Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,616,376 times

Advertisements

What does it feel like? It feels like walking into a closed bathroom after someone has taken a very long, very hot shower. The good news is that your skin always looks hydrated and glowing.

Dress in woven cottons and linens, lightweight teeshirt tops, skirts that let some air circulate (forget jeans in the summer here) and carry a pashmina in your bag for A/C shock when you go indoors and get the ice-house blast temp differential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,286,139 times
Just don't dress like 90% of the locals. People around here have horrible taste in casual clothing.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 AM

605 posts, read 2,161,980 times
For girls and women, skirts are the most comfortable things to wear. Also, if the temps sail into the mid and upper 90s, it's actually cooler feeling to keep your skin covered while in the sun. A loose white button-up shirt is great for that.

Watch out for all of the poly blends in women's clothing. Those shiny dresses and cami tops will feel like they are returning to their original plastic state right on your skin. They also won't smell so fresh at the end of the day.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,316,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Dress in woven cottons and linens, lightweight teeshirt tops, skirts that let some air circulate (forget jeans in the summer here) and carry a pashmina in your bag for A/C shock when you go indoors and get the ice-house blast temp differential.
This is spot-on. I always have a very lightweight cardigan with me for restaurants and movie theaters. I don't wear shorts out in public, and I'm not big fan of skirts either, so I live in capris.

If you do go for skirts, Monistat's anti-chafing powder-gel is a miracle product. I'm big, so I always have some on hand in the summer.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,893,036 times
This thread honestly surprises me. I didn't know people considered Northern Virginia "hot and humid". We've lived up here on and off for about twelve years. I don't ever remember a hot summer. I guess it's all in what you are used to. Mississippi summers are hot. Alabama summers are hot. Florida summers can be brutal. But Northern Virginia summers are moderate in my opinion. Unless it gets above 100 degrees and stays there for days and days like it does in the deep south, it's just not that hot.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
This thread honestly surprises me. I didn't know people considered Northern Virginia "hot and humid". We've lived up here on and off for about twelve years. I don't ever remember a hot summer. I guess it's all in what you are used to. Mississippi summers are hot. Alabama summers are hot. Florida summers can be brutal. But Northern Virginia summers are moderate in my opinion. Unless it gets above 100 degrees and stays there for days and days like it does in the deep south, it's just not that hot.
It's all relative. I come from an area where "hot" is 80 degrees, and "cold" is below 60. All year is mid 60's to mid 70's. Coming here is extreme highs and lows to me.

(On the other hand, I laugh when people say housing prices are expensive here, 'cause it's waaaaaay cheaper than where I'm from!!! Relativity )

DC was built in a swampy area. The humidity is the worst in the mid atlantic, and I don't think people expect it when they come here.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,115,788 times
One great thing about living here is people care more about being comfortable than being stylish. So you can wear capri pants or shorts or whatever is comfortable to you.

Loose clothing is better than tight, and clothing that covers you a little bit will be more comfortable than too much exposed skin. Natural fabrics feel better than polyester. Wear light colors, not dark colors. If you're going to be outside in the afternoon, keep a spare t-shirt in a convenient place so you can change into it. You won't always want it, but it's good to have.

Try to do outdoor activities early in the morning or at night.

After you move here, check out your local ethnic markets. I found the most wonderful pair of cotton pants at an Indian Bazaar. People from India and Pakistan have much hotter and muggier weather than we do, so they know how to dress for it.

The first year is the worst. After that you begin to acclimate a little. Or, you learn to love air conditioning.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,958,060 times
Shorts and T-shirts. It's horrible in July.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,286,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Shorts and T-shirts. It's horrible in July.
Maybe around the house but certainly not out and about. T-shirts look sloppy.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,349,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Maybe around the house but certainly not out and about. T-shirts look sloppy.

What? Why? What's wrong with T-shirts? Collared shirts all the time??? That's crazy talk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia