Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:51 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times

Advertisements

My parents are getting multiple harassing telephone calls per day from a so-called charitable organization. They claim that my parents made a pledge and have not honored that pledge. They call several times a day and are quite belligerent and abusive. My parents are in their 80's, are in poor health and are very stressed and frightened. They swear up and down that they have not promised anything to this organization but I am not 100% sure if this is reliable.

I don't live in their local area but my parents are Virginia residents. Can anyone advise me about steps I can take on their behalf or advice that I can offer? Please help. Any constructive advice is appreciated.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-08-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:53 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,823 times
I would first get your parents on the Do Not Call list. Google it.

I would also get the name of this charitable organization and call them and address the matter with them. Tell them if they do not stop this behavior immediately that you will call the local police department and that they may find themselves having to come down to the local courthouse to sort matters out.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Do your parents have caller ID? IF so, don't even answer - if they know the number, I agree: Google it: you might be able to file a complaint with the local Consumer Complaint agency. It's a shame that some "companies" seem to find older people to try to prey on.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Call *57 after the calls come in...this logs the calls in a database and is sent directly to the police.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,347 times
Get caller ID and don't answer any calls you don't know.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,879 times
I know in IL, where we just moved down from, you could call the Attorney General's office and they would investigate. Even if your parents had made a pledge, they are in no obligation to pay it. If an organization calls after you've asked them to stop, it is harassment and it is illegal.

I wish the best for you and your parents. There are so many scammers who try to take advantage of the elderly.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:05 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. particularly the one on contacting the Attorney General's office. The VA Attorney General has a website and an 800 number. My parents don't fill in website forms but they would feel comfortable using an 800 number.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
I would first get your parents on the Do Not Call list. Google it.

I would also get the name of this charitable organization and call them and address the matter with them. Tell them if they do not stop this behavior immediately that you will call the local police department and that they may find themselves having to come down to the local courthouse to sort matters out.
Make sure they are on the "No Call List". I had a person call me several times from some boiler room hustler and told him point blank "call me one more time and I'm going to sue your ass" in a very loud voice. I am on the no call list.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
yes, get them on the no-call list. But this doesn't apply to "charities" (since they aren't selling etc... a LOOP HOLE) But you can get go on-line and register the number for them. It will get rid of telemarketers etc...

Also, you can call the origanization yourself and ask that the number be taken off thier calling list. After you requested it then they can be fined if they call again.

Contacting the AG office is also warreted in this place since the harrassing calls have continued.

As others have said EVEN if they did say yes to a pledge...they are under no OBLIGATION to pay it. (sometimes these "chartitable" organizations are very sneaky in getting pledges etc... ESP with elderly citizens) Get the name of the organization and report them. When they call your parents have your parents tell them "take me OFF your list, I have contacted the AG office and reported you!"

hopefully that will take care of it.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 AM

931 posts, read 3,802,347 times
Everyone should have a phone with caller ID. Don't waste your time with do not call list and attorneys. The callers will just call from a different number and change the name of their company. Most of them have multiple names. The easiest thing is to just look at the caller ID, if you don't know who it is, don't answer it. If it is important, they will leave a message. If they are an important person, they have other ways of contacting you (email or cell phone). If they leave a message and it is bull****, delete it and think nothing more of it. My parents get 10-20 calls a night from 5pm-7pm on the home phone. They don't even pick it up if they don't recognize the number. So easy to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia