Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:29 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I have noticed a few things missing after my Maid Service company cleans my house. First, I thought I was responsible for misplacing them, but yesterday, I kept an item on the counter (since it was on the floor and the maids were to come and clean) and an hour after they left, I checked and the item was gone!

After thoroughly searching and re-searching the item (and not finding it), I called the owner and complained to him. He spoke to the maids and then called back saying they had not taken anything from the house. This is a Maid Service company that operates in NoVA.

What are my options to get my items back? I do plan to change the Maid service as well?

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Drop the service. There's not much else you can do.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
I know people who set up webcams if they have suspicions, though in VA you may have to notify people of this in advance. I would suggest using Checkbook.org or Angie's List to choose your next service, if you can't get good recommendations from trusted neighbors.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
K, I've had cleaning services as well, and when I couldn't find things, I thought they were taking them, too. But then I thought, "why would a maid want my makeup brushes?"
Anyway, turns out, if I left something out, they would just put it in some random place to get it out of the way, but also where I'd never see it again. It's really annoying.
Also, if I had some expensive hair product or face cream or cleanser, I (like any normal person) would not throw that container out until every last bit of product was gone. Well, if they picked the container up and felt it was empty, they'd throw it out - which would infuriate me.

I obviously don't know if your maids stole anything or not, but just want to note it's important to set boundaries with them - if they move something, they put it back exactly where they found it and also, DON'T THROW MY STUFF OUT!!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
With the next company, you can tell them in advance that you have webcams (even if you don't ) Tell 'em you like to check it regularly throughout the day, too.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
K, I've had cleaning services as well, and when I couldn't find things, I thought they were taking them, too. But then I thought, "why would a maid want my makeup brushes?"
Anyway, turns out, if I left something out, they would just put it in some random place to get it out of the way, but also where I'd never see it again. It's really annoying.
Also, if I had some expensive hair product or face cream or cleanser, I (like any normal person) would not throw that container out until every last bit of product was gone. Well, if they picked the container up and felt it was empty, they'd throw it out - which would infuriate me.

I obviously don't know if your maids stole anything or not, but just want to note it's important to set boundaries with them - if they move something, they put it back exactly where they found it and also, DON'T THROW MY STUFF OUT!!
I've had the same experience. We used to joke about items entering the "Mary Zone" or the "BerMary Triangle" because for the life of me, I couldn't find any rationale for where things were placed. The only solution to this was for me to spend an extra hour or so making sure stuff was put away before Mary arrived. It was almost to the point where it would have been less trouble for us to do all the cleaning than to do the prep work and/or search for items that had been put somewhere else.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM

106 posts, read 106,845 times
Call the cops?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
See, I did not contact the Maid Service company because each time I dismissed the lost item as "Oh, I must have kept it somwhere!". But this time, I kept the item (USB cable to charge my iPod) on the counter an hour before the maids were to arrive (since it was lying on the floor) and then left to run some errands. When I got back after 2 hours, the maids had come and gone. I wanted to use the USB cable to charge the iPod again, and when I went to get it, it was not on the counter. It was nowhere in the room or in the house, and this time I knew I had kept it on the counter 3 hours ago!

I don't think I can go to the cops without evidence. If the maids have been stealing, there must be so many things they must have taken which I haven't even realized!

Thanks,
K

Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM

106 posts, read 106,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
See, I did not contact the Maid Service company because each time I dismissed the lost item as "Oh, I must have kept it somwhere!". But this time, I kept the item (USB cable to charge my iPod) on the counter an hour before the maids were to arrive (since it was lying on the floor) and then left to run some errands. When I got back after 2 hours, the maids had come and gone. I wanted to use the USB cable to charge the iPod again, and when I went to get it, it was not on the counter. It was nowhere in the room or in the house, and this time I knew I had kept it on the counter 3 hours ago!

I don't think I can go to the cops without evidence. If the maids have been stealing, there must be so many things they must have taken which I haven't even realized!

Thanks,
K
Why would they steal something in plain sight?

Are you sure they didn't place it somewhere else in order to clean the counter?

What others have done is set up a hidden camera.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Hmmm... another point for me leaving the house trashed but I know where everything is, LOL. Sorry, it's been a long day but interesting to read your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia