Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 24,390 times

Advertisements

Moving from Tampa,FL in a 2 months, I'll be starting my M.S. program at VaTech's campus in Falls Church/Alexandria. Since I would like to qualify for in-state tuition next year, I really need to find a place to live and work in the area (preferably within walking distance to the Metro Orange Line). I don't have a treasure chest of money to spend on rent though. No more than $800.
I'll be living with my cousin in Spring Spring,MD at first. But that will be temporary because she lives in a studio and it will get crazy for us eventually (she has her own life, working on PhD, work, etc.). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
If you're looking for rent under 800, I suggest getting a roommate. Even if you get a 2 bedroom apt and split it with a roomie, a nice place can be easily attained under 800. Otherwise, be prepare to be living in the slums of whoknowswhat. Congrats on working on your MS, though! I just left Tech's campus a few months ago and I miss being a Hokie already.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:13 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
i'm with smerkygrl, get a roommate and find a decent place in Arlington or Alexandria City. the only 1-bed place even close to a metro that is decently safe possibly within your price range would New Carrollton in MD and that would be a LONG ride to Falls Church.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
Va Tech's Falls Church campus is on Haycock Road, right next to the West Falls Church metro station. The only way you could live in that area for $800 a month is with a roommate (or two). There are some apartment complexes nearby -- the Peachtree of McLean is on Route 7 a mile or so down the road, Idylwood Towers is a condo complex on Pimmit Road with rentals available. If you found a place close to the campus, you could even do without a car, as there is a large shopping center across the street from the campus/metro stop complex.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Va Tech's Falls Church campus is on Haycock Road, right next to the West Falls Church metro station. The only way you could live in that area for $800 a month is with a roommate (or two). There are some apartment complexes nearby -- the Peachtree of McLean is on Route 7 a mile or so down the road, Idylwood Towers is a condo complex on Pimmit Road with rentals available. If you found a place close to the campus, you could even do without a car, as there is a large shopping center across the street from the campus/metro stop complex.
Just an FYI, Peachtree of Mclean wanted 1400/month for a 1 bedroom when I went to inquire about them. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:22 PM

165 posts, read 555,278 times
First of all, My deepest sympathy's to you for the loss of your classmates last may. I think the whole country became Hokies with ya. Anyway my question is, Can you get a Studio down there under 500 ? And whats the Job Market like down in Alixandria......Not Old Town but the main part ?

Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
First of all, My deepest sympathy's to you for the loss of your classmates last may. I think the whole country became Hokies with ya. Anyway my question is, Can you get a Studio down there under 500 ? And whats the Job Market like down in Alixandria......Not Old Town but the main part ?
You will be lucky if sharing dosen't run you 500 a month let alone a studio. The job market is really good in Alexandria and the whole DC area.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Anyway my question is, Can you get a Studio down there under 500 ?
You can probably rent a parking space here for under 500. Build up some walls around it with paper boxes and that'd be your studio under 500. Other than that, be prepared to shell out around 900-1k for a studio.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,566 times
Like what the others stated...finding an apartment for $800 in the DC Metro area is going to be hard pressed. $800 rent was around in the mid to late 90's!!. You are most likely going to have to pay $950+ for a one bedroom even in a third tier apartment complex. You may also want to consider looking at KSI properties, which are nice apartment complexes that have income and occupancy restrictions. KSI has acquired many older complexes, but also has many newley built communities too. And just about all of thier properties are safe, and resident's are both blue and white collar singles/families. Definately consider getting a studio, or roomating too!

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocopuff View Post
Moving from Tampa,FL in a 2 months, I'll be starting my M.S. program at VaTech's campus in Falls Church/Alexandria. Since I would like to qualify for in-state tuition next year, I really need to find a place to live and work in the area (preferably within walking distance to the Metro Orange Line). I don't have a treasure chest of money to spend on rent though. No more than $800.
I'll be living with my cousin in Spring Spring,MD at first. But that will be temporary because she lives in a studio and it will get crazy for us eventually (she has her own life, working on PhD, work, etc.). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Just in case you're not aware (you may already be?), but you have to be a state resident for 12 months before you qualify for "in state" tuition. It's like that in most every state. So if you move in Sep. '07, then you would have to wait until sep '08 to get "in state" tuition. I moved to NC last year and started school in Aug. '06. I won't qualify for "in state" tuition until next month. Of course I'm going to a private school so it doesn't mean much, but I'll qualify for a state grant for full-time students in Aug. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia