Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 18,395 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from Grad school in Miami, FL. I am planning to move to Dunn Loring for a training session. The area zip code would be:22027. However I'd like to look out for jobs and therefore would probably need easy communication to DC and/ or to the city constantly. Since I won't be having any car, therefore it's important to have a good public local transportation system for me.

-Is living in a Dunn Loring a good option?
-What is the easiest way to commute from Dunn Loring to DC? How far would that be according to time distance?
-What about the safety of the place and the diversity of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Dunn Loring has a Metro, so if you live near it, it would be a relatively easy commute to DC. The area around Dunn Loring Metro is slightly rundown but is improving. There is a lot of construction around there, and I believe they are working on building a Town Center mixed-use type development. If and when it happens, I don't know. Having a car might be slightly difficult, but you could probably swing it if you are in relatively good shape. It's not very pedestrian-friendly around there but there are a couple of grocery stores within walking distance of the Metro.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Actually about .7 of a mile from the Dunn Loring metro they are building an area due to be open in fall 2012, you can see the website here Mosaic District by Edens & Avant for more info.

The commute by metro depends on what time you travel. My husband gets on the metro about 5:45 in the morning and it is about a 30 minute commute to Federal Triangle, the ride home in the evenings is usually alittle bit longer. There is also the bus of course. The grocery stores that are walking distance to the metro are 2 Asian stores, if you want anything more you have to drive.

The place seems to be safe, and there is the diversity you are looking for. Not to sure what your budget would be, but it seems to be alittle cheaper than Arlington was.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
A good friend of mine lives in Dunn Loring. I think the name of her place is The Halstead. She takes the metro in every morning and spends a lot of time in the District during the evenings and on the weekend. I think the commute takes her about 45 minutes, but she lives at height of rush hour. She also has a car, which she needs for grocery shopping, dry cleaning, running general errands. It's not the best place to be without a car.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 PM

262 posts, read 840,924 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ield-like.html

http://www.wmata.com

http://www.zipcar.com (enter Dunn Loring)

Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,467 times
I live in a Dunn Loring condo. I think it's great—especially with all the stuff they are building/about to open, it keeps getting better, so now's the time to get in.

Because of the proximity to the metro, there are police around all the time, it's easy to get a cab from the station. I've never felt unsafe, but I'm also aware of my surroundings. I have a car, and drive into dc for work, but use the metro whenever possible for happy hours or go into DC on weekends. It's an ideal location, really, close to 66, the beltway, on the metro, on rte 50 and 29, and less than 10 minutes from my front door to parking in Tysons mall...seriously, it might not be the *closest* place you can get to any one thing, but it IS easily accessible to just about everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia