Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,655 times

Advertisements

I'd love any recommendations for the following:
  • Dog groomers
  • Doggie daycare / boarding facilities
  • Asian markets (groceries)
  • Recreation centers w/ pools
  • Toddler playgrounds (are there any indoor playgrounds?)

Also, are there any areas in Fairfax County that may be deemed unsafe or not so desirable? We've pretty much determined that we want to live in F.C. and are trying to determine which neighborhoods narrow our search down to. We have a 16 month old and would love to live in a neighborhood with other young families. Being near a metro and communting aren't as big of issues as are being in a kid/dog friendly (and safe) neighborhood. Any recommendations as to which areas we should look at? We'll probably rent for the first year, or atleast until we're more familiar with the area. We'd like to keep our rent at around $2k/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
gnu

55 posts, read 250,862 times
There is an H Mart at Merrifield, and a Super H Mart in Fairfax City along Lee Hwy. Providence is a decent rec center with indoor/outdoor pool and gym. There are also a number of regular gyms in the area.

I don't think any part of Fairfax could be called unsafe, but off the top of my head I would say some undesireable neighborhoods are Culmore/Bailey's Crossroads, or along Columbia Pike. Personally, I'd stay west of Seven Corners, or, if east of it, above 66.

Falls Church is a nice quiet suburban area, and the City of FC has lots of young couples due to the walking distance of the elementary school. Fairfax City has more of an old-timey city center feel to it. Again, almost all of FC is really affluent and safe, and I don't think that there is anywhere that is outright dangerous (except maybe the Culmore/BC area - fine for shopping, but I woudn't want to have to call it home).

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 AM

566 posts, read 2,987,302 times
I would also stay away from Hybla Valley. It's a pretty rough section of the county. Just a thought, but you may also want to research the western suburbs. Fairfax is already saturated with businesses, so you may have a better chance of making it if you went to western Loudoun or western Prince William.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:12 AM

414 posts, read 2,282,660 times
I can't really answer all of your questions, because they exist all throughout NoVa...but in terms of the Asian Market you may want to consider Eden Center (703) 204-4600 in Bailey's Crossroads in Falls Church. This is probably the largest centralized Asian shopping conglomeration in NoVa.

There's also a nice little Thai shopping center on Route 7 going towards Skyline (next to the Thai Resturant). The other Asian spot I know if is called Ban Thai, and it's located on Route 1 in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County. Other Asian shopping spots are pretty much just scattered through out NoVa.

Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,598,060 times
Clarendon/Arlington - Little Saigon Vietnamese district
Bailey's Crossroads/Falls Church - Eden Center Vietnamese mall
Merrifield - H Mart Korean market
Fairfax City - Lotte and Super H Mart
Centreville - Grand Mart Korean/Hispanic market
Sterling - Grand Mart Korean/Hispanic market

Lotte and Super H Mart have a eat-in food court.

There are a lot of smaller Korean grocery stores in Annandale and Springfield. Those two and Fairfax have a large Korean population.

There's a small Japanese grocery store in McLean called Naniwa. There are two more across the state line in Rockville and Bethesda. Rockville has a about a half-dozen Chinese and Korean grocery stores on or just off the Pike, including the previously mentioned H Mart and Lotte.

There seem to be a number of Indian grocery stores in the Herndon and Sterling areas. Since they're building Bahai Faith temple on Rte 7 in Sterling, there's probably a decent size population in that area (including Great Falls, Reston, and Ashburn).

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,502,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaulani View Post
I'd love any recommendations for the following:

--Dog groomers
--Doggie daycare / boarding facilities
In addition to the Asian markets, Merrifield is home to A Dog's Day Out, a large 24/7/365 cageless boarding facility for dogs. There are other boarders and many groomers and trainers in the area. This is an upscale region and people here have pets and want to treat them well, so the services you seek should be quite easy to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaulani View Post
--Recreation centers w/ pools
Fairfax County runs nine Rec Centers, and I think all of them have pools. Swimming is a very big deal in NoVa so acquatic facilities abound. The Rec Centers are clean, modern, and up to date in terms of facilities, and they support a wide range of activities. $6.50 per visit, no other fees or charges. You can also get monthly and yearly passes at a discount if you'll go often. Area YMCA/YWCA's also tend to have nice pools. Most neighborhoods also have private outdoor pools for summer use. More than 100 of those pools compete in the Northern Virginia Swim League. Many of the high schools also have swim-and-dive teams.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,109,367 times
Default Toddler Activities

As far as toddler activities, we like Burke Lake Park in Fairfax Station. It has a carrousel, a little train, ducks, etc. It's a beautiful park and a lot of fun for young ones. You can see farm animals at Frying Pan Park in Herndon. The Reston Zoo is also neat for toddlers, especially the petting zoo. Many developments have a tot playground and sometimes an outdoor pool too.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:21 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,598,060 times
If you move into Fairfax County, you might want to take a side trip to the Clemyjontri Playground in McLean.

Playground: Clemyjontri Park, Clemy Park, Fairfax County Park Authority (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/clemyjontri/playground.htm - broken link)

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,372 times
Thumbs up I take my Beagle to Olde Town Pet Resort in Springfield

[quote=kehaulani;1044163]I'd love any recommendations for the following:
[LIST][*]Dog groomers[*]Doggie daycare / boarding facilities[/LIST]

I take my Beagle to Olde Town Pet Resort in Springfield [url=http://www.oldetownepetresort.com]Olde Towne Pet Resort - Northern Virginia Pet Care services, Boarding, Grooming, Spa Treatment[/url] - it's not far from 95 near blacklick and Alban roads. They are very nice, very clean and very accommodating as I work near the Pentagon and sometimes need to leave the dog for just a full day of "doggie day care" if my husband or kids won't be home to take care of the dog midday or dinner time. I've called at the last minute and they've usually been able to get us "in"

They have grooming there so I get the dog bathed and his nails clipped when needed.

The staff is very friendly. I have used other services in Fairfax but they are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: