Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:54 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Here's the deal, at least in DoD lately: Only veterans are making the certs.

That's exactly what I have heard through several that are supervisors and in hiring positions.

Is that why we see the same announcement popping up over and over as if someone behind the scene is playing game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wow, that's amazing. That is so different from what happened at my last agency (you know which one) earlier this year: A veteran (one of my former direct reports) was in line to get my old job; he did it in an acting role when I left. Very capable, well-liked guy. It was absurd the rigmarole they put him through. They not only interviewed candidates from outside DoD; they actually did second interviews! They got a lot of people's hopes up for nothing.

Interesting in your case that it was an admiral--a future vet!-- who had to intervene to make sure a civilian was treated fairly.
I know. This has all happened within the last year. So it's been very recent.

I was going through the hiring process in January. I was called by my HR rep who was sorting through my applications and she said to me (with disappointment in her voice) "You know, I had three really qualified vets I was going to give you and be done with it, and they seemed so well qualified, but all three of them made minor mistakes on their uploaded resume (mainly they didn't include their hours worked) that I can't send them to you, so I'll have to send you these three other people." Holy moly and thank goodness those vets messed up their resume because the person I wanted (non-vet) had 25 years in this niche field and she would not have even made my cert otherwise. In no way do I believe that the 3 vets had the experience. We are a very small, almost incestuous community, and this position was in an even more limited part of that community.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:19 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I'm talking about professional jobs like working in an IT Office, US Senate Offices, Parliamentary Offices, etc.

And did you forget that veterans, those with disabilities, and native americans get preference? Everyone is NOT getting in the normal way. That's almost laughable.
Native Americans only get preference in specific positions, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia