Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to McLean about 3 years ago and love the area (I'm generally more of a "suburban" guy myself anyway, lol), but as a 31 year old single guy, there are really not a lot of people my own age here to try to meet to get to know better. I know from faithfully reading C-D that most people in their late-20s or early 30s tend to be in places like Ballston / Clarendon / Rosslyn, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to try to meet new people in somewhere near Arlington, if you live in suburbia? For example, other than bars, are there are any specific places you would recommend visiting to try to meet new people, around the Arlington area? (Particularly if you're going out alone / solo, since I really don't have any local friends here in NOVA that I could go out with...my closest friend lives in Philly?)

Also: how do you get people from Arlington, etc., to come visit you in McLean, when you meet people? I have a younger sibling who's in the same situation as me, but when she tried to get her local same-age friends in Arlington to come visit her in McLean, it was like pulling teeth to get them to actually come to her?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
It's exactly the same advice that we gave you in the other thread. Join a club, or a meet-up group, or a volunteer group. Pick a group that advertises it draws members from a wide area. Or, pick a group that meets halfway between McLean and Arlington. I belong to a meetup group that regularly does activities in a number of different areas, I'm sure you can find one that has activities in both McLean and Arlington.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Many thanks for the advice Caladium!

I remember the earlier advice provided, which was also very helpful. I guess in this thread I may have been thinking more in terms of "smaller" groups than might typically be found on a site like meetup.com (I may admittedly be wrong, but I had kinda always pictured those groups as significantly larger?) The reason I mention just b/c I have always been much more comfortable socially in "smaller" groups.

Thx again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's exactly the same advice that we gave you in the other thread. Join a club, or a meet-up group, or a volunteer group. Pick a group that advertises it draws members from a wide area. Or, pick a group that meets halfway between McLean and Arlington. I belong to a meetup group that regularly does activities in a number of different areas, I'm sure you can find one that has activities in both McLean and Arlington.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
Forget about bars and buy a bike, then join Potomac Pedalers. About PPTC | Potomac Pedalers Touring Club (http://www.bikepptc.org/About_page - broken link)

They have lots of scheduled rides for all levels of riders that tend to attract many people in your age group. Many of the rides begin closer to McLean than to Arlington, so it is also a way to lure the Ballston corridor folks out to your neck of the woods.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks claremarie! That sounds like an excellent idea I think I'll also recommend it to my sibling, since she is an avid bike fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Forget about bars and buy a bike, then join Potomac Pedalers. About PPTC | Potomac Pedalers Touring Club (http://www.bikepptc.org/About_page - broken link)

They have lots of scheduled rides for all levels of riders that tend to attract many people in your age group. Many of the rides begin closer to McLean than to Arlington, so it is also a way to lure the Ballston corridor folks out to your neck of the woods.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Simple: go hang out to Arlington ...using the social options already suggested as a base. Since Arlington and McLean are next door to each other, it isn't (or shouldn't) be too much of a stretch for people to visit you in kind unless they are devoted to - or dependent on - the Orange Line Metro and its urbanish amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia