Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM

40 posts, read 134,395 times

Advertisements

Hi Virginia friends, need help finding a good , not chain restaurant on our way to visit family in Maryland for the Holiday. Any suggestions, we would like a small independent place if possible.Feel will be tired and ready for a break around Frederickburg. Chains are too loud and noisey and not restful. We would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance. Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,671 times
Castiglias

and if you want a coffee shop

http://www.hyperionespresso.com/

Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

204 posts, read 665,911 times
The Bavarian Chef is great. Nice atmosphere, good food. Bring your appetite.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 PM

303 posts, read 592,204 times
Is this for lunch or dinner? What is your price range?

There are several good restaurants right in the heart of the Town of Fredericksburg which are all independent owners some middle price range and some up there.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
It's a bit north of Fredericksburg (and I agree that there are tons of good restaurants IN Old Town/downtown Fredericksburg), but Zum Rheingarten just off of I-95 in Stafford is really, really incredible, if you like German food and a cute atmosphere (the tables are arranged in the rooms of an old house, Bros. Grimm fairy tale illustration murals decorate the walls, etc.):

Welcome "Zum Rheingarten" a taste of Germany in Northern Virginia

Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
The Bavarian Chef is great. Nice atmosphere, good food. Bring your appetite.
Totally agree, but I don't think of it as near Fredericksburg. It's on rt. 29 towards Charlottesville.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Head to downtown Fredericksburg, there's mostly (if not all) small independent places. We loved going to Castiglia's. I'd name others, but I don't know if they're still there. I've also heard that Kybecca has a wine bar with some good food. You can also get a nice bottle or two there to bring as a gift to MD (there's also the Virginia wine store down the street).

It's sort of a chain (started in Richmond, I think), but I've also heard great things about Capital Alehouse.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Totally agree, but I don't think of it as near Fredericksburg. It's on rt. 29 towards Charlottesville.
They are in the old train station building in Downtown Fredericksburg now.

And I replied to the thread in the general VA section with 4 suggestions of my own. (Places a bit closer to the highway... I don't think it would be worth them driving all the way into downtown Fredericksburg for lunch when they're on a road trip...)

Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 AM

40 posts, read 134,395 times
Thanks guys all your suggestions sound great. We are stopping for lunch and a rest before getting back on 95 to go up to Laurel Maryland for the holiday. Just would like something not so noisy and frantic. Will need a rest not gritting of teeth. Thank you all again you have saved the day. We have always been able to rely on our "friends" from citydata to help us with this kind of thing. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!! Vic

Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Try Olde Towne Steak and Seafood in downtown Fredericksburg (on Princess Anne St.)...it's totally delicious! Their prime rib is HUGE and unlike anyone elses...and their seafood is to die for. It's a bit pricey, but totally worth it for especially a special occassion!
It's not "right" off the interstate, but it's not too far, either. Google it, and give them a call...you'll truly enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia