Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, if you've been to South Coast Plaza then Tyson's is more or less the same. A little smaller but, pretty much the same shops.

By the way, I moved here from Redondo Beach. You'll find lots and lots of Californians here, especially in Reston and the suburbs west of there.

ps. Just a friendly FYI: Don't expect Nova to be like California. It isn't. In some ways they're similar, but this is very much an east coast city. If you really love-love-love California Nova might not be your cup of tea.

Ah, Redondo!

Don't worry Normie, I've lived here my entire life (pretty much, except for college) and am looking to get away from it. I've come to start to hate CA. I went to college in Georgia and my family is from New Jersey, so I already know I like east coast cities much more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
If you like high-end shopping, you should go to the Tysons Galleria instead of Tysons Corner Center.

Whoa, this mall has Neiman's and Saks in the same mall!

I'm surprised there is no Bloomingdale's, but I'm not gonna complain.

Thanks for the link!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:45 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post

Thanks for the link!
Bloomies is in the other Tyson's Mall. They're almost next to each other. Also, a few other stores you usually find in malls have separate stores in the same area (Crate and Barrel, for example).

Old 07-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Don't waste time on Middleburg -- it's cute as could be but if you're only here for a couple days, use your time more efficiently. You need to see how life would be. Two days sounds like a lot but traffic in NoVa is horrendous so you don't want to stray too far and eat up time.

Yes, Tyson's is the best! (There's actually two Tysons -- the orginial Tysons Corner Shopping Center and The Galleria which has the really high end shopping). You could spend two days just there!

I'd second Old Town as a fun place but I'd concentrate on the "everyday things" you will be doing. Wegman's, okay, everyone grocery shops but how about hobbies. Do you play golf? Check out a something like Reston National or Brambleton. Tennis? Bowling? etc -- what is your main hobby that will lead to making friends? That's what you need to check out.

Also, any particular religion? Check out one or two congregations.

Also, consider joining something like Junior League. Great way to meet other young women.

Best of luck and congratulations on the job.

I've also looked into the things I do here to see if they have them over there. I played on a roller derby league, and there happens to be one in NoVa

I'm Russian Orthodox, so I'll also see if there are any churches around; though if anyone has seen on offhand that they know of, let me know! You can't miss those churches.

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

Also, Caladium (sp?), are how far are Clarendon and Ballston from eachother?

Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM

They're pretty close to each other, a mile or two at most.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM

172 posts, read 329,422 times
Katyusha25, welcome to NoVa!
There are 2 Russian Orthodox churches in DC: stjohndc.org and stnicholasdc.org.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
Katyusha25, welcome to NoVa!
There are 2 Russian Orthodox churches in DC: stjohndc.org and stnicholasdc.org.

Thanks so much!!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM

It looks like we're going to have scattered rain showers all weekend, so I'd plan some indoor activities just in case the outdoor ones get rained out. BTW, weather forecast are very unpredictable here so we might not get any rain at all. It's always hard to tell.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM

216 posts, read 632,752 times
If you are looking for more info on the Russian community here, check out russiandc.com.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post

Thanks for the link!
My DD's boyfriend lives just outside of New York, so he has access to some good shopping. He was pretty nonplussed with Tyson's; however, he LOVED The Galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia