seen very few. Maybe two in fourteen years...........I saw more bears then snakes

Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Ok, I think I'll stop worrying about the bears. LOL. I just watched a show on Grizzly bears but, that is another story.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM

307 posts, read 768,833 times
I wouldnt worry about the bears or snakes. I wish I knew how to post pics because I have some really cute pics of a mama bear and her three cubs. She kept her eyes on me but the only time she got worried and stood up was when one of her cubs got closer to me than she was. And she didnt look like she was going to attack she just stood up and looked at me. The cub then ran back by mom.
Snakes are around but a rattler will give warning and all you really need to do is keep your eyes open, especially when you are down by a river, or when you are walking in the woods. If you see a snake on the road dont approach it. I love living up here with all the wildlife.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM

I can't wait. I'm just trying to prepare. I guess, just common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania