Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM

14 posts, read 41,140 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am engaged and re-locating to VA. I am going to be living in Del Ray (just north of Old Town) and commuting to work in Woodbridge, VA. The hours are 9-6 mon-th and 9-1 fr. I was thinking that if the commute was that bad I could just go really early and go to the gym prior to work (anyone know of any good gyms in Woodbridge?)

Is 95 the best way to go or Rt. 1. I know this is a reverse commute but I am familiar enough with the area to know that in some cases there is no reverse commute.

If anyone could give me any info on this that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:38 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
It's a pretty good reverse commute in the morning. The afternoons will probably get you until you get up past Lorton. For some reason (possible construction) it is routinely very slow heading north in the afternoon from about the Occoquan exit up through Lorton/Newington. I don't see it everyday (for instance it wasn't backed up today) but it happens at least half the week. I think it is construction.

Rt. 1 is not a great alternative and I would probably just sit through the backup in the afternoon unless you hear that the cause is something major, like an accident. Your best option at that point are some alternate routes up through Lorton because Rt. 1 can be every bit as bad as 95.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 08-23-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 41,140 times
Thank you for the quick response. That is very comforting. I was worried that I may have been in over my head with a crazy commute. Sounds relatively do-able.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:53 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak06001 View Post
Thank you for the quick response. That is very comforting. I was worried that I may have been in over my head with a crazy commute. Sounds relatively do-able.
My friend's daughter was doing an Arlington to Quantico commute (which is a bit farther). It was a piece of cake in the morning (she had a 7:30 a.m. start time) but a little dicey in the afternoon but still nothing over 40 minutes.

Edited to add: Leaving Woodbridge at 6:00 p.m. should be fine going north. The construction is over by then and it should be cleared out. Now, depending where you are within Woodbridge could cost you some time as the local roads are busy with people coming home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia