Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 13,516 times

Advertisements

Seeking advice from folks familiar with the South Lakes area in Reston, in particular the Lake Thoreau shoreline area. We're considering buying a house there, and are seeking feedback on the desirability of that area along the following dimensions:

1. commute to tysons - how reliable is the toll road to deliver a 9 mile commute in less than 30 minutes
2. childcare options - our child will soon turn 1, and it'll be great to have a quality daycare within a short driving distance of the
3. elementary school - sunrise valley seems like highly regarded. Would love to hear some first hand experiences.
4. crime - we've heard that parts of south reston have had crime issues in the past. Does this only apply to parts between reston parkway on the west and fairfax county parkway on the east, or also areas east of the reston parkway such as the south lakes area?

Thanks in advance. This has and continue to be a very highly resourceful forum for us. We've been consulting it since the early days of our move from the San Francisco Bay Area. Looking forward to add to this shared wisdom after living here for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I've lived in the South Lakes area since 2002.

Here are some photos I've posted.
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

Answers to your questions:
1. The toll road is very reliable for a less than 30 minute commute to Tysons. I did it for about 6 months averaging 20 minutes. These days I'm commuting all the way into DC and with no traffic make the toll plaza in 10 minutes and with traffic at 7:45 AM make the toll plaza in about 20 minutes.
2. Reston Children's Center is highly regarded
Welcome to Reston Children's Center
as is Sunset Hillls Montessori
Sunset Hills Montessori School
3. I don't have first hand experience with Sunrise Valley Elementary, but several friends do and have only good things to say about it.
4. The crime issues in the South Lakes area are very minor. Don't leave your car on the street unlocked or you might find you cell phone missing. The more substantial crime issues in South Reston (which are not that substantial in my mind) occur to the west of Reston Parkway.

I would LOVE to live on Lake Thoreau!!!! They do the best non-municipal fireworks every July 4th and Cafesano is right around the corner for a quick bit to eat.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM

83 posts, read 195,429 times
We've lived in South Reston for 7 years and have never been concerned about crime. While it's true that the crime level here might be slightly elevated from other parts of Northern Virginia, it is still minor and far lower than you'll find most places. I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

My wife commutes daily to Tysons (and we live a little farther away than South Lakes) and it's usually a 20 minute drive. (It'll take longer if you have to go well into Tysons.)

Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 PM

8 posts, read 13,516 times
Thanks, thats very encouraging to hear about the low crime and short commute to Tysons. We really like the house and the surroundings. I just wish it were a bit sunnier since there's a canopy of old growth directly behind and to the side of the house. But it also makes it more private and serene. Lake Thoreau is very inviting, we just might go kayaking this weekend to see what its like to boat in one of Reston's many lakes.

Thanks for your responses. We hope to be Restonites soon.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
Also, for what it's worth, Lake Thoreau is very close to the future Wiehle Avenue Metro station on Metro's Silver Line that is scheduled to open in late 2013/early 2014. That line will make several stops in Tysons Corner, which may offer you another commuting option. Depending where along Lake Thoreau you live, you could even walk from your house to the Wiehle station in 15 minutes or so. I would also encourage you to buy now, as you indicated you planned to do, because if historical experience is any guide, prices for housing near a Metro station will escalate as soon as the station is open.

Downside is that for now, between the ongoing construction of the Silver Line along the Toll Road media and the ongoing construction of the Beltway HOT lanes near Tysons, commuting may be worse for the next couple of years (I saw back-ups on the Toll Road this summer the likes of which I hadn't seen in previous years), but as the old saying goes, "No pain, no gain".

Good luck with the move, and welcome to Reston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia