Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times

Advertisements

The Virginia State Senate recently approved a bill that would require elementary and middle schools to offer at least 150 minutes of physical education a week in order to "combat childhood obesity".

What do you think of this proposed mandate and what kind of change would it mean for your child's school? Would recess count? Would music or art programs have to be cut back? I've heard that superintendents and school boards are strongly opposed...

Virginia Senate approves House version of public school phys-ed mandate bill - WTKR (http://www.wtkr.com/news/sns-ap-va--xgr-physicaleducation,0,4882193.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
So basically, 30 minutes of the school day will involve the children doing more than just sitting down and vegetating? Sounds like a good thing to me.

In my elementary school, we had a 45 minute PE class every single day. In middle and high school, it was a 90 minute class that was every-other-day. It didn't affect music programs at all. Schools should have PE classes because it gets the students up and moving - and not just sitting in an uncomfortable desk while they zone out to a lecture.

Physical activity is good not just to "combat obesity", but it also raises energy levels and awareness.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
Heck when I was a kid there was no problem appropriating time for both phys ed and art and music, but of course we didn't have the internet or Wii or PSP or texting or cellphones to take up a lot our time either

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
I don't think it will be that big a deal in middle school, where PE is a mandatory class that kids attend daily. In elementary school, I think it will have a bigger impact--especially if the school doesn't have a dedicated PE teacher, because then the classroom teacher is responsible for coming up with activities.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
Hmm, my kids aren't in elementary and middle school so I didn't realize they were getting less than 30 min a day.

Sounds good to me. If the school system needs to hire a PE Teacher then they should scrape up the funds somewhere without losing the music, art, shop, etc. classes. When we were growing up, I remember having PE longer than 30 minutes a day as well as after-school intramural sports activities.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Hmm, my kids aren't in elementary and middle school so I didn't realize they were getting less than 30 min a day.

Sounds good to me. If the school system needs to hire a PE Teacher then they should scrape up the funds somewhere without losing the music, art, shop, etc. classes. When we were growing up, I remember having PE longer than 30 minutes a day as well as after-school intramural sports activities.
You were quite lucky. My elementary school had a PE teacher until I got to 2nd grade. We had 30 minute PE classes 2x per week with the special teacher. In 3rd grade, the budget for that was cut (somewhere circa 1995). Individual teachers could plan games or activities outside, but it was up to them. (And I never had art or music in elementary school).

Once I got to junior high, PE was a mandatory class, so everyone had it an hour a day. Art, music, and shop were electives. There was nothing after school.

From studying various school systems across the country as I work towards my teaching licensure, it's become obvious to me that NoVA schools are absolutely not the norm when it comes to specials. They go far above and beyond what the average school offers/requires regarding elective type classes in elementary school.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM

31 posts, read 64,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

Physical activity is good not just to "combat obesity", but it also raises energy levels and awareness.
And as an elementary teacher I must add that allowing them to run around outside/inside and burn off stress, etc, makes for much quieter, more attentive students.

And parents will also appreciate calmer, quieter, more tired children.

But yes, you're right about the physical connection to learning. I think the new law is a great thing! At least in theory, and at least for now. Let's see how it plays out...

As for combating obesity, is there a way to make their parents take 150 mins of PE?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,796 times
From what I remember in elementary school, we had PE three times a week and music class twice a week. And of course, there was recess, but the general rule regardless of grade seemed to be that if you were behind on your homework, you couldn't participate, and had to sit on the benches catching up while the other kids got to play.

I should know, I sat pretty frequently because of this rule. Stupid homework.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
To the general public this might sound great, but I don't know from where this time will be carved out. My third graders currently receive 70 minutes of p.e. a week plus 80 min. of recess (20 min. T-F). They have music 70 min. a week. Art is 60 min.
150 min. of required p.e. will mean structured activity, I'm sure. Do we then take away the unstructured recess time to help get in reading, writing, math, science and social studies? I already have difficulty getting in all of the academic curriculum that is required.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
I don't think anyone will disagree that physical activity will combat obesity. By the way, my kids' school has no obesity problem whatsoever. The problem is, for those of us who actually do have kids attending public schools in Virginia, that a couple of courses will need to be taken away because their schedules are already packed with a lot of very valid activities, such as foreign language instruction. Kids have gym 3x a week already and almost 100 percent of the students are involved in some kind of afterschool sport anyway -- so it seems redundant.

This is the nanny state at its finest, in my opinion, and another example of government trying to solve a problem that doesn't apply to an entire populace .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia