Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 AM

30 posts, read 35,202 times

Advertisements

tv service with cox is not what i would call service; replaced digital box four times in six months. Think even less of verizon so seriously thinking bout going with an outdoor broadcast antenna. Costco has one for descent $ and if it doesnt work . well you know that story. So who can tell me about the selection of channels available in fairfax area , no hills, tall bldgs, major powerlines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM

246 posts, read 1,354,678 times
You will simply get your basic channels, no food channel, ESPN, etc. If you can live with that then go with the antenna. Cox is really bad with everything. The remote sucks, the box and reception is terrible...signal goes in and out and its expensive. I used to live where they had Comcast and if you thought comcast was bad, cox is worse and you pay 20% more. It such a monopoly with cable companies in an area. You can always try Dish or DirectTV and see how that goes

Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM

262 posts, read 840,924 times
TV Fool

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
I've had DISH for the last couple of years and it's been great. Love their DVR and all their channels.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
Consider a FTA satellite system. Free To Air. Like BBC and Bloomberg. You can watch Bloomberg online for free, but you will need broadband for that. The future of TV is through the Internet. Lots of good stuff on Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.. or Home Page | WhereverTV.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
I have an off-air antenna (Radio Shack) in my basement in Alexandria that works pretty well -- two or three feeds (but usually just one in HD) from each of channels 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 26, 50, plus a bunch of other weird UHF channels. But, none of the cable fare. ESPN is the only thing I miss: just have to watch those games at the bar, darn it! Any cable shows that I want to see I get on DVD, which I've come to find superior to watching them "live".

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM

389 posts, read 1,229,420 times
we live in stafford and only have an antenna in our bedroom. our channels change w/ the seasons. we get more in the winter. sometimes we pick up dc, sometimes richmond, and once in a while baltimore.

the channels we get most often are the MHZ international channels which we enjoy the most. especially the korean show the grand chef on thursday nights.

we usually get fox from dc. after that the consistency goes nbc, abc, and then cbs. they come in better at night, which is when we usually watch tv.

most of the time we watch shows and games online, so it isn't really even an issue.

for a while we used a homemade antenna that my husband put together after watching a youtube video. then he broke down and bought a real one.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I've had DISH for the last couple of years and it's been great. Love their DVR and all their channels.
Do you find weather issues at all? Ours seems to go fuzzy any time we have a thunderstorm. I don't know if that's wide spread or just us.

Their DVR is fantastic though. I love how much space it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia