Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ideas do you like for improving downtown Leesburg?
a crosswalk for the middle of South King Street between Market and Loudoun streets 1 8.33%
tree boxes and planters along the road side. 1 8.33%
beautifying the triangle in front of Mom’s Apple Pie 2 16.67%
improving the alley between the town parking garage and King Street 1 8.33%
widen sidewalks to make room for dining along the street 6 50.00%
Other. Please share your ideas below! 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM

184 posts, read 311,687 times

Advertisements

Lots of good ideas in this thread. Hope some of them made it to the meeting and voiced their ideas.
I am fairly new to the area but have worked in the area for many years before coming back. This is one of the reasons why I love Leesburg, it has its own identity. It is pushed together like the Arlingtons, Falls churches, Fairfaxes, etc etc. It is seperate from the conglomerate of strip malls and such like along Rt 50 and 29 in Fairfax and Arlington counties. I hope they tend to keep it that way. There is such a nice history about the town and has that nice historical edge to it. Granted sure we could use some more cafe's, non chain retail stores, offices downtown. With the current economy things are tough but as one store leaves another ones comes in and tries to make it.
As for ideas to bring tourism in, they need to focus on the wineries in LoCo. We have an abundant of wineries, we have the world famous Appalachian Trail nearby, make use of the Potomac Rvr near Point of Rocks for rafting or kayaking but use Leesburg as the central point for these activities. A nice hotel/Conference center would be ideal as well but where do you put it downtown? I dont want a disney World but something else needs to be done for the town to bring in more people. Maybe use Ida Lee park more for events, add a band shell type of theater for concerts on the weekend or at the county courthouse. something along N King St needs to be added to so it will attract people to the shops and such between Ida Lee and downtown. Put the skateboard park at Ida Lee as well instead along Catoctin Circle. It makes sense to have at Ida Lee where most of the youth activities are.
As for downtown, I voted for wider sidewalks for cafes and outdoor tables. It would be such a nice touch for the 'burg. Yeah parking is tough, but you have that excellent parking garage there and maybe doing some work along Loudoun and Market sts would be a good idea. Waterford has proposed some new designs along Rt 9 and that is a tight space to get work done.
Ok enough of me rambling here either way, I hope the 'burg keeps its identity and we all can make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia